LX 570 or GX460

wesel123

Explorer
Hey gents, need a bit if help picking a tow vehicle.

I missing my LC something fierce and the 4 Runners lack of V8 is driving me crazy.

So I was thinking if used 200 series but the prices are a bit out of reach still. And there seem to be a plethora of LX 570's and GX 460's in the low 30k price point.

So if you guys had a choice which way would you go?

I'm leaning towards the 570 due to the kinship with the LC. Minus the 20" wheels, lame approach angels and fixed running boards. But I'm not planning a using it a our main offroad rig. Our 4runner Trail is here to cover that aspect.

My biggest worry on the 570 is the AHC system and possible failure. Also not sure if I could just pull the system and install an OME kit.

The GX 460 is everything I think I want but the tow capacity is 6500lbs. Which is overly sufficient for our current Airstream but we may plan to upgrade to a 25 footer in 5 to 6 years. So I could deal with that probelms then. (And it's not a 200 series...;))

Also the GX is a bit less expensive.

Uggg....just not sure I need a bit of counseling boys!!!

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Well, the LX570 IS a 200 series, so if you can find one on budget, I'd go for it!

The AHC has been around for a long time and is pretty reliable. You should give Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters a call. He has a bunch of 200 series experience.

sseaman

Adventurer
Make sure you will be fine with the rear swing door on the 460, it is a hurdle I would be able to overcome. Also, if you need to use the 3rd row and carry anything behind the seat that space is very small.

Klierslc

Explorer
If towing is the intended use, the 570 wins. The extra wheelbase is a plus, as is the more powerful engine. That said, if AHC is a concern, just get a 200 series land cruiser--should be more affordable than both and is plenty luxurious.

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
Doesn't the 460 have AHC, albeit pneumatic instead of hydraulic? My GX470 does and it seems to be far more problematic than the hydraulic AHC found in Landcruisers.

wesel123

Explorer
The GX that I have lined up is not the premium model and has the standard shock and spring set up. Which will allow me to upgrade to some OME's.

The wife and I went for a test drive of the 2 and she likes the size of the GX better then the LX. She felt as though driving the LX around town would be a pain. I kind of agree, my 100 series felt way more nimble. We also talked a bit more about when we would upgrade to a larger Airstream, and that is still 8 to 10 years away. So we may end going the GX route.

Tremek

We have both an 80 and a 200, and I had a 100 in the past - the idea that the 200 is somehow harder to drive around town versus a 100 is all in your head. The physical size difference is negligible. The 200 is the best SUV I have ever owned, and that's after having gone through the 100, Mercedes GLs, BMW X5s, a 4runner, a couple Broncos, a Saab 9-7x Aero (TBSS), A Cayenne Turbo, a 2nd gen Xterra, and more. Get a 200 - the GX is good, but not great!

wesel123

Explorer
That's good to know. I'm looking. For the real world knowledge.

That being said we have nixed both the GX andthe LX. We have 3 200 series lined up for us to choose from.

I just decided that replacing my 100 was what I really wanted.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78