Lure of the Open Road

kcowyo

ExPo Original
Two 21 year old women grab their bicycles and camera and take a 2,500 mile trip around the United States. In 1944....

The Lure of the Open Road ---> story link

"In 1944, a dear friend, Doris Roy, and I undertook an adventurous journey that we dreamed of during countless hikes together over our college holidays. We had been Camp Fire Girls together, loving the out-of-doors, camping and hiking the open road. Our dreams finally developed into a plan to ride bicycles from our home in Buffalo, New York, to Cairo, Illinois, where the Ohio River met the Mississippi. We admired Mark Twain’s adventures, had read his Life on the Mississippi, and sought to follow his path to the Midwest."

cover.jpg

map.jpg

p2006_045.jpg

shadowhaus

That is awesome. I'm halfway through the story and I can feel the lure of the open road.

2 of the things I want to do before I die is to hike the Discovery Trail from Delaware to California and hike the Pacific Crest Trail from the Mexico border to the Canada border. Reading this is just making the itch that much itchier.

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
And to think if any of us was to follow in their foot steps (Pedal Strokes) today, we outfit ourselves with $1000 of dollars of titatium parts, the best wicking clothing and probably have a support vehicle or two

Here you have two young ladies doing it on steel monsters, no suspension and coaster brakes. In my book, those are two of the tuffest women I've ever heard of in my life!!

Forget the iron butt awards these ADV riders shell out to one another on their cushy cycles, the trophy should have these two chicks on top of it:bowdown:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger