Macbook + Garmin 76csx = options???

matt s

Explorer
As the title alludes to I have a 76csx and my macbook pro that both go with me on my small adventures.

Simple question, does anyone know of a way to make the two play together on the (off the) road. The 76csx rocks, but that screen is painfully small. Since the macbook is coming along for the ride anyway... well you get the idea.

I searched here and spent time with google, but didn't come up with much.

I do have garmin basecamp installed and can transfer routes etc, but I don't see where it gets any data from the gps in real time.

Jamin_GX

Adventurer
On my phone so I don't want to bother going to Garmin's website -- does the 76 have an antenna connection or just USB? If it has an antenna connection I believe you can use it as the GPS antenna and feed it to your MacBook running navigation software in a Windows environment.

o0synge0o

Adventurer
On my phone so I don't want to bother going to Garmin's website -- does the 76 have an antenna connection or just USB? If it has an antenna connection I believe you can use it as the GPS antenna and feed it to your MacBook running navigation software in a Windows environment.

Not necessary...

I do just what you are describing, matt s. I run my MacBookPro with my 76csx on a RAM-Mount in my FJ Cruiser. Go to http://www.macgpspro.com/ to get the topo software, and order yourself up a USA-19HS Keyspan USB adapter to couple the Garmin to the laptop.

Works like a charm!

o0synge0o

Adventurer
Eh, I just glanced over at my pile of nav stuff that I haven't put back into the truck from when I was going to sell it... I know I was using the Keyspan when I was running everything into google-earth on the Dell. That sort of data manipulation won't quite work with the USB, however MacGPS Pro has the proper drivers to use the USB from the Garmin. I just hooked it up and double verified.

Sorry about that, had a brainfart. No need for the adapter, there is however a slight learning curve for the software, and it takes a little bit of tweaking and driving around to figure out how you want your preferences and options set. It is nice though, and I prefer it to some of the other topo software I've seen others use.

It's also nice that the Garmin will use the USB as external power, and you wont have to fuss with other cables like you do if you're using the serial adapter(if you don't want to chew up batteries, that is).

bcrez

Adventurer
I just want to clarify... when you hook up the GPS to the mac using this set up, do you get live positioning on the computer?

No need for the adapter, there is however a slight learning curve for the software, and it takes a little bit of tweaking and driving around to figure out how you want your preferences and options set. It is nice though, and I prefer it to some of the other topo software I've seen others use.

It's also nice that the Garmin will use the USB as external power, and you wont have to fuss with other cables like you do if you're using the serial adapter(if you don't want to chew up batteries, that is).

o0synge0o

Adventurer
I just want to clarify... when you hook up the GPS to the mac using this set up, do you get live positioning on the computer?

Nope, it's just nice to have the Garmin running on external power so you don't have to burn up batteries, and the backlight stays on. After you do it long enough, you get decent at guessing where you are on the topo software...

:jump: I crack me up!!

All joking aside, yes, you get live positioning on the mac, with the ability to import tracks to follow, make new tracks, create waypoints, and display all sorts of variables pertaining to your tracks, in realtime and in review. It will also auto-open only the map grids that you are currently on, and have been on, with the ability to simply double-click in a blank area to open additional sections, so that you aren't managing a huge map-file. When I get home tonight, I'll post up a screenshot of the map window open with the current position marker enabled, the live coordinate display, the satellite info pane, and whatever other screens you are looking for. Just lemme know what functionality you are interested in and I'll get some captures for you guys.

matt s

Explorer
what mount are you gonna be using with the mac?

To be determined. I would need to get it up and running first. If I like what I find I will look into mounts. In the mean time I am sure I will come up with some way to secure it on my console or passenger seat.

o0synge0o

Adventurer
Alright, I got some screen-shots for you guys...

The first one shows the realtime coordinate window in the top-left, the Satellite tracking info in the top right, the Data Management/Selection window across the bottom, and the options for what maps you want it to auto-open as your location changes.

The second one shows the same three information windows, as well as the 1:100,000 map that it automatically retrieved. The red asterisk in the upper, center portion of the map is my "Current Position Marker"

The third one shows the same info as the second, less the data management/selection window, but also shows the contents of the "View" tab, which allows you to select what info/metrics that you want displayed, and to change the colors of your displayed information.

The fourth and final window just shows my position and corresponding map section, as well as an old, un-edited track of a trail near my house that I opened just to demonstrate. You can double-click anywhere in the white area to open additional map sections for those areas.

Let me know if you guys want to see anything else

Attachments

• macgpspro1.jpg
    macgpspro1.jpg
    308.3 KB · Views: 24
  • macgpspro2.jpg
    macgpspro2.jpg
    500.1 KB · Views: 20
  • macgpspro3.jpg
    macgpspro3.jpg
    730.2 KB · Views: 17
  • macgpspro4.jpg
    macgpspro4.jpg
    262.4 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

matt s

Explorer
Did you purchase the maps from macgpspro or are you able to load other maps? For instance I have the garmin topos for the US.

BTW thanks for the screen shots, that helps a lot.

o0synge0o

Adventurer
I am running the MacGPSpro maps, I don't know if the Garmin maps would work or not, all of my maps for my garmin are converted and referenced, I haven't bought any of the Garmin branded ones.

o0synge0o

Adventurer
No prob on the captures, let me know if there's any other functionality that you're looking for. You might drop them an email to ask about the maps, otherwise it might tell on the website if I remember... I think I recall it being compatible with outside files as long as they're referenced correctly, but I honestly don't know for sure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998