M416 Square Grouper build

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
I purchased the M416 on eBay October of 2009 for $600, I drove from West Palm, FL to Atlanta, GA and back to take delivery.

img197.jpg

img200.jpg

Like most things time and planning are required for a good build. It has been over a year and not much has changed.

PA220336.jpg

I removed the rear tire carrier as it was more for looks than practical use, I removed the jerry can holder with the intent of replacing both the holder and tire carrier with dual holders from AT. I did replace the worn out leaky cover with another from a reputable military replica maker.

IMG_1474.jpg

IMG_1475.jpg

With the need to match the wheels and tires to the 4Runner tow vehicle I purchased and axle from ABC axles out of Northern Alabama. The axle was a custom length and looking back may have been a little wide bit still under the track width of the 4Runner. Lift springs were order from superlight with what I believe is 2" of lift. I tried both sprung over and under, but ultimately chose over to give the tires a bit more breathing room in the event any flexing or heavy loading were to occur.

d031d61c.jpg

e6775905.jpg

174a5b6a.jpg

I sanded the frame again and will sand blast it soon enough then primer and paint. Same goes for the tub, there were a few not so great bondo spots but nothing to get upset about. I purchased new drain plugs as well to replace the old worn out units currently on the trailer.

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
In the works are:

30 gallon water tank that will live in between frame rails under the tub.

Spare tire winch from a donor toyota vehicle to hold the spare.
9ea3ba4a.jpg

a873a262.jpg

fdb2afaf.jpg

Deep cycle batteries also to be housed within frame rails.

0-1 gauge wiring to feed batteries off the tow vehicles dual battery setup.

LED marker lights, FJ40 tail lights mounted into a new rear cross member with a 2" receiver.

Integration of a Hi-Lift as the landing leg and tongue jack all in one.....9still not sure how in the hel.....)

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
It may or may not, the 4Runner's spare sits just like this but is a bit higher off the ground. SInce this trailer is a base camp trailer for adventures it isn't as critical that it be able to slide over 55 gallon drums, concrete barriers, or large mammals.

A

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Today the frame and tow frame get separated, sand blasted, and primed. The tub will be sandblasted, bondo, sanded, and primed. A make shift spray booth will be created for top and final coats of Toyota's K73 Millennium Silver to match the 4Runner tow rig.
I think I'm stepping in the right direction with keeping the spare tire, water, and batteries within the frame rails and aiming for a low center of gravity, given I'll be using the largest RTT from Campinglab (that order may get placed this week).

A

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
A mock up of the FJ40 tail lights I plan to use on the trailer.
2f772d73.jpg

I saw someone else had done something similar so I'm not certain who the credit goes to.
The the frame was sandblasted, sanded, primed, and then truck bed liner (spray can version) for simple maintenance. The rear cross member still needs to be replaced with new stock, welded in place a hitch added and then the cutouts made for the tail lights.

A

womacje

Adventurer
Subscribed!!! Love it. Rezarf did the 40 tail lights and sadly they were broken by a faulty tailgate strap. Lesson to be learned, protect them or use them carefully, cuz I know how much they cost, ouch!

Looking great.

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Subscribed!!! Love it. Rezarf did the 40 tail lights and sadly they were broken by a faulty tailgate strap. Lesson to be learned, protect them or use them carefully, cuz I know how much they cost, ouch!

Looking great.

Well sadly these aren't original and were $22 on eBay and are new non OE, I looked into protection from Spector and somewhere else for around $60. I;m not sure if a tailgate is in the plans but I still have to cut the rear panel out as it is dented to hell, bondo'd back from hell and so on.

A

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Time there never seems to be enough no matter what, unless your in jail then there may be to much.
I dropped the trailer off in the interest of time to have the rear cross member cut out and replaced, FJ40 tail lights added, and 2" receiver added and braced. My goal was to have the trailer utility tow-able by Christmas to serve as a better alternative that the roof box (Yakima Space Case) when going from In-laws to parents. We'll see if I make it!
Today, I'm hoping to sandblast and prime the tub, and fenders.
Next week It should be warm enough for paint and towing.

A

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
While trying to stay on target to have the Square Grouper towable pre Christmas I worked on the basic wiring this evening. (Battery wiring will go in but not be tied down until battery selection and stowage location has been selected) I got most of the way through it and called it quits before I started making some odd mistakes. Heres the maxxima LED markers (like some others are using) and my FJ40 tail lamps.

PC203763.jpg

PC203761.jpg

this time around with the trailer lighting I opted to not go with the LED trailer lights I had previously installed as I spent some time on the road behind a few of these setups and while crisp and clear they seared my retinas to a point where I didn't fell it cool to blind the hell out of others from the trailer (the LED marker lights are bright but at least if your behind me your won't notice as much).

A

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
Looking good! As far as the landing leg, I installed a piece of 1/2" plate to bring the leg down enough for the trailer to sit level. I utilized the stock 2 bolt holes, and drilled 4 holes in the plate.

Don't have a pic of that, but can get one if you'd like.

I do have a pic of the fender extensions I made. Helps keep dirt off the trailer.

TrailerProject022.jpg

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
I'm still playing with the idea of a hi-lift as the trailer jack and landing leg. I have a bastard hilift that has been shortened from tree work to about 36" I don't mind cutting it more to get it just right. I was thinking of some 1 1/4" square or 2" bolted to the 2 holes on the drop leg, a T cut for the HL and a retaining bolt through the lower section of the HL foot to secure it.

A

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
I'm still playing with the idea of a hi-lift as the trailer jack and landing leg. I have a bastard hilift that has been shortened from tree work to about 36" I don't mind cutting it more to get it just right. I was thinking of some 1 1/4" square or 2" bolted to the 2 holes on the drop leg, a T cut for the HL and a retaining bolt through the lower section of the HL foot to secure it.

A

Can't find a pic right now:snorkel: But there is a tongue jack out that is similar to the Hi-Lift.

It attatches to the trailer with a piece of pipe, making it easy to rotate and/or remove. Another piece of pipe is welded to the jack, and slides over the pipe welded to the trailer, and held in place with a pin.

Can't find the proper pic, but here's another jack using the same set up.

It would be very easy to modify your Hi-Lift to mount like this to the tongue.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200331157_200331157

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12