LX600 vs GX550; opinions

nickw

Adventurer
We are still debating these rigs - but a current MY LX600 or wait for a GX550, name on list, wait a year.

Anybody have any insight or thought through this same scenario?

nickw

Adventurer
ASSuming the 550 is cheaper- I’d go that route. It’s going to have plenty of power and all the off road goodies.
True - the devil you know vs don't is the issue I guess. I'm guessing the 550 will be ~$20k cheaper all said and done.....but will it be built to the same standard? LX has the same/sim engine but 60hp more.

Had considered a IG but no way I'd have one as a primary car.....

nickw

Adventurer
I think the GX looks way better if that helps you at all lol
It does - opinions welcome....I like the look of the GX better but would need to sit in one to see what the visibility is like vs LX600. Some of the newer Toyotas like the 4Runner and Tacoma I struggle with, feel too enclosed, the older cruisers were really good visibility.

zgfiredude

I have followed one bit of advice my whole life. "Never buy the first year of a new model."

With that said, the 600 is the last of a style of vehicle that we likely will never see again. That in and of itself makes it tough to pass on. You likely will NEVER "lose money" on it if that is a consideration.

The new one will have all the hype and consumer want associated with a highly anticipated new flagship........that's a lot to live up to, and will it? Only time will tell. BUT, if you are into new progressive technology and "being the first" then the 550 will be hard to pass on and it most likely will have less of the first year blues that many vehicles have.

It's a tough call. There is no harm in going with the 600 now and seeing how the fervor over the new model pans out and availability improves. You'll likely be able to have the 600 for a year or two and sell it for more than you buy it for should you choose to switch.

RND1

Observer
The GX550 pricing is out - starts at $63k up to $79k with the overtrail at $67k (33" AT's, rear locker, etc). LX600 starts at $93k up to $133k with no Overtrail type option. Since you're on this forum is it safe to assume you're looking for something to overland in? If so, I'd wait for the GX. My 2 cents.

If you gotta have something now, I'd look for a gently used Heritage Edition 200.

SkiWill

It does - opinions welcome....I like the look of the GX better but would need to sit in one to see what the visibility is like vs LX600. Some of the newer Toyotas like the 4Runner and Tacoma I struggle with, feel too enclosed, the older cruisers were really good visibility.

This is no surprise to me, but the differentiation between LC and other Toyota products is being diminished. They are on a shared platform with almost all the same parts between 250 series and 300 series. It's now become a differentiation of size and luxury according to the Land Cruiser chief engineer. For that reason, I'd wait for the GX550 rather than getting an LX600 unless you absolutely need 7 seats. The over trail GX550 only comes as a 5 seater.

That's why Toyota is not bringing the 300 series Land Cruiser as a "Land Cruiser." It's become too luxurious. VW failed with the Phaeton. No one wanted to buy a VW badged Audi A8L when they could buy an Audi A8L. Since the 300 series is a luxury barge, people will pay for a Lexus luxury badge but not a Toyota that costs $100k. That's why the Lexus 200 series outsold the Toyota 200 series in the US. The 4Runner was a money making printing press, but I'd bet Toyota either lost or made almost nothing with the low volume 200 series and it was not worth the hassle to get it federalized.

Also, the visibility of the open air greenhouse of the 60 Series is gone forever and will never come back. Due to crash safety standards, roof strength, rollover, side impact etc. A pillars, B pillars, etc. are going to be bigger and doors thicker than old LCs so you will never have that unobstructed 360 view like an old Jeep Grand Wagoneer or 55 or 60 series LC. That's reality in 2023.

nickw

Adventurer

This is no surprise to me, but the differentiation between LC and other Toyota products is being diminished. They are on a shared platform with almost all the same parts between 250 series and 300 series. It's now become a differentiation of size and luxury according to the Land Cruiser chief engineer. For that reason, I'd wait for the GX550 rather than getting an LX600 unless you absolutely need 7 seats. The over trail GX550 only comes as a 5 seater.

That's why Toyota is not bringing the 300 series Land Cruiser as a "Land Cruiser." It's become too luxurious. VW failed with the Phaeton. No one wanted to buy a VW badged Audi A8L when they could buy an Audi A8L. Since the 300 series is a luxury barge, people will pay for a Lexus luxury badge but not a Toyota that costs $100k. That's why the Lexus 200 series outsold the Toyota 200 series in the US. The 4Runner was a money making printing press, but I'd bet Toyota either lost or made almost nothing with the low volume 200 series and it was not worth the hassle to get it federalized.

Also, the visibility of the open air greenhouse of the 60 Series is gone forever and will never come back. Due to crash safety standards, roof strength, rollover, side impact etc. A pillars, B pillars, etc. are going to be bigger and doors thicker than old LCs so you will never have that unobstructed 360 view like an old Jeep Grand Wagoneer or 55 or 60 series LC. That's reality in 2023.
Best greenhouse rig I've ever been in was a Range Rover Classic, knees were damn near at the dash.

With that said, some are WAY worse than others, LX600 was fine as was the 200, Tacoma is bad IMO, modern RR's are good and I'd guess the IG is pretty darn good too but I've never sat in one. My guess is the GX550 is good based on the photos, but the only way to tell is by sitting in it.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
LX has the same/sim engine but 60hp more.
True. But how much more does the LX weigh?

Sidebar.... How many people will be in the vehicle on average? (Not sure if you have kiddos / dogs etc...)

For me, I'd wait for the GX. 5 pass is fine for me. 1 kid has her own car already and other kid probably will within a couple years. We have a small dog as well. I'd like the smaller size of the GX too.

Both are nice vehicles. But, the LX is more vehicle than we'd need and I'm sure I could find a better way to spend the extra 25 or so G's.

nickw

Adventurer
True. But how much more does the LX weigh?

Sidebar.... How many people will be in the vehicle on average? (Not sure if you have kiddos / dogs etc...)

For me, I'd wait for the GX. 5 pass is fine for me. 1 kid has her own car already and other kid probably will within a couple years. We have a small dog as well. I'd like the smaller size of the GX too.

Both are nice vehicles. But, the LX is more vehicle than we'd need and I'm sure I could find a better way to spend the extra 25 or so G's.
No kiddos (none planned) and one dog - so 5 is perfectly fine with us.

Arktikos

Explorer

Interesting. Toyota sees the 250 as positioned between the 70 and 300, capable and affordable. The turbo 4 cylinder keeps the cost down a bit while offering better MPG. Good move guys!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online