M2 Freightliner Ambulance Conversion Project. 2007 Crew Cab

patoz

Expedition Leader
I sure looks like someone messed with that truck for some reason. That's just too many weird things for it to be a coincidence!

rlrenz

Explorer
I have to agree with you -- all the grounds that were finger tight plus the air tank does point to someone in the shop either looking for a cheap rig for himself, or for a friend. The truck is less than 15 years old so it also would have value to a fire department, so it could have even been someone who knew an ambulance dealer who would buy it once it was 'fixed".

And none of what was "wrong" was major - everything could be fixed in minutes once you found it.

More and more -- not a conspiracy, but a fact.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Given that I usually believe all people do the right thing (until proven otherwise) I am going to give them the benefit of doubt at the moment. 2 + 2 may equal 5 with the circumstances in this case. After posting last night I went through the diagnostics for the engine. 2 cylinders are not contributing fully and the EGR valve is not responding. It may of been a decision to cut the weakling out of the herd if they needed to offload a unit. (or I may find the EGR valve sensor disconnected :Wow1:)

My wife thinks its a "if you have a hammer everything looks like a nail" situation. She thinks I have the theory and now I am finding "evidence" to back it up.

Luckily next week a German couple are dropping by (in their excellent MAN camper). He just happens to be a truck mechanic who ran his own garage for years. Hopefully the language barrier will not interfere with some knowledge transfer.

Hans MAN Baja.jpg

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Another "nail" for the conspiracy theory coffin!! So I am still fault finding where all the horses escaped to (about 1/2 of them I think). Digging around I discovered an exhaust brake, more digging and I discovered that the wiring harness is in place behind the dash panel and the socket has been used but there is no "Exhaust Brake" switch connected. Daylight tomorrow will have me trying to work out if it is currently working and buying a switch to put in there. Also to check with Freightliner if it originally had both cruise control and exhaust brakes installed. :squint:

I am actually leaning away from the conspiracy towards them just not putting the stuff back in place when they replaced the dash fascia. When I removed it to check for these sockets it is fairly evident why there is a closed work order on replacing the dash panel. A lot of the mounts behind the fascia are broken and it will take a fair bit of either plastic welding or epoxy and braces to get it serviceable for bouncing down washboard tracks.

On a good note. Today we had a meeting of the clans. Nice MAN camper from some German friends of ours between the Ambo's.

The trucks.jpg

rlrenz

Explorer
It sounds a little like they replaced the dash with a used dash, and one mechanic removed the old one, and a different mechanic installed the new one. You've had enough strange stuff on that unit that it's difficult to figure out just what happened.

You're getting there - one step at a time.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Just worked out my time is worth $350 per hour plus freight. Pulled the dash cluster that didn't have the digital display working. A bit of wrangling later I now have a fully working dash cluster. Cheapest replacement I could find was $350 plus freight. Hence my inflated calculation of my worth.

Nice to have a relatively easy win even if I did live up to my mantra. "Do it twice then do it right"

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Looks like we can fit a 68" long x 50 wide sleeper sofa in the rear of the cab.

5ec0f3021323cb0ee06a274b40a92acd.jpg

Healeyjet

Explorer
Bevan, I totally missed the new thread. Spotted the old rig in the classifieds and went hunting to see what was up. This new one looks like an awesome platform. Congrats and can't wait to see it in person.
Ward

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Yeah I figured Old Yella was way too close to being finished to be one of my projects.

But this one checked a few boxes for the long run and it will be a challenge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online