M101A1 axle swap?

CAPTNDAVIE

Observer
Anybody ever widen a M416 axle and put it under a M101A1 trailer? I am referring to the US 3/4 ton trailer not the canadien 101. I have a spare 416 axle laying around and thinking about swapping it into a 101 chasis. Lower ride height, smaller wheels and tires and still retain parking brake. Whatcha think?

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Should work, cut it in the center sleeve it and reweld the spring perches.
Parking brakes will be good too!
Then you can run 15" jeep wheels.
Take pictures.

CAPTNDAVIE

Observer
I have an original set of wheels and tires that were on the axle. They will work and 16" wheels so I can through some E load range truck tires on it later if I wanted to. My only concern is if the wheel bearings in the 416 axle will be up to snuff. If I do this it will be on a chasis that has no bed currently and would only have a floor put on it. I haul firewood in my current M101A1 so I am sure that if I do this it will see some weight at some point. I have seen 416's loaded over capacity and they seem like they do ok. I think this axle will do what I need it to. I just thought I would see if any one had done this before and how well the axle will do with some weight on it.

JPNCA

Adventurer
I know you have a 1/4 ton 416 axle but its not that expensive to upgrade to a larger capacity axle.

Scrapdaddy

Adventurer
CaptnDavie,

I'm not following you. You have a working 3/4 ton M101 and you want to replace the axle with a 1/4 ton axle, run smaller tires, but with a 16 inch wheel and a load range E for heavier loads. Seems to me, you are taking a risk, by lengthing the axle. Cutting and welding can be tricky. Since you would like to haul heavier loads, than the 1/4 ton, why not stay with the 3/4 ton and maybe play with the spring pack, to lower the ride.

Just thinking out loud.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78