M101-A2 - Finatic trailer build

Finatic Angler

Adventurer
I had been torn for a long time about a trailer. I knew the day I bought my '14 JKUR that I would need a trailer. The trailer would need to do a few things.... Runs to the hardware store, haul a quad, used for kayaks and I would like to use it for camping here and there at kayak fishing tournaments. My last tournament I slept in the jeep and it wasn't good.

Originally I was looking at the smaller M416 type trailers. Looked at Manley and all the others online. My only sticking point was not having the room for the ATV. I didn't want a trailer for an atv and then another one for camping and hauling kayaks.

After a while the XVenture caught my eye and what a beautiful trailer it looked to be. I was very impressed with everything about it and it fit my needs that it could fit an atv on it and still be used for camping. Around the same time I found the Xventure I also came across Bear trailer sports trailers. Again another option that would suit my needs and I would just have to build an upper platform for a RTT or James Baroud type tent.

About a week ago I was told the house we are living in would be put up for sale but we would have first crack at it so then the wheels started turning about a M101-1A or A2 trailer.

The one problem as in all the other cool trailers on the market comes down to location. I live in NY just north of the city and most trailers of the overland type are manufactured out west. This would become a very challenging part of my saga into finding a trailer. But as fate would have it I found a M101-A2 on craigslist last week. It was located in Connecticut about 40 minutes from my house. Previously I had been looking at trailers online that were in Maine or Delaware.

So I arranged with the seller to meet him today to take a look at it.

After arrival and quick inspection it appeared to be in great shape for a trailer that is 2 years older than me! The trailer was list as a M101-A2 but the ID tag said it was a M101-A1 (which was what I really wanted to find anyway!) As a bonus it already has the tarp on it so as is it would work for camping in it. Just sleep under the cover.

We discussed the $$$$, agreed on a price and I brought her home.

I have some plans for it:
Sand blast and paint trailer
Axle swap to match jeep
Once the axel swap is done I will be removing the front lunette and landing leg and lengthen the tongue and figure out a way to level the trailer
Remove wood on the sides and replace
LED taillights

I look forward to input from the many experienced trailer builders here.

I am very excited as this is my first trailer build.

REFRENCE THREADS
Pintle hook vs. Ball hitch

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    303.5 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:

E Dr. P

Observer
Nice, looks like an a2 on the later heavy frame to me though. Chances are it's an older a1 box or they put an a1 dataplate on it.

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
Nice score...let me know if you need a hand as I've done those mods you describe.

Good luck with it!

hansrober

Adventurer
You will like your trailer a lot. I have dragged mine a few miles mostly loaded over varied terrain. Mine has realy met my needs well. Good Luck and enjoy!

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Great trailers Easy to work on and fab up cool additions.
reduce weight by removing the surge lunette and original axle.
Towing one with the cover on will reduce gas mileage " they act like a parachute"
Post lots of pictures of your build.

Finatic Angler

Adventurer
Yesterday, 10:08 PMTitanpat57
Nice score...let me know if you need a hand as I've done those mods you describe.

Good luck with it!

You are way too close for me not to take you up on that!

Today, 06:24 AMMark Harley
Great trailers Easy to work on and fab up cool additions.
reduce weight by removing the surge lunette and original axle.
Towing one with the cover on will reduce gas mileage " they act like a parachute"
Post lots of pictures of your build.

The tarp actually wasnt that bad while towing. It only sticks up a little higher than the jeep. I plan to take pictures during the whole process.

ikk

Adventurer
This guy did some interesting things to the trailer put up some 2x2 supports and a ramp to load your atv on top.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Last edited:

Finatic Angler

Adventurer
Wanted to repack the bearings tonight before the wife got home from work. As luck would have it my channel locks seemed to have disappeared. I did get the cover off one quite easily and did a visual inspection. Looks good and I shouldn't have any problem once I repack both sides.

One of the first things I want to do is a new axle with electric brakes but at least I can do a little camping while waiting to get the axle once I order it.

No pictures today.

Finatic Angler

Adventurer
So my trailer build came to a screetching halt.

For some reason my dad thought I needed a break so he went and decided to have a heart attack!

So after open heart surgery and things are on a good path now I have a meeting with a welder. Not sure I want to go this route but I definetly want to hear what he has to say.

It looks like tongue and axle will be first up.

Anyone soda blast instead of sand blast?

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Most have sand blasted The CARC on the trailers is tough stuff.
I would inquire about soda blasting to see the cost difference.
Prayers for healing to your father.

keep us posted on the trailer and your dad.

Finatic Angler

Adventurer
Just a quick note or notes!

I got to thinking about leveling the trailer. I thought it would be a bad move to have the welder fix the height and then later lift the jeep and have to re do my work.

So I decided to install a 2" BDS spring lift. The trailer isn't too far out of level now.

Which brings me too....... I went to trailer last night to order my trailer equipment. I placed my order and received my email that I placed my order as one normally would. Then less than an hour later I received another email saying it shipped with a tracking number!!!! All this at 8 PM on a Sunday! That is company dedication. Oh yeah and free shipping too.

I ended up going with D rings for tie downs. Anyone have any thoughts on E track?

Thanks

Jim

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior