M2 Freightliner Ambulance Conversion Project. 2007 Crew Cab

patoz

Expedition Leader
The beginning of a much bigger mess...? :agree:

Is that one of those super duper low profile P-traps? If so, how does it work?

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
It looks like the drain from a sink that's installed directly over the driver's side extrication equipment cabinet.

Come on Bob. Don't be vague about it. How about some specifics . And now I also know what went in the cabinet over the drivers side rear wheel.

The answer is yes but not really what I was spotlighting.

The "other" answer is what Pat suggested. It is a waterless P trap. Since we very rarely use our sink the water in the p trap dries up and can let all sorts of gremlins in. These ones supposedly don't need the water to maintain a seal. They just have a flapper valve.

They also are lower profile than a standard p trap setup.

Another tip for those doing some DIY conversions is the IKEA sink and drain for about $26. Just the right size and depth for our constrained benches and the right price.

1cda05a5be35a9d7724db6245ee32398.jpg

8da6157fa77cbd5c974ecc9fd8dafcf6.jpg

rlrenz

Explorer
I've been wondering if a trap or check is really required for the sink drain. If it drains to a gray water tank it could probably be debated, but the flapper style valve answers the question with very little fuss and muss - probably better to use one than to wish one had been used....

By the way - I now have a spare set of the Freightliner Service Manuals for the FL50 - MB80 series of trucks - it's about a 12-14" high pile of manuals. They're in very decent shape, with only one or two thumbprints.

For sale for $50, plus parcel post media rate mailing.

(There are limits on how many sets of these things I really need around here...)

patoz

Expedition Leader
BTW, for both of you guys...

If you're looking for very high quality shower heads, sprayers, hoses, faucets, etc., check out Scandvik Marine Products. I have some of their hand sprayers and hoses I've been using for over twenty years with no problems at all.

Amazon sells sells some of their products also.

rossvtaylor

Adventurer
I've been wondering if a trap or check is really required for the sink drain. If it drains to a gray water tank it could probably be debated, but the flapper style valve answers the question with very little fuss and muss - probably better to use one than to wish one had been used....

By the way - I now have a spare set of the Freightliner Service Manuals for the FL50 - MB80 series of trucks - it's about a 12-14" high pile of manuals. They're in very decent shape, with only one or two thumbprints.

For sale for $50, plus parcel post media rate mailing.

(There are limits on how many sets of these things I really need around here...)

Hi Bob...

I didn't want to PM you and swoop Bevan. If he wants this, he gets first dibs. But if not, I'll gladly take the set! I can pay you via email and give you our UPS account number, if that's easy for you. Let me know what the Oz says!

Thanks both,

Ross

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Go for it Ross. I have a couple of sets sitting on my shelf already. Man they take up a lot of space. But thanks for the offer Bob.

rlrenz

Explorer
Hi Bob...

I didn't want to PM you and swoop Bevan. If he wants this, he gets first dibs. But if not, I'll gladly take the set! I can pay you via email and give you our UPS account number, if that's easy for you. Let me know what the Oz says!

Thanks both,

Ross

Since he passed, they're yours.

I'm getting ready to head out of town for a few weeks of R&R - can they wait until I get back March 13, or do you want them ASAP?

rlrenz

Explorer
Hey, Oz - did you ever figure out what was going on with your Mercedes, or is it time to do an engine swap? A conversion to a Cummins should be fairly straightforward since it was a standard with Freightliner (??), but it may take a while to get all the electronics talking to each other.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Haven't attacked the engine yet. Since it actually gets around OK on 5 cylinders I am attacking the camper bits to get it registered as an RV in AZ. But I am on the lookout for a donor vehicle with a low mileage Cummins. I was leaning towards the 450 HP ISL but now my thinking is a 2004 EPA ISC because they didn't have any EGR setup (I think). Swap shouldn't be too hard especially if I manage to get a wrecked RV as a donor.

rlrenz

Explorer
Haven't attacked the engine yet. Since it actually gets around OK on 5 cylinders I am attacking the camper bits to get it registered as an RV in AZ. But I am on the lookout for a donor vehicle with a low mileage Cummins. I was leaning towards the 450 HP ISL but now my thinking is a 2004 EPA ISC because they didn't have any EGR setup (I think). Swap shouldn't be too hard especially if I manage to get a wrecked RV as a donor.

I can see where you're at on this -- on the one hand, there is an engine installed that (mostly) works, and that should/could be repairable - but on the other hand, if you go to a Cummins, you'll have an engine that everyone likes and respects. Parts availability for the Cummins would probably be better throughout the world than for the Mercedes, plus a salvage yard is bound to have more Cummins parts than Mercedes.

One of the deciding factors in my buying the ambulance that I did was that it had a Cummins. I didn't want a CAT engine, I didn't want a Detroit Diesel, and I had heard nothing good about Mercedes from the time frame I was looking at. I talked to several ambulance mechanics, and they all said to go with the Cummins.

I went with Cummins, and I like it.

rossvtaylor

Adventurer
Since he passed, they're yours.

I'm getting ready to head out of town for a few weeks of R&R - can they wait until I get back March 13, or do you want them ASAP?

Thanks and, no, not a rush at all! I've been too busy to do much (any...) ambo work lately. Just ping me when you're back and we'll settle up.

Coachgeo

Explorer
Cummins available all over US sure. But world...NO.... World wide..... stick with MB. MB trucks are used world wide and not just by the rich folk like here in US. Cummins would be less available.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
OK I am going to agree/disagree with both of you :)

I like Cummins engines and have worked with them all over the world. Just about any mine site in the world will have someone that knows the engines and parts are (sort off) available anywhere. The big winner with the ISC/ISL engines is the ability to do inframe partial rebuilds if needed. (note this excludes the ISB 5.9 and 6.7 engines). The extra HP-torque will probably be wasted on my needs but who ever said I have too much HP-torque :).

But apart from the USA you will get Mercedes expertise and parts easier than Cummins. The engines work/perform well when they are going and would be entirely suitable for my needs. My concerns with this actual model are the amount of EGR related failures, the fact the bores are parent metal (no liners) and therefore no inframe rebuilds and my inexperience.

If I can cost effectively get the current engine up to spec I will and then hopefully never have to rebuild it. I can always learn about a new engine and I already have the diagnostic tools to handle it. If it needs more than a light makeover it will be replaced with an ISC/ISL Cummins.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior