M101 Tongue extension

jesusgatos

Explorer
I'm planning on extending the tongue on my M353 trailer too. Haven't given much thought to exactly how I'm going to do it, but it's on the 'must-do' list. The uhaul box I mounted on top of it gets WAY too close to the box on the truck when I turn.

roberto

Adventurer
there is some talk about it on i8hmud forum in trailer section, do a search, others have done so. I have a CDN M101 as well and thought of it but decided not too but not cause I am a collector.

R

IggyB

Adventurer
I've asked that question too http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26596

I agree with the above,but would like to add:

1. M101 CDN has box and frame all in one, not to say it's a unibody.
2. The box is much stronger than a 416 trailer as it is reinforced at corners and midsection.
3. If I do move the existing tongue to the front of the "Subframe", I would reinforce overlap area under the trailer between the Subframe and the tongue with some C-channel. The C-channel would extend to the side Subframe of the trailer.
4. And you have to clean off the undercoating on the trailer before welding as it is likely to catch fire.

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
The hardcore collections will burn you at the stake.

I got lucky when I bought my T3. It came with both a modified ball hitch as well as the lunett. Unfortunately the lunett isn't a T3 but a later fat neck. Anyone have an original era T3 for sale????
Jason T.

Ireland

Adventurer
I extended mine today by about 30" or so to make space for an Engle fridge in front. I will post pics if you like once its finished showing the process. I used 1 1/2" x 3" x1/8" wall tube or and re used the lunette hitch.

I finished my tongue extension, water tank mount and place for my tongue box. I had to put a 24" receiver to clear my spare tire carrier. I used the tongue assembly pieces that Mario from AT supplied me with.

Attachments

• 2009-07-17 11.43.25.jpg
    2009-07-17 11.43.25.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 157
  • 2009-07-17 11.43.51.jpg
    2009-07-17 11.43.51.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 129

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan