M416 w/ roof top tent?

KenB1010

I resently picked up an M416 style trailer and I plan on putting a Maggiolina roof top tent on the top of it. I'd like to install the tent onto the trailer using sliders so that I can slide the tent forward or back to gain access to the contents of the trailer.

This seemed easy while I was picturing it in my brain, but putting it into reality isn't working out that easy. Anyone have an idea how to do this?

The trailer tub is 6' long and the tent is 7', that means that the tent has to slide forward and back 4' in order to gain access to 1/2 of the trailer. And of course it still needs to be strong enough to be stable in use off-road.

Any ideas of how to accomplish this?:coffeedrink:

BigDaveZJ

Adventurer
I just made a lid and mounted the tent to that. Easy access to the tub, and it keeps my gear dry in heavy rain too.

SGNellett

Adventurer
Yeah, as I recall, the 416 has no tailgate, right? It seems that the easier, or at least more common, solution to this problem is a lid, hinged on one side, that the tent is attached to. If you try to get it to move when you want it to, you will have to worry about it moving when you DON'T want it to, like while driving down the highway or a trail!

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
Another thought-ish...

Maybe you could build a flat lid for the trailer that slides back and forth like...uh, geeze. This is hard to explain but it makes sense in my noggin'! LOL! Let me try to explain...no wait, there is to much. Allow me to sumup....
(5 brownie points for guessing the vague movie reference!)
The trailer bed is 6 feet long. Imagine a lid that is 3x6 (size of the trailer) . Now cut that 3x6 into two 3x3s.The heavier end of the RTT is affixed to one of these securely and the other end rests on a pair of feet to give the RTT support. The two 3x3 lid parts sit within a pair of channels running the length of the trailer and can be slid forward or rearward to access each half of the cargo area. One half sliding with the Affixed RTT and the other is not. Sorry if this is a really bad explination but I can visualize it, I could draw it (no way to put that on the 'puter though) and I could likely even build it! I just suck at describing it...*bows head in shame*

womacje

Adventurer
Some heavy drawer slides, ie 200lbs'ers, should do the trick. now if you want a dust/water free environment in the trailer, this will be way trickier. If not, build a frame for the sliders to sit on and bolt the slides on to the frame, then the wood to the sliders and if you get full extension slides you'll have access to all the trailer when open, just make sure you have a long tongue and the slides go towards the landing leg:victory:

Thats my thought. make sure to post pics up as you go!, i'm really curious as to how you do this.

Jeremy

Jager

Pickup load handler

There are a couple of manufacturers that make a load handler which is just as a couple of members have mentioned above. It's like a giant drawer system, pulls out so you can access the stuff in the back of the bed if you have a camper shell on the truck. Not sure if there's a size to fit a 416 trlr though but worth a look.

KenB1010

After doing allot of research on the sliders, I've decided to do a hinged top like many others have done. I'm going to use something similar to TacoDell's design. I like the simplicity and the reliability of it.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41123&page=3

I also like the idea of a truck bed slider that several of you suggested. It would neccessetate cutting a door in the back of the trailer. Off the shelf models have the system pre-designed but are in the range of $800. I think that I'll start with the lid and think about the bed slider later.

I appreciate everyones ideas.:)

IMG_2012.jpg

IMG_2011.jpg

This is my starting point. I can't believe that I found this trailer.

Last edited:

KenB1010

OK an update. I've been coping TacoDell's design with some minor changes. I made the lid 3" wider and longer than the trailer to give me some protection for that expensive RTT. The thought is that they will act as rock rails. I inverted the hinges and used clevis pins with the ends drilled out so that I could use a reciever lock for security. I added 2 Blitz can holders to the front tongue for gas cans and 2 more inside the trailer for scepter water cans. Spare tire is currently in the trailer. I used wheel adapters to go from 4 x 4.5 trailer hub to 5 x 5.5 to match the future hub size on the jeep. 17" ProComp soft 8's allong with 37/12.7 tires replaced the original worn out and cracked tires.

Still to due:
Figure out how and where to mount the spare. I need the gas cans on the tongue to be more secure. Get metal bushings for the hinges. Install LED lights for camping and work. Back-up lights.

A group of use is going on a trip to death valley this week so that will be the test run for the trailer. We'll see if anything falls off or breaks.

IMG_2053a.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_2050.jpg

IMG_2051.jpg

IMG_2052.jpg

IMG_2055.jpg

IMG_2054.jpg

KenB1010

Amazing..........you built that from scratch huh? :Wow1:

No, I bought the base trailer used from a guy in Simi Valley who had to sell his jeep and had no use for the trailer. He used it as a hunting trailer.

Really like the lid design. Did you cut off the tube all together or what. Looks great! Have fun with it!

The trailer itself is a knock-off of a M416, it is the same width and a foot longer. I built the lid using TacoDell's design from his thread. It's made from 1.25 14 guage square stock. I was going to put a sheet metal cover on the top, but then I found that the RTT fit over the lid and provided full coverage for the trailer. I saved about 50lbs by not using the sheet metal to cover the lid. My welding ability got pretty good after doing this project. :)

TacoDell

Adventurer
Looks great Ken ! !

glad I could be an inspiration to your build :)

Oh FWIW.. I'd rather have fuel cans at the front or at the sides then hanging off the back end... where someone might rear end yer butt.

Just sayin' ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears