M1028 CUCV Build

Chief_919

Observer
Thanks for the info Chef. I've been debating doing a regear to 4.10's to keep the truck from hunting in and out of OD, but the torque converter mod might be a better solution.

It requires some internal mods to the transmission to work properly long term without damage, so find a good transmission shop who knows 700R4's.

You can try it short term without hurting anything, just disconnect the wiring harness that goes in on the left side. But don't run it long term like that or with heavy loads, so just pull that out and see if you like how it runs.

MakersTeleMark

Adventurer
These are a year old, but give you the general idea.

And yes, I'm running STA Superlugs.

Attachments

• IMG_3475.JPG
    IMG_3475.JPG
    453.3 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_3474.JPG
    IMG_3474.JPG
    325.6 KB · Views: 216

Chief_919

Observer
One of the reasons I am keeping the trucks 24v/12v hybrid electrical system is that there is a lot of cool stuff the military has that can run on 24v. I used one of them today- sorry I didn't get more pics, I will soon.

For those not familiar, military vehicles all have what is known as a slave cable connector. In typical military jargon, jump starting a vehicle is called slave starting. By putting the connector on every vehicle, it is far easier to jump start any vehicle. That is also one reason all tactical vehicles are 24v.

627fcf52.jpg

f39b8c9c.jpg

Of course there are lots of other great uses as well. The military comes up with lots of other uses for that outlet, and one was one I used today to change the tire on an M416 trailer I am about to sell.

acba6457.jpg

28v impact wrench! It has lots of torque, and is quick to deploy and use.

Yes, I now that isn't an impact socket but it was getting late and it worked.

I also have a large fuel pump, my Ready Welder, and some other cool 24v stuff I run from the same connector.

dieselfuel

Adventurer
awesome truck man! i'm a sucker for old GMs, and the K30s are the cream of the crop. i'm not too familiar with the military ones but that connector looks useful as hell.

Chief_919

Observer
pioneertools.jpg

Got my pioneer tool rack setup today. The rack is the one from a military HMMWV, but I love using them for trucks like this. Great way to stow your tools.

Once the tool box/aux fuel tank is in the bed, I will have this mounted to the back of it facing the bed.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Chief, I am hoping your rig is coming along nicely! Please keep us up to date with LOTS OF PICS!:ylsmoke:

Outback

Explorer
I too am a fan of the CUCV family line with the M1028 top on that list. When I am home which isnt often, I spend most of that time working on my M1028. I love what you have done so far. Keep up the great work.

dblsprt68

I've been to Clyde! My wifes step-father grew up there. That house got messed up during the flood many years ago... Love the CUCV, was looking at them; but wound up with a Suburban. This works out much better for family hauling. It's our trailer pulling, outback treking and general bug out truck!!! David

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger