M416 trailer Cutting round lip???

Holmes4x4

So as your about find out I'm not a M416 purist it is going to be used in expeditions and long trip family camping. What I am planning on doing is cutting the rounded lip and replacing it with a square tubing welded on the inside and coming down from that i want to create somewhat of a skeleton on the inside because I will be using in off camber situations and will be mounting gerry can mounts or roto-Pax containers. The reason for mounting it in the inside I want to give it a nice clean edge to mount a cap on it with a rail to mount a tent and I am planing on mounting 4" flush mounted submersible lights up near the top much like the sierra trailers have. I am looking for the lateral strength to mount the objects on the outside and also have the tube tough enough for a full roll over. Any advice is always welcome. Thanks

kai38

Explorer
I bolted a piece of angle iron along the sides and mounted a 2x2 square along the top to give a flat surface where I use to have my Yakima cross bars attached.

132214923.vAV4yiDp.jpg

DonBeasley

Adventurer
Not sure exactly what you are looking for but if you look at my build thread, I welded angle iron over the round tube, as Stuart is suggesting. It allows my lid (from Sierra) to fit flush and then I put a RTT on that. I have Rotopax on the side and could put jerry cans if needed but I chose to go with propane for my cooking, hot shower, and eventually heater needs.

Take a look and post LOTS of pictures. Remember without pictures it didn't happen!!!!

Holmes4x4

Unless this modification is to also straighten the original round top rail or tub what might be bent.
I suggest to weld in the square tubes first, making use of an already rigid structure then cut off the round tube and all.

I could envision problems fitting things square or fighting against some springy-ness of the sheetmetal thats released after the round tube were cut off.
Yeah this is part of the reason have a slight bow in one side I need to straighten it bow is only about 15 inches long but this is part of the reason

Holmes4x4

I bolted a piece of angle iron along the sides and mounted a 2x2 square along the top to give a flat surface where I use to have my Yakima cross bars attached.

132214923.vAV4yiDp.jpg
I like that angle look maybe thats an option i am going look into it

hesterj

Adventurer
1 1/4 Angle iron is how I corrected my trailers lip concerns also. Both of the side walls were given some TLC using the hilift. It held them in while the new cap was welded into place. Worked well

Trailpsycho

Observer
Someone else on here used some C-channel....1.5", if I remember correctly. I was contemplating following that example. Angle would work as well.

I have contemplated doing as you described and for the reasons given, was not too keen on it. What I think would look great is 1X2" tubing replacing the round tubing. I guess, the inside could be tacked/jigged in place on the inside to remove the round on the outside, then replace it with the 1X2 rectangular. Sounds like a little extra work, but I think it would look and function really well and provide a great surface for mounting a hinge.

Good luck with your options, take pics and post 'em.

Cheers!

John

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger