M416 Expo Trailer

tdittyrocks

Observer
Since I have some down time, I thought I would post some pics of my M416 expedition trailer build up.
IMG_0042.JPG
Here is a picture of its current state.
IMG_0301.JPG
I extended the tongue and added a box to house the battery and electronics.
IMG_0292.JPGIMG_0291.JPG
I swapped in a 3500# Dexter axle with electric brakes and manual parking brakes. I also mounted the spare tire under the frame and use a manual crank tire hoist to raise and lower the tire. I have access to the hoist through the receiver tube.
IMG_0296.JPGIMG_0297.JPGIMG_0295.JPGIMG_0298.JPGIMG_0299.JPG
Here are some pics of the over the fender table. the table ties into the existing tie down hooks on the trailer with some pins. It is stored under the lid and held with toggle clamps.

Attachments

• IMG_0293.JPG
    IMG_0293.JPG
    70.7 KB · Views: 120

tdittyrocks

Observer
IMG_0294.JPG
The stabilizers are hinged to tuck up into the frame.
IMG_0303.JPGIMG_0302.JPGIMG_0044.JPGIMG_0045.JPGIMG_0046.JPG
The swing out cooking station. Spring loaded pin locks it into position.
IMG_0307.JPGIMG_0308.JPGIMG_0313.JPG
The RTT lift system operates on 12v actuators.
IMG_0309.JPG
Here you can see the notches for the control arms. This locks them into position and makes the whole mechanism rock solid. The actuators have a static force of around 1600# each, so there is no need for locking pins to hold everything in place.

tdittyrocks

Observer
IMG_0311.JPG
Another shot of how the control arm fits into the notch of the brackets when lift is at full height.
IMG_0310.JPGIMG_0312.JPG
Solar panel storage. I used some nylon garage track rollers that I mounted to the frame of the solar panel. They slide into some C channel.

tdittyrocks

Observer
This forum is great for generating ideas and sharing information. Much of what I have done with my trailer was influenced by the builds I saw here. I'm pretty happy with my build so far. I still need to figure out my water tank and mount/build an awning. Once those items are done, the major fabrication will be over. Yeah right!

tdittyrocks

Observer
would love to see a detailed build list. Part numbers for the actuators etc. I have a line on a trailer bare bones, with tires and wheels for $150 local to me and the guy told me he can hold it til mid spring. I have been slowly setting aside parts and making a shortlist of my expectations for it. I'm a techi and all about modern amenitys. Actuators have been one of the suggestions I have made to various people for different tasks. Frankly, people are scared of what they do not know!

Here is a video of the lift from when I completed it. The actuators are 400# push/pull force with 18" stroke. The actuators are used mainly to lower the RTT back down. They do aid in raising, but the gas struts do most of the lifting.

[video]www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9UXpyblJYo[/video]

Here is a link to an old thread for the lift.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/96063-RTT-Lift

Last edited:

60Dan

Explorer
Love this setup!
Im building a swing out similar to this, but utilizing a pelican case for the kitchen (much like the AT design)
I like how the pin keeps it secure when being used.

What can I say about the lift design - awesomeness!

Put me on the list for when you start mass producing those ;)

tdittyrocks

Observer
Thanks for the complements guys. I've really been enjoying this trailer, both on the trail and modifying it in the garage.

/dev/m416

/dev/yj tow vehicle
So many ideas in one place! I'd love to see some close-ups of the lid - hinge, corners, latches, etc. And your propane bottle mount too. Oh, and you've got a lot going on there in the tongue box too! What all's tucked inside?

Really great trailer. You may have inspired me to finally finish mine!

tdittyrocks

Observer
So many ideas in one place! I'd love to see some close-ups of the lid - hinge, corners, latches, etc. And your propane bottle mount too. Oh, and you've got a lot going on there in the tongue box too! What all's tucked inside?

Really great trailer. You may have inspired me to finally finish mine!

Here are some pics that might help.
IMG_0315.JPGIMG_0316.JPGIMG_0328.JPG

I welded up some mounts and used some hinges from Home Depot. The hinges had multiple mounting holes. I filled them in and drilled holes where I wanted them. I also welded in captive nuts so I can easily unbolt the lid and remove it.

IMG_0317.JPGIMG_0318.JPG

I used latches from McMaster Carr and welded them to the mounts I made. I also welded a tab to each mount with a couple of holes drilled in them. The lower hole is to hang the lock out of the way and the upper is to lock the latch.

IMG_0319.JPGIMG_0320.JPGIMG_0321.JPGIMG_0322.JPG

I have all the charging and power components housed in the tongue box. I can charge the battery through the vehicle, AC outlet or solar. I used Blue Sea products. I have more wires than I really need. For some reason I felt the need to run individual power and ground wires to the relays and switches. Looks way busier than it needs to be. I may go back and clean this up someday.

IMG_0324.JPG

The propane mounts are from Adventure Trailers. Beautiful product.

Hope these pics help. Let me know if you need something specific.

scramfan01

Adventurer
Great trailer! The swing out is my favorite. You have given me some great ideas for my m416. Thanks for all your posts. Awesome pics you have posted on the "favorite pics of your rig and trailer" thread.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78