M101A3 build

Johnnyenglish

Adventurer
I stow my rear jacks poining towards the rear or in the bed of trailer. You will be suprised what they can get hung up on. Build is looking good.

How are you going to drill the holes in the 2.5" tubing?

We used a broach to drill the holes. I'm working with GR Fabrication on the rack and the box and 4runamok from GooseGear on the electrical. We sleeved the new extension and I'm confident that it is much stronger than the original extension and more than strong enough for my application. The trailer tows great and should only get better after the new axle and MUCH lighter wheel/tire combo. We were in the shop until 2am last night putting the boxes together in time for electrical/axle swap prior to my trip and we couldn't get the storage box frame just right, so after Memorial Day we are going to redo the box frames. Just tried the led strip lights in the boxes and they work great.
image.jpg

Last edited:

Johnnyenglish

Adventurer
I drilled a hole in the receiver and welded a nut over the hole. I threaded a 3/4" bolt through the nut with a battery power impact driver to apply pressure to the whole assembly locking it down. I'll take a picture once I get it back from the axle shop.

Johnnyenglish

Adventurer
New shoes

New Dexter 3500# axle with electric brakes and AEV Savegre wheels and BFG TA KO 315/70/17 tires to match the tow vehicle.
image.jpg
Close up of the pinch bolt to hold the jacks in place during transit. Can't wait to get all the fabrication done and get this thing to the paint shop.
image.jpg
Hitting the road this weekend to work out the bugs

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    547.2 KB · Views: 33
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    546.4 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

Crimson13

Do you happen to have the spec's (HF, SC, and drop) you used and possibly where you ordered the Dexter axle?

Going to tow mine behind my jeep as well and want to go with matching wheels/tire as well.

Johnnyenglish

Adventurer
Do you happen to have the spec's (HF, SC, and drop) you used and possibly where you ordered the Dexter axle?

Going to tow mine behind my jeep as well and want to go with matching wheels/tire as well.
The axle order form with all of my specs is attached below.

image.jpg

Johnnyenglish

Adventurer
The axle order form with all of my specs is attached below.

View attachment 347160

These measurements are specific to the AEV wheels/spacer combo I used. Depending on the backspacing and offset or your wheels you may need to add or subtract to the HF measurement and/or order spacers to help the grease caps clear the wheel. If you are using AEV wheels you'll need an adapt it-USA 2" spacer with a 2.67" center bore.

Johnnyenglish

Adventurer
Some close ups of the new axle. I can tell a big difference in starting and stopping with the new set up. The trailer brakes definitely help. The trailer was very stiff with the old axle and shocks so I decided to start with just leaf springs and add shocks later if necessary.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

RagnarD

Adventurer
Good call. The old box mounts did look like a likely point of failure. Still kind of do to be honest. Any concern about the removal of bump stops? How did the shake down trip go?

Johnnyenglish

Adventurer
Good call. The old box mounts did look like a likely point of failure. Still kind of do to be honest. Any concern about the removal of bump stops? How did the shake down trip go?

The shakedown trip went great. No issues. The box mounts (even before I replaced them) are crazy strong. They're still way overbuilt. The only reason I changed it was to make the boxes sit square. rhe only way they will fail is some sort of catastrophic collision in which case I have way more to worry about...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12