M101CDN 'hybrid'

Jay S.

Observer
Here's what I've been working on the last month and a half...trying to get it in better shape than when it was delivered (first picture). I started by removing the rusted brake cables and brake assemblies. Even though the brakes are fine, I wanted to change the bolt pattern to (ahem!) match the Jeep...I left the axle on top of the springs because the leaf pack is a lift pack and there are fewer leaves (4 vs. 9) so the axle/spring-pack heigth is less.

Attachments

• 1 063.jpg
    1 063.jpg
    590.7 KB · Views: 176
  • 1 106.jpg
    1 106.jpg
    577.7 KB · Views: 352
  • 1 116.jpg
    1 116.jpg
    581.3 KB · Views: 201

IZZYDUSIT

Adventurer
looking good!
what are your plans for this baby?
I like the rack on this jeep- what kind is it?
keep us all posted!

GeoTracker90

Adventurer
Nice trailer and Jeep. It looks like the springs are new. Any information on them? What are they made for, where to buy them, cost, etc....

Keep up the good work.

ExpoMike

IZZYDUSIT said:
looking good!
keep us all posted!

I think it is an ARB rack. Nice put $$.

Sweet setup!

Maximus Ram

Expedition Leader
looks good.
I ,too, am planning on swapping the hubs on the trailer I have so I can have the same tire/rim combo I have on my XJ.

Always nice to see what others have done and get ideas.

Jay S.

Observer
IZZYDUSIT said:
looking good!
keep us all posted!

That's an ARB roof rack.

I'm wanting to go RTT, but funds probably won't allow it. So for now it will
be a pack mule.

Jay S.

Observer
Willman said:
Very nice!

Your setup looks great!

Question for ya...What make it a 'hybrid'????

:26_7_2:

The springs are Old Man Emu front Suzuki Samurai leafs. The hubs are standard (no brakes) with 5x4.5 bolt pattern to match the Jeep. The wheels have been modified to fit the trailers hub by boring out the center hole to 2 &11/16".

Last edited:

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
Jay S. said:
The springs are Old Man Emu front Suzuki Samurai leafs. The hubs are standard (no brakes) with 5x4.5 bolt pattern to match the Jeep. The wheels have been modified to fit the trailers hub by boring out the center hole to 2 &11/16".

Jay, beautiful combo of XJ and trailer.

The Zuki springs were the same length eye-eye or did you move the hangers?

Jay S.

Observer
John B said:
Jay, beautiful combo of XJ and trailer.

The Zuki springs were the same length eye-eye or did you move the hangers?

Thanks! The Samurai springs are nearly identical in length to the stock springs. I measured the stock ones to be 36" eye-to-eye and started looking in application guides for aftermarket springs with that length. I found the specs on Rancho leafs to be 36.80" and ordered Old Man Emu springs. Upon getting the springs I found the dimensions are even closer to stock!! The rear hangers are regular off-the-shelf trailer parts that been enlarged to 5/8" at the top (from 9/16") to fit the stock bolts.

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
Jay S. said:
Thanks! The Samurai springs are nearly identical in length to the stock springs. I measured the stock ones to be 36" eye-to-eye and started looking in application guides for aftermarket springs with that length. I found the specs on Rancho leafs to be 36.80" and ordered Old Man Emu springs. Upon getting the springs I found the dimensions are even closer to stock!! The rear hangers are regular off-the-shelf trailer parts that been enlarged to 5/8" at the top (from 9/16") to fit the stock bolts.

Good info, i'm sure many of the M101 owners here will be interested in the ride characteristics loaded down with those springs. You'll need to get out and prepare for the questions!

Looks nice and level behind the Cherokee.

Jay S.

Observer
John B said:
Good info, i'm sure many of the M101 owners here will be interested in the ride characteristics loaded down with those springs. You'll need to get out and prepare for the questions!

Looks nice and level behind the Cherokee.

Yeah, I know...let the Q&A begin! Seriously if I can answer any question about the set up, I'll be more than happy.
The first order of business is to get the inside sand blasted then Rhino Lined to stop that rust.

GeoTracker90

Adventurer
Jay,

I just wanted to see if you had an updsate on how the springs and shocks worked on your little trailer. Please let us know. I for one am looking at using about the same set-up.

Mike

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78