M1009 (diesel Blazer) or FJ60?

Jeep

Supporting Sponsor: Overland Explorer Expedition V
The 6.2 is a great fuel efficient motor. They don't make a great workhorse and that is usually where they get the bad rep from but in a Blazer or Sub, how hard could they really work? We have a 1/2 ton with a 6.2 with 300K on the odometer, had religious oil changes every 5000 and very minor repairs over the years like a lift pump and a couple sets of glow plugs, get the updated controller and a whole new set of plugs if you have starting issues and don't look back. You will have more room, easy and cheap parts access and aftermarket support like nothing other than maybe a Jeep.

tcdent

Hmmm... well IMHO I would say go with the Blazer if it were used strictly as a hunting rig, or maybe like for Boyscout camp outs, guys-only treks, etc., because the 1009 is as basic as it gets; no A/C, loud diesel engine, and not so fast highway speeds due to gearing.

Just wanted to clarify, since this is a common misunderstanding; the Blazers have different axles and gearing under them than almost all of the other CUCVs. 10 bolts front and rear with 3.08 gears, and open front diff and an Eaton Gov-lock are the standard equipment. Mine cruises around 70 MPH comfortably.

MaverickTRD

Adventurer
Well, went and test drove the Blazer yesterday. Its got more creature comforts than I thought it would, A/C power windows and locks, tilt steering wheel. All in an 82! it drove awesome, very minimal rattles. brakes felt strong, the diesel fired right up and purred the whole time, the 4spd shifted well...Although I don't know how long i would trust th TH700r in there (which was replaced in later years by the 700r4, which still isn't all that great) I thought it was interesting to see that it had 8 lug 10 bolt axles rather than the 6 lugs.
Interestingly it has a factory tow package complete with oil/tran coolers, hitch, and apparently 3.73 gears rather than the 3.08s.

~Tahoe Diesel, he is currently asking 2,000. it is for sale here on the air force base. He hasn't listed it in craigslist or anything and hasn't had much interest. None of the airmen around here probably look for an old faded looking diesel truck (which is better for me anyways lol), whenever you drive by the dorms you see all these kids with there 30,000 cars and huge car payments on their low pay. He just put new tires on it in factory size, so while they are tiny, they can get me by for a little while til i can afford to upgrade.

i'm hoping to shoot him an offer this weekend or next...just need to save a few more pennies lol. If i get it I will definetely post pictures, the rig is amazing (at least to me) and seems to fit what i need pretty well.

Stoney126

Adventurer
700r4 is a decent tranny. Cases before 87 had cracking issues. There is aftermarket fixes for the weak links. Had a shop rebuild a 4l60e with some aftermarket beef up which would have cost the same as a stocker. Trans was beat on and shifted like a champ till I sold it.

If you do pick this blazer up , I'd look into a quality trans temp gauge. Also depending whether it has it or not a nice tranny cooler .

Tahoe Diesel

Observer
If it's as clean and good running as you say, that is a very reasonable asking price. Don't wait too long! Old Blazers are becoming sought after classics, clean well cared for examples will appreciate in value...

MaverickTRD

Adventurer
Trust me, I want to snag this thing up ASAP! I just don't wanna lowball the guy too much so i gotta wait maybe another payday or 2. so hopefully he will have it in 2 weeks and then I can pick it up. The previous owner's son rattle canned the vehicle primer, which isn't an issue for me because I will be painting it desert tan. I am curious about the process in painting the fiberglass shell on the back, if it has any needed extra steps or if the paint will adhere the same way its white right now and you can still see the fiberglass weaves

But as i said the interior is mint, the engine bay is clean and it has zero leaks. Ironically it kind of just popped up at almost the right time so i'm trying to figure out a way to get it in my garage before its too late.

bftank

Explorer
$2k sounds like a great deal for this truck. if it has 8 lug outers it most likely has a 10 bolt front and semi floating 14 bolt rear which has an oval diff cover. the 3,73 gears are a great option. good luck and i hope you get it!

Nice find. Hope you can swing it. Maybe he would hold it for a couple of weeks with a $500 deposit? Probably less likely to negotiate a lot on the price though. Good luck!

rxinhed

Dirt Guy
Krylon sells rattle can for either metal or plastic applications, and in the common camo colors too!

I have a diesel converted 88 K30 that will become something or sold. California B.A.R. approved the 454 gas to 6.2L conversion. Might be fun to drive once I get it running again.

Russell

MaverickTRD

Adventurer
:( well thanks all for the input and advice...Unfortunately the gentleman sold it before I had a chance to negotiate a buy with him....My search continues and hopefully I find something soon!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger