Mac OS X 10.4.10

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
Normally I wouldn't post this here, but as there are a bunch of new mac users here, Mac OS X 10.4.10 is out today and the install is a bit buggy on the Intel machines. Before installing, repair your permissions and unplug any USB, firewire, PCMCIA devices except for keyboard and mouse. It is generally recommended that you download the update rather than download/install through software update.

While mac updates are generally pretty simple and straight forward, occasionally you get one like this that tends to be a bit finicky. This one also seems to require two restarts.

HongerVenture

Adventurer
Thanks for posting this!

Do you have any info links regarding the "buggy" nature of this update? I read several Mac news sites and hadn't heard this yet.

I did it last night on my Intel Macbook Pro... and I did it through Software Update. I'm not sure if it restarted once or twice as I left it along upon restart last night.

Joel

DaktariEd

2005, 2006 Tech Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
I did the Software update last night and then shut down.
This morning it auto-restarted twice. Very slow out of the chute...
Hopefully will settle down soon...

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
HongerVenture said:
Thanks for posting this!

Do you have any info links regarding the "buggy" nature of this update? I read several Mac news sites and hadn't heard this yet.
Joel

I should probably clarify. There are some bugs with the update that seem to be very isolated and only effect Harmon Kardon speakers. It was the installation part of the update that was causing problems. More info on Macrumors, so far 182 people are okay and 110 are reporting problems. I think it has to do with the fact that for intel computers it is a 74 MB update, where the PPC computers it is only a 49 MB update.

I just don't want new users to have problems and think that all mac updates are like this.

DaktariEd

2005, 2006 Tech Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
After the slow startup it ran like a top again. Must have just had a lot to tweak while starting...

Never have had any real problems with updates...ever...>18 years of MacExperience...

:wings:

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
bigreen505 said:
I think it has to do with the fact that for intel computers it is a 74 MB update, where the PPC computers it is only a 49 MB update.
Maybe there's something about odd my old G4 iMac, but it's only 22.1MB for my computer.

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
DaktariEd said:
After the slow startup it ran like a top again. Must have just had a lot to tweak while starting...

Never have had any real problems with updates...ever...>18 years of MacExperience...

:wings:

I've only had one go wrong. It was the standard update procedure, but somehow the computer crashed during the installation, so I had to reinstall the system. This install was acting the same way which made me very nervous. I had to install it three times and force quit at least twice, which is not good during an install.

Overall it seems to be working fine and the computer is much more stable running Rosetta.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears