M105A3, with 16.5" tires, surge brake

jronwood

Adventurer
Just took it out for a 2000 mile spin. LOVE it. Lots of looks cause it just looks CRAZY. Tire/rims are off a M106A1 tandem deck over. Four jerrry cans for remote fuel issues if encountered. We did throw a bunk up and in the front for the young ones to sleep in while in rest areas driving to our destination. Custom little tool box on the side for oil, and "old school" coleman fuel. Perfect size for behind a rig like this, likely too heavy for even 3/4 ton or certainly a 1/2 ton, about 2500-3000# empty. Canopy is reversable , I have desert out to avoid overheating in summer sun. Also this A3 version has a hand parking brake like the smaller 101's (5'x8')/M103's/M416's, this is 6'x9'.

Jronwood

pics 071.jpgpics 067.jpg

Last edited:

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Nice! The bolster trailer wheels and tires look good and lower the trailer down to a good towing height.
A3 is nice with brakes too. It is a heavy girl but looks good behind your duely. Post more pictures too!

FellowTraveler

Explorer
That is a nice setup the trailer is just the right size too. My M116/M101-a3 tows perfect behind my Burb I can't think of towing a heavier trailer.

jronwood

Adventurer
Thanks guys, here are a few more when I picked up. This shows the HUGE 22.5 tires. These are really nice units. I would guess they are 2500#. Rated at 5700 gvw. All LED's and are 24 AND 12 volt (bonus!!). I wish I could get an axle that had the same bolt pattern as my truck and run the same 19.5" tire/rim, Dexter doesnt make one, and I dont any other companies axle, I cant tell you how great Dexter is, I have slavaged soooo many from scrap yards, pulled the data plate and called them, they look it up, tell me origin, and ANYTHING I want to know (even if it is 30 years old!!). VERY rare today. I moved the sparre from the front of the trailer to a custom drop hanger underneath, you can barely make it our in the one picture in the first post.

40660122.jpg40660125.jpg41697386.jpg

Last edited:

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Those are large hubs on the trailer, I bet there is someone out there who could redrill the hubs and drums to the FORD metric pattern.
They are large trailers but with your tow vehicle it works well. Any plans for matching paint or extras?

applied

I just won a bid on a condition B M105A3 Like yours. I will be towing it with 7.3 diesel ford excursion 3/4 ton. I would like to buy 2 16.5 rims and tires like yours, and replace the 22's that are on there before towing it back. Would that bolt pattern be 6 lug, 7.5 x 16.5? Do you think they will let me change the wheels there? (Camp Beauregard Pineville, Louisiana) Any advise on what I may expect on towing it back would be helpful.(300 miles)
Thank you for your time.
David

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
From the recovery stories I have heard on Steel Soldiers,
You must remove the trailer off the lot to a civilian location before doing any work.
They will load your trailer onto a flat bed with a fork truck.

I am not certain on the bolt pattern but someone on steelsoldiers.com will.

Post up your results and start a build blog.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78