M101A2 Question

Theschist

I recently found a M101A2 in excellent shape for $400! Couldn't pass it up. However, my JK rolls on 35" tires and my plan was to swap out the military axle for a Dexter with a hub to match the Jeep. Thereby using the same wheels and tires as on the Jeep. Can I safely squeeze my 315/70/17 tires under this trailer, or should I not even bother. Plans for the future include some form of tentage, and basic camping storage. The trailer will also double as a canoe/kayak carrier and bike carrier.
IMAG0470.jpg
IMAG0473.jpg

Gallowbraid

Where's that road go?
I swapped over to a Dexter able to match the jeep I had at the time. Fairly straight forward process once I wrapped my head around the measurements. I have dimensions and pictures in my build thread: here.

Theschist

GallowBraid: I was drooling over your build. It has definitely inspired me. (Also dig the Tacoma-but can't give up a paid off vehicle that rocks). I was going to stick with the stock wheels, but I am already running 1.5" spacers on the JK for clearance for the 35"s. did you plan on 2" spacers with the 59" HF to HF?

Second question everyone, has anyone used a Truck Tent made for an 8' bed as a temp solution on their M101A2? Until I can get the resources and time to do a proper build, I still want to use the trailer for some light camping ( I just cant convince the wife to sleep in a tent on the ground).

Gallowbraid

Where's that road go?
I did plan the 2" spacers to clear the dust covers on the Dexter EZ lube axles. Stock jeep rims won't clear the dust covers unless you modify the covers using a hammer and some gentle persuasion. Steel rims or aftermarket rims will be different, have to check the center bore on the rim.

7.jpg

10.jpg

9.jpg

tarditi

Explorer
I was going to do something similar with my M100 trailer and realized that it was a lot of expense and hassle for little more than cosmetic benefit.
I could have swapped axles or used wheel adapters...

I can drag my trailer with a flat if need be (it's light enough), I have fix-a-flat and a viair compressor; and a spare for my jeep.
If I need to carry more spares for an extended trip, I'll just get more and bring them, but it's not important to have them all match for me.

Gallowbraid

Where's that road go?
On the m101a2's it's a huge weight savings to drop the surge brake equipped axle, particularly if the surge brakes no longer function. Removing the axle, hubs, brake assembly, master cylinder and lunette/pintle assembly comes out to a couple hundred pounds in savings. Putting a Dexter EZ Lube axle on saves weight, gives better braking and cuts down on maintenance. I like being able to use my brake controller to manually activate the brakes and ease the trailer down off an obstacle while off road.

dstock

Explorer
On the m101a2's it's a huge weight savings to drop the surge brake equipped axle, particularly if the surge brakes no longer function. Removing the axle, hubs, brake assembly, master cylinder and lunette/pintle assembly comes out to a couple hundred pounds in savings. Putting a Dexter EZ Lube axle on saves weight, gives better braking and cuts down on maintenance. I like being able to use my brake controller to manually activate the brakes and ease the trailer down off an obstacle while off road.

+1 on all of the above!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior