Mac or Sony laptop for long expedition travel

mervifwdc

Adventurer
Hi,

I'm heading off on a year+ trip, with a focus on photography. I shoot raw files, so I need a load of storage. I'll be in a 4x4, so no worries on storage space (i.e. not backpacking / biking). I want a way to keep a blog updated, and a photo site, be able to catalog and handle many thousands of shots while on the road. I want to be able to some (but hopefully not extensive) post processing.

I was thinking of a sony laptop (I can get my old one from work for about 1400 euro, VPCZ1, I7, SSD drives high end machine) with a few external drives, and I'll need to get lightroom + photoshop for it, but since I'm on a new voyage (so to speak), I thought I'd look at going the Mac route, and see if it had any advantages.

I already have an Ipad2, and we both use iphones, so we're already setup with itunes etc.

my concerns:
Speed - will a macbookpro download / backup files as quick, or quicker than a fast laptop?

Calibration - is it easy to calibrate a mac monitor (I intend to do some Post Processing while on the road).

Power: Can I get a 12vDC power supply for a mac? (I have a big inverter, but it's not a very clean sine wave)

External hard disks - Can I just plug in regular external hard drives? Do I have to use the apple air disks?

dust/vibration - how "tough" are the mac's?

any other points I should be considering?

Thanks!
Merv.

pixelcodex

Observer
I will chip in with my Mac experience. I will let others do so with PC if they want.

I would have no qualms about a MacBook pro in any of the areas. As a matter of fact, i would say you will get better/truer colors on a mac using adobe photoshop or lightroom. However, some advice:

Mac is much more user friendly therefore the learning curve will be much less.

A mac is not going to be any more susceptible to dirt than a Sony. I would recommend getting a plastic cover for it. Basically a hard shell that snaps on both sides of the laptop.
If you are not sold on a mbpro, you could consider something like an Air. They come with solid state hard drives as an option, and although not as large, have no moving parts like a regular hard drive. Much better if you are on the move. You can also have somebody knowledgeable swap the hd on the mbpro for a solid state. In terms of additional storage they sell some external hd that are very small and USB powered, so no need for additional power supplies, etc. The mb air does not have an internal DVD player, which is why they can make them that slim.

I am answering on my phone so not sure if any questions remain unanswered.

Good luck.

Fernando

ReconH3

Heavy Duty Adventurer
If you aren't getting a Toughbook, then get a Mac. Anything other than the Toughbook is going to be just as susceptible to environmental conditions. Otherwise, Macs are much more stable and trouble free. For anything photo/design orientated it's also much better.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

Sent from my iPhone

sross

Adventurer
I have had a very good experience with Lenovo Thinkpads. They are not consumer laptops and are designed for traveling business men. They are also easily serviceable so when something does break they are easy to fix. Their tech department is also fantastic with a worldwide distribution system. In Iraq, we had Thinkpads and various Dells. We constantly had problems with the dells and just the usual window's issues with the Thinkpads. My personal laptop has been banging back and forth between the middle east and the US quiet a bit since I bought it in 2008. They are also significantly less expensive than Macs with similar specs. Another benefit, is that they are not flashy looking like a Mac and even a brand new box will look a decade old.

Pathfinder

Adventurer
I have an 11 inch Mac Air that handles Lightroom3 quite nicely, but my 13 in MacBook offers more external connections ( Fire Wire, 2 USB ports etc ), as I like to use a Firewire card reader, and have two external USB drives for copying my Raw files to, so that I can copy and backup my image files all at the same time.

The SSD on a MacAir is too small to hold your raw files, it maxes out about 256 Gb. But it IS fast and a delight to use. I use two external 1 Tb USB drives for storage. But Compact Flash is getting so large that one can carry half a dozen 32 GB cards and shoot an awful lot of files without worrying about file transfers too...

Mac brick power supplies can use 110/220 and are rather forgiving of inverters. Goal Zero makes a couple of nice ones for electronics like this - http://www.google.com/products/cata...Tu78D8mmsAKYlZnYAw&ved=0CFIQ8wIwAg#ps-sellers

I do favor solid state memory over spinning discs, but external SSDDs are still pricey and heavy too. -- http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/firewire/

You can calibrate a Mac's screen with the included software, but an external colorimeter, like a i1D2 is a much better plan. My MacBook Pro is calibrated with hardware, but my MacAir was done with the included Apple software, so you can see that I am not always consistent either.

Western Digital and Toshiba both make cheap USB powered external drives from 500 Gb to 1.5 Tbs. I find them at Sam's all the time.

I think ToughBooks will tolerate abuse better, but given a little care my Mac has travelled with me without fail.

I have a dark matte vinyl cover for my iPad, and a similar shell for a MacBook will keep a lower profile.

If you already have an iPad2 and iPhones, I think you will strongly prefer a MacBook or a MacAir to returning to the Windows world, but that is just my opinion.

Here is a pure sine wave inverter that is reasonable and looks well built - http://www.theinverterstore.com/the....php?cat=PSW&gclid=CP7z4sPzsasCFUdrKgodZzX6hA

Last edited:

grntrdtaco

Adventurer
i would say whatever you are used to in terms of troubleshooting and fixing yourself. I prefer macs but if you are not comfortable on one it might not be the best of ideas for a long trip away from home.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Check the service capabilities

I used to use all Sony notebooks but have since switched to Apple stuff. One of the big issues I had was trying to get any warranty/service work done on the Sony machines outside the USA. They do have service centers in other countries but will not work on products built for other countries. I had to send 2 of my machines back to the USA from the UK for warranty work (one twice and they eventually replaced that one with a new one).

Apple on the other hand maintains that they will service any product in any country. Luckily I have not had to test this out. (5 years on Apple products now).

And the other advantage is using the iPad as an extra monitor :)

HumphreyBear

Adventurer
This is (so far) a relatively benign discussion, but you risk invoking a war of near-religious fanaticism with a question like this… :)
In my opinion (I’m a professional computer nerd, FWIW) for your needs it is simply go with the one you feel comfortable with. There is no superiority in build quality despite what some people may try and tell you – they’re all built on Intel with boards built in factories in China now. Dust and vibration will affect a Sony or Mac (or HP or any other quality build) equally. The SSD is a good idea, though I’ve seen people on here with spindle disks which have done 80,000km around the world without issue, and others who haven’t lasted 2,000. Cheap or old SSDs have a short life span as they have a limited number of times they can write to a cell, and the early algorithms were not exactly great at ensuring the data was written equally around the ‘disk’.
Windows 7 is a very stable and capable operating system if you go the Sony route – and both a MBPro and Windows will give you trouble if you choose weird cheap Chinese peripherals, but if you stick to the recognised and mainstream brands you should not have any significant driver issues. My Vaio (a 2006 TX series) is still running strong despite bouncing around in my motorbike panniers for months and being bounced off the roof of a bus in Colombia after the driver hit a bump a … little too hard.
In terms of calibrating you can easily calibrate either a Sony or MBPro (or Air) screen (as in the operating system drivers), though you are not exactly going to get a reference grade monitor out of it. You can at least get something relatively close, and set your colour space appropriately by using an external USB screen sensor – there are some good ones around, mine was $650, but you can find cheaper ones. I’ve never had much luck with internal colour calibration tools. If you browse other forums you can get some good tips (I use Photoshop and REDUser forums which have some good people and info). REDUser has a number of people using calibrated either MBPros or Windows laptops for ‘offline’ post work (albeit digital video editing work). YMMV.
One advantage you’ll have with a Mac is the ability to set up a wireless screen link with your iPad. I’ve only seen it on a new MBAir, so you’ll need to look into the MBPro capabilities. It will help you reclaim some screen space from toolbars and the like. Photoshop CS5 has some nice integration features with iPad apps for minor things as well, tho for the default app stuff it works identically for CS5 on Windows and Mac (from memory, I use CS5 on Windows 7). It is also possible to do to a wireless connection to an external screen from the new Sonys (say the Z series), and others, as the technology is Intel Widi, but the adaptor/receiver is built into the iPad somehow, and obviously they won’t allow a non-Apple product to interface with it.
A clean signal is critical for all PC equipment – if you don’t have a clean wave coming off the inverter then I suggest you get a small filter for the computer equipment and ALWAYS use it, whichever way you go.
Regarding external HDDs – if you get a new Mac you can use the Thunderbolt connection to get some pretty decent and fast drives and drive arrays, some using various RAID levels for either speed or redundancy. Again, the new Sony Z has a Thunderbolt port (which being Sony is somewhat a proprietary version) but you won’t get Windows peripherals for it until next year as Thunderbolt (again an Intel technology) is only being licensed to Apple until then. The new Sony uses the port for a BluRay burner and as a high speed connector for docking ports.
Good Luck!
Humphrey

Last edited:
Power: Can I get a 12vDC power supply for a mac? (I have a big inverter, but it's not a very clean sine wave)
Merv.

Ermnnn... I know it's not related to the Mac vs Sony question. But I have put a bit of thought into the worst case scenario of fried electronics for the traveling photographer.

I know that computers are somewhat tolerant of their power supply. But you should do a backup of your important files anyways. In my view the computer is a expendeble item. Great when they work, and when they stop working, there is only minimal grief as you have everything on a seperate back-up.
Pretty much everywhere in the world, you can pick up a new computer that will do the job right away.

Fried electronics of your camera is another matter. If you do this trip with photography as a primary focus, the last thing you want to see is a dead camera. Typicaly we travel with hugely expencive camera systems. They sometimes have a very dedicated chargers, that you can only get in well stocked camera stores.
Typically even in well stocked camera stores, there will still be some waiting time, before they get it from the official importer, be it Nikon, Canon or any other brand.

If you are not so lucky to own the latest and greatest model camera, there is the issue of getting the right charger for your now outdatet model.

I would make sure to use a good inverter with a perfect sine wave, not to ruin camera or the power supply to those extremely important back-up drives.

If a laptop dies, put it to good use showeling snow or mud.
If a camera dies... grief and frustration is heading your way.

mervifwdc

Adventurer
Thanks folks, these are the types of comments and feedback I was hoping for. I'll answer a few questions that were asked.

I dont plan to use the laptop or mac as the navigation device, so it will be stored away while travelling, and switched off. Spinning disks and bumpy roads dont match so well :) I plan to use the Ipad and a TomTom as 2 separate navigation devices. I have ways to mount each in the cab with ram mounts, which I plan to use for everything.

I do plan to store images and maps on separate drives, duplicated for backup purposes, so I'm used to the idea that a computer or ipad fries, then just replace it and continue. My spare tyre cost more than a spare ipad so....

Charging things: I've got a 12v connector for my camera's charger (Canon 1 series chargers can connect direct to 12v DC with the right connector), and if I stick with my Sony (I use it every day, the only question is if I "buy" it from my company when I leave), I have an igo 12v charger. No inverter required. I have a 2000watt inverter (12v to 220V) which will run a small printer, small angle grinder and other small stuff, but I'm hoping to have most things powered by 12V DV. I'll take a look at the clean inverters mentioned in the thread too. as I've 2 cameras, I've 2 chargers, and I'll be bringing both. sidebar: I know someone who flew on a 1 week phototrip, and his luggage never arrived. He had to manage for 1 week with no re-charges to his camera, and he had to be very thoughtful about when he used it. I cannot imagine what it would be like for multiple weeks with no charger!

Storage / Backups / Drives: I plan to bring a few gigs worth, ideally "known brand" models that run 100% powered by USB. No power requirements. As I shoot raw, and sometimes too much of it, I backup a lot. I carry about 6 32gig cards for the cameras, but as I'm hoping to be travelling for over a year, I want to be able to use drives as storage. I also plan to have enough of them that I can make copies of each card onto 2 drives. Every few months I plan to ship 1 drive home, so eventually I'll have all images sent home, and a copy with me on my travels.

Screens: I did'nt know about the Ipad as the second screen - that's clever! We're in debate (My wife and I) about bringing a TV, something like a 22" samsung LED. They are not too big or heavy, and as they have a hdmi port, and so does my Sony (and I can get them for Mac's) that could give me a second screen - and a reason to want to do calibration i'm sure. We've not settled on the TV thing yet through as we're also learning about satellite etc. Also, it would be a pain for shipping as we have to ship RORO, and the more expensive toys in the back..... Hmmmm. The Ipad is getting more interesting!

I've got about 4 more days to make up my mind, but I must admit I dont see a huge reason to move from windows, and stick with my Sony....

Merv

Adventurer
HI,
I think there is only one choice that makes sense in your case - The Panasonic Toughbook. While you may be ambitious enough to do post processing on the road, the most important thing is to have a reliable computer in the first place. I know from experience the Toughbook is tough. I'm also a photographer but I don't do any processing on the road. I just store the images and wait until I get home to do my processing. I do some culling to recover some disk space from the not-so-good photos but that's it.

