Lumpskie's 1989 Grand Wagoneer Build

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagoneer
Lump,

I'm running a B&M plate style like others have mentioned. Now, learn from me.

On 3 separate occasions. Read that again. 3. separate. occasions...All under the exact same conditions might i add, I have popped a trans line where the rubber hose slips over the metal lines that were cut exiting/entering the transmission. When its cold out and that fluid starts pumping the pressure is way higher, and it pushes my line off.

One time, i was parked but didnt notice until i lost about 4 quarts.

One time, the line didnt let go until I put it in drive after backing out of my driveway. I dumped all that the trans could pull from the pan onto the brand new resurfaced streets in my nazi-like HOA.

The most recent time, we were headed out in a snow storm and i got out to check if it popped, which it did. Only lost a few quarts that time, in my driveway at my new house. drove to autozone and filled it up in a blizzard.

Moral of the story is that you NEED to slightly flare the end of the tube, or else you'll be like Marn. Dont be like Marn.

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagoneer
The factory setup runs it through both the external cooler and the cooler in the radiator - this helps get the trans fluid up to operating temp more quickly when it's cold out. I believe you move the inlet that currently goes into your radiator to the inlet on the external trans cooler, then run the outlet of the external trans cooler to trans cooler inlet on the radiator. You don't touch the existing outlet line that goes from the radiator to the trans.

Yup, thats correct. route it to the external cooler first, then back into the radiator.

Lump,

I'm running a B&M plate style like others have mentioned. Now, learn from me.

On 3 separate occasions. Read that again. 3. separate. occasions...All under the exact same conditions might i add, I have popped a trans line where the rubber hose slips over the metal lines that were cut exiting/entering the transmission. When its cold out and that fluid starts pumping the pressure is way higher, and it pushes my line off.

One time, i was parked but didnt notice until i lost about 4 quarts.

One time, the line didnt let go until I put it in drive after backing out of my driveway. I dumped all that the trans could pull from the pan onto the brand new resurfaced streets in my nazi-like HOA.

The most recent time, we were headed out in a snow storm and i got out to check if it popped, which it did. Only lost a few quarts that time, in my driveway at my new house. drove to autozone and filled it up in a blizzard.

Moral of the story is that you NEED to slightly flare the end of the tube, or else you'll be like Marn. Dont be like Marn.

What I usually do is to install the ferrel for a compression fitting, then cut the brass nut, leaving the ferrel on the line. It's a pain to get the hose over the ferrel, but it won't pop back off.

thethePete

Explorer
^ That seems a lot more complicated and expensive than grabbing a flare tool and putting a slight flare in the end of the line... It doesn't need to be much, just enough to keep the hose from sliding back off.

lumpskie

Independent Thinker
Thanks for the info, guys. Doc: I think I'll try and learn from your lesson and flare the hard lines when I install my cooler. Derf (from FSJN) has a flare tool, I believe. Now... all I need is some free time. (probably won't be until May)

chasespeed

Explorer
If you have the ability to flare it, get a set of flare nuts in the appropriate size, and the matching fitting...

Or even simpler, get a compression to barbed fitting.

But, if you're going to flare, a bubble flare works great.

I prefer Swagelok, but, only if I have any kicking around... Don't wanna pay for it...

Chase

Dr. Marneaus

Station Wagoneer
Thanks for the info, guys. Doc: I think I'll try and learn from your lesson and flare the hard lines when I install my cooler. Derf (from FSJN) has a flare tool, I believe. Now... all I need is some free time. (probably won't be until May)

Vatozone or orielly or whatever your local flavor of parts shop is will rent you one for free.99 as well.

lumpskie

Independent Thinker
If you have the ability to flare it, get a set of flare nuts in the appropriate size, and the matching fitting...

Or even simpler, get a compression to barbed fitting.

But, if you're going to flare, a bubble flare works great.

I prefer Swagelok, but, only if I have any kicking around... Don't wanna pay for it...

Chase

Good to know. I'll have to Google "bubble flare" and see what that is. What ever I do, I want to only do it once and not have to come back to it.

Vatozone or orielly or whatever your local flavor of parts shop is will rent you one for free.99 as well.

That's a great idea.

I (finally) finished the hardwood floor install in the rental. So here's the priority list:

1. Hitch, purchase and install
2. Rear lift, cut and install stock overload leafs
3. Transmission Cooler, Make brackets, flare stock lines and install the universal cooler.

lumpskie

Independent Thinker
My buddy rented a cabin up in Idaho Springs for his Colorado visit. The Waggy seemed to really "fit" in that setting. Now, I want to buy a cabin!

Mitch502

Explorer
Thanks Mitch! I'm glad to see you back on the thread.

Haha, yea, winter kinda got me down there for a bit. I've only drove the Jeep a handful of times since November...but I'm slowly fixing things to where they need to be again...

I'll be building my 8.8 pretty soon, just have to find a time to run to the JY and pick one up.

ExplorerTom

Explorer
I fertilized before this storm hit. The grass that is exposed is nice and green. The rest of it in the front yard, south facing, should be uncovered by Wednesday- just in time for it to snow again!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998