M101A2 Trailer Purchase & Project

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Brad: Your trailer looks like it was a factory FJ option!
It is a perfect match and looks great with your FJ.
The matching wheels and color make the combo.

It will get lots of looks while you are towing it around.
What is planned next?

TexasFJ

Observer
Brad: Your trailer looks like it was a factory FJ option!
It is a perfect match and looks great with your FJ.
The matching wheels and color make the combo.

It will get lots of looks while you are towing it around.

Thanks...it was far more work than I intended but am pleased with the results. The results are also greatly attributed to your build!

What is planned next?

Sleep.

Need to mount the fuel and water cans after reflectors, license plate, etc... have some lettering to do. Not sure after that.

TexasFJ

Observer
Receive this via PM and thought it was worth reposting here:

ReyAce said:
Hey man, came across your trailer build thread and it was awesome... I was wondering if I could hit you up for some info.

I have an FJ as well, and I'm looking to change the axle on my 101A1 trailer, putting Toyota wheels on it @265/R17. But I can't for the life of me figure out what length axle to get. It seems you ordered the 62", but then put on spacers... I was wondering why you did that? Was it not possible to get a Dexter axle that FJ wheels can bolt right up to?

If you could shed any light on that, I'd sure appreciate it. And thanks for the build thread... trailer looks great and it gave a ton of info!

- Rey

Thank you.

You can start reading about post 23 on page 2. The problem is that you can't order an axle from Dexter or anyone else with 12mm studs and most importantly a hub centric face, so there's not really anything to center the wheel on. FJ wheels are hub centric so I simply ordered some spacers and used them as adapters. You use the 1/2" lug nuts that come with the axle to bolt on the spacers, now you have the proper hub centric mounting face. Go on Ebay and order some FJ lug nuts, probably have to buy a full set but are cheaper than going down to the local parts store to buy only what is required. The measurements of 62" with 1.25" spacers is perfect with factory FJ wheels/tires. You need a 3" tube to use the factory lower perches/shock mounts, which are really just tack welded on to the factory axle. We didn't even reweld it on to the new one as it centers up and is held on with the ubolts, etc. 43.25" perch width is perfect and I ordered it with the upper spring perches which were perfect.

xxfullsailxx

Observer
Brad-

your trailer is looking super-sharp...can't wait to see how you outfit it!

with regard to the trailer axle question (and without hi-jacking too much) i believe the other route to go is to buy new hubs or backing plates & drums that are a 6 on 5.5 bolt pattern. all the trailer company's make them for these axles (5000lb'ers i think).

sweet paint job!

-darin

TexasFJ

Observer
Thank you sir.

Yep... BUT, they are not hub centric and have 1/2" studs, not 12mm, nor can you get them to build it with 12mm studs. You could probably knock them out and put some 12mm in without too much trouble but you still gotta have the hub centric setup for the FJ wheels.

Now.. if you aren't using FJ wheels then yeah... much easier.

Pikeman

Adventurer
Thank you sir.

Yep... BUT, they are not hub centric and have 1/2" studs, not 12mm, nor can you get them to build it with 12mm studs. You could probably knock them out and put some 12mm in without too much trouble but you still gotta have the hub centric setup for the FJ wheels.

Now.. if you aren't using FJ wheels then yeah... much easier.

Brad,
I am running factory Toyota wheels on my Dexter axle with the 1/2 lugs. You are correct that the backing plate is not hub centric. However the Toyota wheels are both hub and lug centric. Lug centric being that they use a conical seat shaped lug nut that will also center the wheel. I have not had any issues with my wheels being out of center. Since it is the 1/2 lugs I jsut can't mix up my lug nuts, and you are also correct that you can take the backing plate down and have 12mm studs pressed in without an problems.

TexasFJ

Observer
Yeah.. but he billet spacers look so cool!

My information was iffy and I didn't want to order an axle then need the spacer thereby being too wide so I just bit the bullet and ordered it narrow and bought the spacers... no gray area then.

Worked out well but good info to have.

Pikeman

Adventurer
Your trailer looks great by the way. I need to get back on mine and make a little more progress like paint. On the axle was just saying there are two ways of going about it, I didnt want the additional expense of spacers. Now using the spacers does keep you both hub and lug so you know for sure you are good to go.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Most people say the trailers are too big, I think it looks very proportional to the FJ.
The channel hitch is so simple and it is adjustible for other heights of tow vehicles.

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough
I'll say it again... Lookin' good, Brad. Are you planning on some kind of cover?

Most people say the trailers are too big, I think it looks very proportional to the FJ.
The channel hitch is so simple and it is adjustible for other heights of tow vehicles.

Definitely fine for an FJ. Towing my friend's A3 is no problem. The height is more pronounced than the width, and is definitely what gives the trailer its 'exaggerated' appearance behind my truck. Even without towing mirrors I'm never uncomfortable with the trailer's width in my rear vision unless someone just seriously starts tailgating, and by then I've pulled over anyway.
IMAG0192.jpg

TexasFJ

Observer
The FJ pulls it fine. I've read all the same comments about it's weight but doing what both of us have done it's closer to 1000lbs empty now with very little tongue weight. Now, if you are comparing to a much smaller M416 type of trailer then yes, it might be considered heavy but comparing to most 5x8 utility trailers it's not that much heavier and you get so much more. Since I won't be using it for a tough to climb trails trailer but can still take it most places I'll need to go it works for me.

I was tired of dragging utility trailer's lights, etc ever time I went to the ranch or hunting, etc, this one you don't have to worry about.

TexasFJ

Observer
I'll say it again... Lookin' good, Brad. Are you planning on some kind of cover?

Thanks again! Yes. I'm looking at taking the bows and removing the lower legs then using the shortened bows to support a tarp cover. Wanted it for the FJ Jamboree in a few days but flat haven't had the time to address it. I'm not thinking about any kind of hard top or RTT at this time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger