M416 build in Houston

maddawg2012

Observer
Nice trailer and welcome to the club of money pits! If you have a jeep the pit is complete and your wallet is empty.

I got my trailer in Houston as well. I used the M416 manual and the original bolts and ordered all mine online at once. It is not cheap but I replaced every bolt, washer and nut. I also sandblasted mine and had it powdercoated. I followed a lot of your plan---frame first and then tub.

Keep the pictures coming and nice welding. I can stick two pieces together but it "sure ain't purdy"!

Yep, I have a 2009 JKU. Have not lifted it yet, but already replaced front bumper with 10K winch, added power relay box and custom switch panel, Ham radio, Scanner, Molle rack in tailgate. Still many more upgrades I want to do.

As for the trailer, I was inspired to dive into it from this site and all your builds. I love camping, and this just adds to the fun. I hope to have it partially usable by next month on a short trip to the river. Due to costs, I have to spread out the expensive things like painting and blasting. Frame gets blasted week of the 23rd I hope. I will have most of the small replacement parts by then for when it returns. I plan to POR15 the frame, then matt black paint it.

maddawg2012

Observer
Does the M416 use bushings in the springs? Guess I need to know if I should order the shackles and spring bolts and brass or rubber bushings?

maddawg2012

Observer
Well, I finished building or better put re-doing the tailgate. After completeing the frame, I welded on some hinges and installed some gate latches. Just need to add the sheet skin and finalize all the welding. Pictures speak a thousand words.

IMG_1395.jpgIMG_1387.jpgIMG_1388.jpgIMG_1389.jpgIMG_1391.jpgIMG_1393.jpg

No pictures, but I also broke down most of the frame. Just need to break downt the lunette area.

I'm still searching for a bolt replacement list. I have no idea what sizes I need to order. How can you tell what thread sizes are? Would be great if someone could share a inventory list of what is needed to replace all the bolts. I know to get grade 8 zinc, and head sizes are easy as well as length, but I'm stumped on thread size.

maddawg2012

Observer
Springs etc are cj2 stuff. Available at napa etc

My apologies rockwood,

After reading what I posted, I should have been a bit more clear on what I was trying to find out. Thanks for commenting though. I understand where to get the parts. What I could not tell was if I needed brass bushings along with the shackles, and the spring bolts. This weekend I dismantled the trailer and I removed the springs (In good shape I think), appears the shackles do not use a brass bushing and just screw into the spring. The other end with the spring bolt appears to indeed use a brass bushing. Not sure if it needs to be replaced, but I will order two just in case. The shocks on this trailer are shot! So will have to get a set of those.

Last edited:

maddawg2012

Observer
I was researching options on extending the front out a bit and found this picture, though I failed to capture the build thread. I'm wondering what the size of the metal is and length in this extension. They used the original lunette setup so that is cool.
IMG_0119.jpg
I would give credit to the owner, but don't recall where I got this.
I would be interested in doing this on mine. Seems about the right length. Any gotchas on extending out? I want the extra space and clearance of my Jeep spare.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Looks to be 2" x 3" tubing.
What is the measurement inside the web of the lunette mount?
That would determine the height, and the wide part of the V would be limited to the frame width.

Here is a members trailer with extended frame that uses the original lunette mount.

Attachments

• Photo0208.jpg
    Photo0208.jpg
    320.4 KB · Views: 47

maddawg2012

Observer
Looks to be 2" x 3" tubing.
What is the measurement inside the web of the lunette mount?
That would determine the height, and the wide part of the V would be limited to the frame width.

Yea as I posted that I figured I could get the measurement from the lunette mount or existing frame rails. I like the length though and will guess it to be about 50+ inches long from weld point to lunette. I'll order some steel and see how it goes.

On a side note, I have been going thru the manual and gathering information on bolts, nuts, washers for the frame and tube components and cross referencing with commercial sizes. For the standard stuff I am having no issues finding out what they are. But some of the larger bolts, or custom purpose bolts are a little elusive. There are some Mil numbers too that are not google searchable. So, I will just have to try another way on those. This really only applies to the lunette hardware and mounting bolts to the frame that I have not identified yet.

Bonofied Suiter

Bonofied Suiter
Great build,
I've been working on mine for a while and have a thread here and on Pirate. You may find it interesting. Sorry I can't help with a list of bolts but suggest that you change them all out with grade 8. Strip the rust and use a rust converter before you paint.

I'm about 80% done with mine with the tub being done last. I did have it bead blasted and it cost me a few hundred but was worth it. I'm not doing a tail gate or a RTT. I want to keep it water tight. I will have custom fenders to match the Metal Cloak fenders on the Jeep. I added a tool box that has a battery, inverter and power connections and I may also add a lid with cargo rack that will be removable. I'm setting mine up to handle more extreme trails here in the west like the Rubicon trail. I've changed out the axle, springs, shocks wheels and tires and webt with the Lock-N-Roll off road hitch that articulates without binding or slamming.

I found that a bit of time searching the forums can be quite helpful when deciding what you want to build.

Have fun

Bonofied Suiter

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eclipse179