M101A1 Expedition/Motorcycle Trailer

CrazyMike

Hi all!

I've just acquired a '68 M101A1 in very good condition that my wife and I are looking to use for general camping and for trailering our dual-sport motorcycles :bike_rider: while traveling. The trailer is currently painted woodland camo and came with the side stakes, 4 out of 5 top bows, and a slightly ripped, woodland camo tarp. My wife and I like to camp, sometimes off our motorcycles, and sometimes car camping in our Jeep Wrangler Rubicon (JKR). Our plan is to use the trailer as needed to tow our motorcycles as well as haul around camping equipment and maybe throw a kayak on top.

Here's the idea list thus far:
  • Replace the split wheels with recently acquired matching wheels
  • Replace the axle with a lighter weight 3500 lb axle
  • Strip down and paint the frame and body (probably something complimentary to our JKR)
  • Bedline the bed
  • Widen the wheel wells to fit 2 motorcycles (if necessary)
  • Convert the 24V lighting system to 12V

I'll try my best to document my build and will supply pictures in short order...just as soon as I take some.

Tonight I was trying to flip the lunette to level the trailer while towing in it's unmodified state. :( I was not successful. Anyone got any tips for extracting the lunette from the trailer tongue??? The castle nut and cotter pin came out fine but I can't get the lunette to budge. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Scrapdaddy

Adventurer
I've been lucky and got mine to turn by soaking the lunette with PB Blaster for a few days, then useing a long ( 4 to 6 foot ) bar through the eye and pull down. Sometimes just smacking it with a BFH, gives it a shock and it will turn

Good Luck and sounds like a good project.

tobiasinla

Sometimes just smacking it with a BFH, gives it a shock and it will turn

I thought I had saved this info, but cannot find it, so we could reference how believable the following are. I also suck at Google at the moment to find it.

After all of the soaking, someone said to hit it on the eye part ( towards the trailer ) to shock the taper to break the rust out of it.

I thought someone else said to put the nut back on but not tighten it, and drive around the yard or block.

CrazyMike

July 23rd Update

The Big Freakin' Pipe technique worked like a charm. (I almost gave up after several tries but then I noticed that the gap between the lunette and mount was widening.)

Later this week, I'll hitch it up to my JKR and tow it to a local trailer dealer to get a quote on an axle. Most of my research shows people going with a Dexter axle so that's where I'm headed as well. Anybody else out there go another direction? Or already have a spec sheet for an axle they've purchased that mates up to their Jeep wheels?

So here's where I stand today (and I'm sure this list is going to grow...):
Trailer - Yep
Wheels - Yep
Lunette flipped - Yep
Axle - Nope
Tires - Nope
Paint bed to match JKR - Nope
Strip and paint frame - Nope
Bed-line inside - Nope
Repaired/Replaced Tarp - Not sure I'm going to do this
Kayak Rack - Nope
2" Receiver under gate - Nope
5th Bow - Probably not needed if I don't keep the tarp

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
The 101a1 trailers are very nice.
With an axle change and a little weight loss it will pull fine.
I removed the side rails " did not have a cover" and went with a
tub cover from mytarp.com

Post pictures as you go.

Attachments

• IMG_0674.jpg
    IMG_0674.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 605
  • DSC07104.JPG
    DSC07104.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 604

CrazyMike

Finally Pictures

IMG_1217-M.jpg IMG_1214-M.jpg

I also got a quote on an axle. It was more than I expected it to be based on my research...about $150 more. :-(
Quote: $280 no brakes, $462 with brakes.
Time to re-research.

If any of you have information on axles you've upgraded to, I'd greatly appreciate some input.

DblD

Adventurer
Hey Mike,

Sent a response to your PM. Any other questions, don’t hesitate to ask. Good looking trailer and tow rig combo. Oh and welcome to the forum.

dd

CrazyMike

2nd Update

I got another quote today for a MUCH more reasonable price on a Dexter axle; only $271. That quote agrees with other prices I've seen on this and other forums.

Things left to do before ordering the axle:
- Verify that there aren't any significant differences between the quotes...other than the price
- Measure and compare the WMS measurement on my JKR's axle to the measured WMS of the M101A1's axle and figure out which width I want to use
- Determine what the new height of the trailer will be with the new axle and decide if this is an acceptable height or if I need to order a drop axle
- Determine if wheel spacers will be needed to correct for 6.25" backspacing of stock JK wheels (Or if I need to order a wider axle...)
- Determine if wheel spacers will be needed for the 'dust cap' issue often encountered with Jeep wheel's center caps and Dexter axles

Feel free to suggest anything else I need to be thinking about.

Some eye candy to keep things interesting:
IMG_1220-M.jpg IMG_1219-M.jpg

TRACTION

Adventurer
Check out Redneck Trailer Supplies if you haven't already. I just ordered a replacement axle for my M101A2 to work with Dodge 2500 wheels which have a 6.25 offset. I chose a 67" hub to hub for my width of (17x9) and tire 35x12 and am happy with the clearance between the frame and tire.

Unless your trailer has significant corrosion I suggest NOT stripping the frame. I did that and ultimately I wouldn't do it again for the hassle. If I was to do it again I would have treated the areas that needed it and then painted the entire frame.

I left the body painted and undercoated and will eventually paint it as is without stripping so that I retain the original metal treatment. Given that CARC paint is fairly hazardous to work with (sanding it) that's a safer options as well. My plans are to Monstaliner it eventually as well.

Feel free to hit me up if you want to discuss anything.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
With what I have seen with axles to clear the hub and fit the alloy jeep wheels you will need spacers.
1.5 or 2" Is what I have viewed. That way there is no interference issues.
Post what you go with.

What ideas do you have hitch?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle