M416 Trailer Axles ????

Holmes4x4

So Im looking to redo my M416 trailer to turn into my off road/camping trailer first thing I want to do is redo the axle. I wanted to do an axle over and change over to a 5x5 bolt to match my JK pattern any advice on it would be great also I plan on doing the shocks and springs over at the same time. Any advice on it would be great. Thanks

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Lots of info on this on this forum and on MUD but no part numbers ever mentioned. I am sure it much harder than an easy bolt on.

DonBeasley

Adventurer
Rebuild of axle is easy. It is built on CJ3 parts. Plenty of sites and just an evening of labor. The flip is easy to do at the same time since all the parts are off The whole hub/brake assembly is held the the axle flange with 6 bolts. Just spin it 180 when putting it back together. This will require a slight mod to the tension cable and brackets but also an easy fix.

As for the hub swap, the place to go is USwheeladaptors.com as they are familiar with the M416 and the large center that will need to be milled out on the hub.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
I spoke to USwheeladaptors.com and they have no idea what I was talking about. After I explained that they are mentioned in different forums as a source for this "simple " conversion they asked for the part number. Back to anecdotal stories with no basis behind it . Much like the mysterious Land Cruiser emergency brake when converting to rear disks. Lots of people saying they did it but no further information.

preacherman

Explorer
For my m416 I just measured the spindle size (it's a 1-1/16 out bearing and 1-3/8 inner bearing IIRC) and then went to my local trailer store. They had a correct hub with the bolt pattern I was looking for (jeep TJ). I choose not to do trailer brakes but over all I spent about $50 and it took me less than an hour. I found the whole thing to be way easier than the whole interweb was making it.

Holmes4x4

I thought I heard something about abc tailer parts having full axles, part of my problem is it's slightly bent and everything is shot underneath

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Order a new axle, with the correct flange to flange measurement, pin to pin distance and correct bolt pattern.

95RRC

Adventurer
i spoke with Chris at USWheeladaptors....just gave him some measurements like Don said - told him the pattern from, and what it was for (95 Range Rover Classic) and they came back....only "issue" is the studs are the "newer" LR type, like on the DII so I had to use different nuts than on my vehicle....no problem otherwise.

TenaciousTJ

Explorer
I put a Dexter 3500lb axle under my M416 and had Adventure Trailers make a set of adapters to run my factory JK wheels and machine the center to clear the EZ Lube bearings on the axle. I paid around $177 for the adapters.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78