M416 Owners - Original Axle or Dexter - preference?

Bloomer

Looking for input and experience. I have a 3500 lb Dexter axle with electric brakes and considering changing to it in place of the original M416 axle. The original axle is durable and well proven offroad, which has been the reason for holding out on changing. The easily greaseable bearings and electric brakes would be a nice feature to have, which the Dexter axle offers. Cover a lot of highway with the trailer a couple times of year and it sees fairly rough roads and rocks on trips.

Input from those who have made the change would be appreciated. Any longevity or durability issues with Dexter axles?

Thanks

I swapped out an M101A1 axle for a 6K Dexter with a 6x5.5 lug pattern to match my Toyota. The biggest reason was availability of parts, followed closely by the huge weight savings, and then matching the lug pattern and wheel offset. I suspect the M416 axle is much lighter to start with, but the other reasons will still apply.

As an aside, I'm also building out another M101A1 that is going on a heavy diet, with a target of 700lbs. That trailer will get a Dexter 3500lb axle.

PacificNorthWestJeeper

Blissfully Lost
I special ordered the dexter 3k axle with a 'heavy wall' ¼. I used 6k outers with electric brakes.
Reasoning:
- As stated above, parts availability.
- Beefier outers for 35 or 37 in tires.
- Heavier wall so if/when it drops down on a rock it won't bend/break when fully loaded.
- I could use heavier springs, heavier shackles, better bump stops, and nicer shocks.
- The option of a spring over setup to clear bigger tires was a plus.
- Most importantly, it is sexier....

Boom.

Attachments

• t2.jpg
    t2.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 33
  • t5.jpg
    t5.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 33
  • t6.jpg
    t6.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 30