M116a3 Overland Build

Skane40

Hi Everyone, I'm new to this Forum, and this is my first post. Really excited to start this project ! I have been reading so many post's from member's and decided to join your world, and build my own.
I bought a retired M116a3 trailer from GovPlanet, and went to Barstow CA to pick it last month. Had to convince the wife that this was a good idea since were both retired military and the trailer would have a good retired life with us. I don't think she bought that idea but played along, and now it's here in Arizona. I'm ready to start but the weather will set the schedule. Summer started, 97 already!!!
I have some pictures to post later.
Thank You, Scott

Skane40

The Guy''s at the yard are super helpful. The trailer didn't fit on the flat bed, took the tires off. The forklift driver was really helpful, and patient with my lack of planning. Needed 1 inch more width!
So glad I brought tools, and the flatbed. Got the 116 back home and found bad left side bearings, and the 37's were bald like slicks!

Attachments

• 1.jpeg
    1.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 13
  • 2.jpeg
    2.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 13
  • 3.jpeg
    3.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 13
  • 4.jpeg
    4.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 12

Skane40

Started the trailer on its diet. Changed tires rims to 16x7 pre-super duty rims and new 235/85/16 AT's. Not as tall or wide, but it lowers the height and weight and got some tread on them.

37's on 12 bolt rims, 154 lbs x 2 = 308

New tire rim combo , 74 lbs x 2 = 148

Lost 160 lbs already. Next the brake system comes off.

Attachments

• 5.jpeg
    5.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 9
  • 6.jpeg
    6.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 9

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12