M101A3 Toy Hauler Camper Build

fastring

Greetings, this thread is to cover my M101A3 trailer build. My plan is to build it into a camper toyhauler. Goals:
1. Must fit in garage
2. Must hold one full size ATV
3. Must be comfortable to sleep in to include "stealth" camping
4. Must be able to do moderate off roading (Mojave Trail, Baja, etc)
5. Not be overbuilt. I'm a mpg weenie. I drive my Lotus Elise to home depot because it gets 30mpg and my 7.3 Ford gets 16. Its not logical, but its me.

So, I bought a M101A3 on ebay for $375. I dont have a good picture, but this is what was in the listing, it was for 3 trailers of which I purchased one.

View attachment 146328

fastring

Struggling with pictures. Heres another attempt

Trailer.jpg

Then removed heavy surge pintle, heavy 36" tires (need trailer to fit in garage) and heavy axle.

DSC_0011.jpgDSC_0008.jpgDSC_0007.jpg

Installed 3500 pound electric brake axle and some rims/31" tires that came with the 1965 F100 4x4 (now has 33x10.5s)

DSC_0025.jpgDSC_0024.jpg

Then made a new adjustable and lower front hitch. Went with a receiver 2" deal so that I can go pintle or regular or take it off for theft deterrence.

DSC_0010.jpg

Then installed 4 recessed tie down points for the ATV:

DSC_0013.jpgDSC_0011.jpg

fastring

Then installed rear LED lights and rear receiver hitch

DSC_0033.jpgDSC_0031.jpgDSC_0014.jpg

Then registered at the DMV. Silly CA DMV.

DSC_0029.jpg

Then bought propane furnace and stove and big escape hatch and more.

DSC_0020.jpgDSC_0022.jpgSuburban NT-16SE.jpgSwitch Panel.jpgVent.jpg

fastring

then decided I need flush underneath to mount water and fuel tanks, so cut off air sling hooks and welded from the top and installed small 3 LED clearance lights

DSC_0008.jpgDSC_0009.jpg

Then painted rims black and bought $100 shell off CL

DSC_0015.jpgDSC_0018.jpg

Then decided it was too low, need more interior height to get ATV in. Measured garage clearance and started with a roof rack to allow me to tie it up to the garage ceiling while I made a spacer. Relearned the plasma CNC machine (hadnt used for a year, wasnt ever very good at it or CAD) and made some brackets for the rack. Then made a 6" spacer between shell and trailer

DSC_0015 (2).jpgDSC_0015.jpgDSC_0016 (2).jpgDSC_0017 (2).jpgDSC_0017.jpg

fastring

What model and year of truck is the topper off of?

I am not sure what brand the topper is, but its a normal work type. I had one just like it on a nissan many years ago. The M101A3 is basically the same size as a full size truck bed. Just about any shell that fits a full size long bed (8') truck bed will "fit" the trailer. This one came off a mid 1990s Chevy Silverado half ton pickup.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
I figured 80's-90's full size 8 foot would be best.
The newer trucks have curved beds that are narrow at the ends.

OLDH1

Observer
How is that fiberglass going to hold up to the vibration and jolts of taking if off pavement? I am thinking of doing the same riser on a M1102A/Helmet Hard Top to get the clearance on the hard top so I can walk inside it but was going to cover the riser with aluminum and use it as a conduit for electrical and possibly plumbing...thought about fiberglass but too afraid it will crack and separate from the metal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12