M416 shocks with a SOA.

DrMoab

Explorer
I know there has been a lot of discussion about shocks on a 416...what works and such.

My problem is my 416 has been sprung over and there is only 11 inches from mount to mount.

Has anyone found shocks that will work with a SOA that doesn't involve relocating the factory mounts?

DrMoab

Explorer
I might have to do either that or move the upper mounts.

The guy who built my trailer had the axle and the frame powder coated and I really didn't want to have to grind any off.

But...if I do, I do.

Z Bronco

I bought cheap shocks from NAPA when I did my spring over 16 years ago using the stock mounts. Measure the distance and go get them. The trailer suspension will have more compression with very little extension. The trailer suspensions do not cycle through the suspension like a jeep does. Hope this helps.

DrMoab

Explorer
Thats the problem. At Static height there is 11 inches between shock mounts. The shortest shock anyone sells has an 11 inch compressed length. This leaves me with a shock that would be fully compressed at static height.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
An Excel file that I built many years ago, just for such things like this:
http://northwest.2bigbroncos.net/technical/shocks_files/shock_specs.xls

After sorting it, the first option that I see:

Maker/Model..............Rugged Trail-Nitro/60K
P/N..........................56031/66031
Ext Length................11.19
Comp. Length............8.07
Body Diameter...........2.00
Top Mount Style........EB1
Bottom Mount Style....EB1
Travel (")..................3.12

"EB1" is an eyelet-bushing mount, I just forget the dimensions.

BigDaveZJ

Adventurer
I did an SOA on my M416 and re-used the stock shocks and it works just fine? I don't remember off-hand how I mounted everything and the trailer is at the storage yard so I can't go peek really quick, but there was enough travel in the shocks where I didn't have an issue.

DrMoab

Explorer
napa 32207 part # works great on my soa 416

That comes up as an invalid part number.

Where are your bottom shock mounts located? Are they still on the ubolt retainer plate?

When they did the spring over on mine they also reversed the ubolts which moved the ubolt plate up on top instead of on bottom. This pushed it about three inches closer to the upper mount. All the part numbers I have found on all the 416 sites state that Napa has a shock that will work but when I look the numbers up, it comes up with a shock that has an 11 inch compressed and about a 14 inch extended length. Mine is sitting at 11 inches, normal ride height.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998