In addition to aiding my photography, I mostly use the Toughbook for my on-board navigation system along with Terrain Navigator software and a Garmin GPS. Since this use is of primary importance, I would not consider any other computer. I have literately shaken computers apart. Normal consumer computers are not up to the job.

All this plus I don't know of a laptop display that is good enough for critical Photoshop adjustments. I use calibrated Eizo monitors at home which is the way to go. BTW, I'm a Windows person if that makes a difference.

Sparky

mervifwdc

Adventurer
I have a Toughbook, a CF-29, and it's grand for navigation, emails and regular stuff, but image processing and it shows it's age! I'm slow to invest 5k+ in a toughbook again as I'd prefer to invest 2k in a "current" machine every second or third year, than have a toughbook that is still running through think and thin (and yes, I know how tough they are!) but is'nt really up to the newer tasks I want to ask of it.

My current major issue with the CF-29 is the screen quality - it's not great at displaying images. I went for the touch screen model (the idea being it would be great for navigation) and I think that back then, there was'nt a screen that was touchscreen AND high quality (in terms of displaying images). I've not abandoned the idea of using it, but it's too slow, and the screen sucks too much for image processing.

While travelling, I don't plan to post process every image, or even to perfection, but I do want to be able to keep my web site updated as we travel, and be able to send a few samples out that are not straight from the camera. I'm hoping to be on the road for quite a while, so if I do manage to make any sales, I dont think anyone will want to wait till I get home to work on them! :) I also like to critique myself as I go along, and it's good to see the images large on a good screen (Ok, not as good as Eizo monitors!) to know if I'm getting the results I'm looking for.

Like most people have said if you don't go ToughBook go MacBook. Tom and Janet from Adventurousspirits.com have been using a ToughBook since their trip to Africa and seem to be quite happy with it.

Me, I am a Mac guy and I simply can't afford a ToughBook anyway. We have been using an old iBook and a MacBook since we've been on the road (Lacey spilled a cup o' Joe on the iBook a few months ago, only the keyboard fried...). We are no photo pros and my web skills definitely need some work (just look at our website), but the MacBook has been there for us through sand, heat, mud and dust. I can't tell you how much of a beating this poor thing has received. The Mac has an internal gyroscope that stops the hard drive when it senses sudden movement, so this provides a modicum of protection for the hard drive. That is unless you go for the ridiculously priced yet droolworthy SSD drive. How tough is the Mac... I would not call it tough, but as I mentioned we have had no problems with our "work" laptop in 3 years we have owned it (2 of those on the road) and now I have an iPad as well.

We carry the laptops in pelican cases with Pelican "rechargeable" desiccator tins inside. The Pelican protects them form water, dust, sand and perhaps a little cushioning while offroading or washboard roads. We have 3 external hard drives and back up the laptop weekly using time machine. We keep one of the hard drives in a Pelican box. Why so many backups? We are paranoid of loosing photos and we have 500 gig of movies/TV shows in one of them as well :). We ship a drive to our family every few months.

According to the pundits the current iteration of the Mac with maxed out ram is indeed faster than a PC, but for how long?Point is: they are fast. Also remember the laptop can only upload to the hard drive only as fast as the hard drive will take it.

Any external hard drive will work, even one formatted for PC

Sadly there are no reliable 12v to 12v converters for the apple, but a good inverter should work (it has for us and we are not using a pure sine...

IMHO you should get what you can afford and what you feel comfortable with. I am sure a Sony would do fine. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I would suggest the 13" MacBookPro with 8gb ram and 256 SSD. It's fast, strong, durable and very capable. In addition, it has an excellent built in camera which makes Skype (or FaceTime) sessions a joy. On a long trip, video chat to folks at home is incredible powerful. With the increadibly fast Thunderbolt port and a 1.5gb external drive, plus a Cloud account (coming next month), you'll have plenty of storage and archival options. I think apple sells a 12vdc cable for it also. I seem to recall that option in the online configurator. Also, through the App store, you can convienently download any software you might need while you are traveling.

Edit: I forgot a few other important considerations. The MBP keyboard is sealed, and is backlight, which is awesome when processing images at night after dinner and a long days journey. Plus, the screens on Mac's are far superior, with much richer color depth than most monitors. I can see things on my wifes MBP that I can't see in my high end 27" Dell monitor. I think you'll find the Mac's battery is stronger and longer lasting than the Sony also. It's a consistent and genuine 5 to 7 hours depending on what we are doing.... and that's after 2 years of use.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears