Lunacy to mount a bike hitch rack to the front of a '97 Disco?

nac

Picked up a '97 disco 5-speed with little rust and tons of character. I have a Kuat NV bike rack which even when lowered, renders the rear door useless. Would it be lunacy to mount it on the front of the truck? If yes, anyone know of a good tray hitch rack that can handle mountain bikes that sways to the side instead of down? (With a 2-inch lift, I can imagine loading bikes on the roof).UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_11f8.jpg

I don't think anything is lunacy bolted anywhere to a Landy if it serves a legit purpose. Many of us probably wouldn't bat an eye at it. I do think it's illegal in most states though. City buses have them but I know in Hawaii and Cali is a mass transit liability thing as to allow them to be visible to the driver for theft and securing of the bikes. They also sit low enough to not impede the drivers vision which is what I believe most states have laws for.

Check the law as it's probably something like driver impedance laws. Otherwise I think you might just need to find a bumper with a hitch receiver. Most likely a custom application, but I'm sure for older Discos something exists from the Euro/Africa/Oz market.

Sorry I can only help on the suggestion of some potential law issues.

ColoDisco

Explorer
I find most bike racks block lights, as this is a safety issue I am surprised they are not closely regulated. That being said you would not want to block your headlights at night. Pretty sure you would be pulled over for that.

kcabpilot

Observer
Been thinking of fabricating one of my own that would cradle over the spare and ladder, it could be elegantly simple since a mountain bike doesn't weigh a whole lot. I used to carry them on the front of my truck with the camper. It looked weird and they got a bit beat up with bugs and rock chips, not to mention dirt and road grime. In my opinion it would be better to find a rear mount solution.

nac

I appreciate the responses - all very useful. I'll investigate the laws in NC about front mounting. The compact geometry on the top tubes of my bike make the Yakima unworkable but that is the one that appeals to me the most. I really am limited to tray racks. Maybe I'm better off putting a luggage carrier on top and sliding bikes in the back and getting rid of the hitch rack but I really like the idea of carrying two bikes, another person, a dog and a cooler of beer.

rcharrette

Adventurer
RAK Attach Swing mount

Expedition Portal recently did a gear test on the Kuat NV with the RAK Attach swing mount. This would be what you need. Scroll towards the bottom: http://expeditionportal.com/trail-tested-kuat-nv-2-0-with-rak-attach-swing-out-mount/
If you mount on the front you will likely be pulled over for obstructing your turn signals.
I have the NV was well with the 2 bike add on on my LR3. Luckily in the dropped position I can open the hatch! Good luck.

ColoDisco

Explorer
I have seen those swing outs on some eurovans and they allow full access to the hatch. If you've seen a eurovan hatch that is impressive. :)

KyleT

Explorer
I used a hitch extender with my Yakima hitch rack. Back door on a d2 could open more than half way with the rack lowered like that. I mounted the rack so the forward bike handlebars were on the pass side to maximize room. Opposite how yours are oriented.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nonimouse

Cynical old bastard
I extended the main tube on my receiver hitch so that I can slide it out far enough to access the rear door

nac

thanks XJINTX. this looks promising. how much rattling? any downsides I need to be aware of?

XJINTX

Explorer
No ratteling if tightened properly I use a hitch tightner it's like a u bolt. The only drawback is departure angle if thats an issue where you go. I am actually going on a big bend trip that I will be looking out for this issue. I hope a non issue but never know. I've done some pretty hard trails and not issue yet.

Trailguy

I might suggest a hitch extender. i had to use one on my Land Rover HSE and it allowed me to open the hatch/tailgate with the rack still attached. Less than $100 if I recall.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman