Macbook Pro as GPS (in lieu of iPad or Android)

surly

surly adventurer
Can receivers like Garmin Glo or bad Elf work with a MacBook as they would with a tablet? I have searched and searched and not found a definitive answer.
We did try Google Earth which was pretty slow and unwieldy. Granted I don’t know how to use it but I don’t see Mrs. Surly enjoying it either so that option isn’t on the table.
My current set up is a Garmin Zumo 590LM for our 4X4. We would like more screen real estate and map flexibility.

Our recent purchase was a Garmin Glo which seems to work well with our iPad2 and MotionX (I am recovering from surgery so my testing was pretty limited). One might say “why not use the iPad” which sounds like a great idea except…. It belongs to a 6 year old and I don’t want to be mean. Besides, on long drives it keeps us all sane!

Our plans are to keep the Zumo in the 4X4. It is a great GPS with lifetime map updates but we want the ability to load different maps and have that larger screen for a better overall picture of where we are/going.

Options as I see them:
1. Use the laptop with the Garmin Glo, if possible.

2. Purchase an Android or iPad. We have a credit with Apple what effectively brings the iPad price in line with Android tablets so cost isn’t a factor in that decision.

So what do you folks think, can our MacBook complete our GPS needs?

Thank you

Scott H Murray

Adventure Photog
I used to use a bluetooth GPS reciever that my MBP picked up and ran Ozi Explorer. Now I use an ipad and run mudmaps, may upgrade that to Hema though.

surly

surly adventurer

Alas they say this" iOS-only Bluetooth receivers such as the Garmin GLO are not supported."

Though I did pair my GLO with my Macbook. I should email them and see if it works with BadElf and maybe ask why it doesn't with the Glo.
We have some many various Garmin's for hiking, biking, running and their service has always been great it was our default choice.

surly

surly adventurer
I used to use a bluetooth GPS reciever that my MBP picked up and ran Ozi Explorer. Now I use an ipad and run mudmaps, may upgrade that to Hema though.

Hema stuff looks sexy but they don't seem to have North America digital maps. Also Expedition Overland uses them so they are probably very expensive :coffee:

kylekai

Observer
You may be required to maintain an Internet connection with your Mac to view some maps. That's how it works with Apple Maps. With the iPad/iPhone you can view maps without an Internet connection, but the map must have been downloaded sometime in the past. For the iPad, be sure to get one cellular enabled so it includes a GPS. Don't think non cellular devices have a GPS.

takesiteasy

Adventurer
It was in my post... MacGPS Pro. It allows you to use any map that you can geo-reference. So we use some county road maps, state highway maps and misc. maps. You can purchase USFS and USGS topo maps through the company that are ready to go (not necessarily up to date though). The program automatically loads the correct maps as you travel and they match up without borders. Works well for us.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JCCB1998