M416 Lift spring selection - confused

Monkey_Wrench

Looking at a set of lift springs for my M416, I think it's time to replace the originals before I break one on the trail. Also a nice time to get rid of my lift shackles

I know I can use front lift springs for a CJ Jeep of some kind, but I'm confused about which one. CJ3? CJ5? Are they the same?
4WheelParts has Rancho RS44062 and RS44162 listed for a 1966 CJ5, both 2.5" lift, and RS44020 for a 1957 CJ3B.

Any input would be appreciated :)

Mandatory picture of M416:
R52Gh7fl.jpg

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Front springs for a Jeep CJ-3A or 3B. Shackles for the same. For shackles there are lefts and rights so you'd need one of each if replacing those. Ubolts as well but I "think" there's two different styles depending on axle. Been a lot of years and memory is sketchy.

Monkey_Wrench

Front springs for a Jeep CJ-3A or 3B. Shackles for the same. For shackles there are lefts and rights so you'd need one of each if replacing those. Ubolts as well but I "think" there's two different styles depending on axle. Been a lot of years and memory is sketchy.

Good part crossover article here - sorry to post to another forum, but good info has its own merits.
https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/m416-faq-parts-cross-reference.214163/

Thanks for the replies. CJ3A or B it is. I've already replaced both my C shackles with Daystar shackles as I had to cut them out when I went to a different axle.

GI_Jeepin"

wander looking to get lost
Ok, a quick question. You opened your post looking for a set of lift springs. Did you mean to say Leaf Springs? The original springs on these M416s are the same as 1950's vintage CJ3A/CJ3B FRONT leaf springs (36.25x1.75 inch leaf springs). You can probably source other springs at a Junk Yard so long as they are 1 3/4" wide to fit in the trailer mounts. Direct replacements can be found for about $125 each. If its lift that you need have you considered a spring over conversion?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears