Magellan Crossover 3.5"

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
IntrepidXJ said:
preloaded

On the site is says it is preloaded with both Street AND Topo... :drool:

Major selling point IMO considering that when I bought my Garmin eTrex I had to then spend another $100 on the North American Topo software from Garmin...

benedmonson

Disabled Adventurer
This looks like the GPS I'm looking for now that I know that it comes preloaded with the North American streets and maps. Here is the even larger question has anybody used the Magellan Mapsend Topo Mexico before, is it new. This is the closer for me, it's already less than what I was going to spend, but if it has information for mexico then it is a no-brainer!!!!!!

LexusAllTerrain

Expedition Leader
benedmonson said:
This looks like the GPS I'm looking for now that I know that it comes preloaded with the North American streets and maps. Here is the even larger question has anybody used the Magellan Mapsend Topo Mexico before, is it new. This is the closer for me, it's already less than what I was going to spend, but if it has information for mexico then it is a no-brainer!!!!!!

I will be interested in the Magellan Mapsend Topo Mexico, can you install on this unit?

I know there is an upgrade to the topo sofware the unit comes with, however i do not have any information on the above, highly interested!:punk03:

benedmonson

Disabled Adventurer
According to the Magellan website it will work with the crossover, Just looking for someone who has used it???

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
eurorom said:
I will be interested in the Magellan Mapsend Topo Mexico, can you install on this unit?

I know there is an upgrade to the topo sofware the unit comes with, however i do not have any information on the above, highly interested!:punk03:

x2! :lurk:

LawBlazer

It's $259.99 from the following ebay seller.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Magellan-Crosso...ryZ84076QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

However, as mentioned earlier, Costco is selling the Crossover for a similar price. Plus, you get the Costco guarantee, unlike Ebay!

I want a GPS unit (newbie here) and I'm debating between this unit (great price) and a standalone hiking unit. I'd like to have both, one for the truck (streets and topo) and one for hiking, but that is not in the budget right now.

I hope to hear from y'all's experiences soon.

chet

island Explorer
I have a question as well. Can you take a 2 GB SD card and have both maps and music on one? Would be nice also if it read bigger cards not sure if it does.

computeruser

Explorer
Well, I bought one on eBay the other day and it arrived yesterday. Talk about an intuitive little unit - I unboxed it, stuck it to the windshield, plugged it in, and in less than a minute was on my way with turn-by-turn directions to my destination. I put probably 200 miles on last night driving to and around Detroit before returning home, and it was 100% on for that use. I will try to get out to play around with its ability to handle navigating forest roads this coming weekend, if time allows. For the $240 I paid, I am quite content.

LawBlazer: If hiking use is anticipated, you will end up wanting two GPS units, unless you use something like a Garmin GPSMAP60CSX and can tolerate the smaller screen for car use. The car-specific units are bigger than necessary for hiking, don't fit neatly in most pockets, and in the case of the Crossover are not fully waterproof. Even though their technology is a bit older, I've been really happy with the Magellan Explorist series for hiking because it fits so nicely in my hand, is fully waterproof, and is very compact. I've been using one for a few years for hiking, bicycling, and geocaching, and would without question recommend one to someone for those sorts of uses.

IntrepidXJ

Explorer
computeruser said:
LawBlazer: If hiking use is anticipated, you will end up wanting two GPS units, unless you use something like a Garmin GPSMAP60CSX and can tolerate the smaller screen for car use. The car-specific units are bigger than necessary for hiking, don't fit neatly in most pockets, and in the case of the Crossover are not fully waterproof. Even though their technology is a bit older, I've been really happy with the Magellan Explorist series for hiking because it fits so nicely in my hand, is fully waterproof, and is very compact. I've been using one for a few years for hiking, bicycling, and geocaching, and would without question recommend one to someone for those sorts of uses.

I use my CrossoverGPS for both hiking and geocaching and it actually works well. I have no need for a 2nd GPS unit. The Crossover is waterproof to IPX-4. It may not be quite as small as a handheld unit, but I always wear cargo pants, and it fits nicely in the side pocket when I am not carrying it. Sure, it may not be everyone's cup of tea, but it can work well as a handheld unit as well :)

LexusAllTerrain

Expedition Leader
Well my GPS arrived yesterday, i played with it today early in the morning, I charged batteries last night for 3 hours and it works great!

I also mentions to go to their magellan website and get a free download I do not know if I need it but will check later on!

Today early in the morning I put my adress as my main point went to my park to do my usual jogging walking program and it followed my park very well!

As I was returning home I pressed the take me back botton and it worked great, I took a different route and it guided me back very quick, plenty of time to turn nice daytime view.

I will put it to it's test on the backroads and some trails next week and will report back, also I am planning in ordering the Mexico Topo and will report back as soon as I get it and have a chance to go to Mexico and explore!

So far I am happy with this purchase!:arabia:

LawBlazer

Thanks for the reviews guys! The Crossover sounds like a nice unit.

I decided a handheld was probably a better unit for me since I'm primarily going to use it on river fishing float trips and hiking trips to determine my location and distance b/t put-ins and take outs. We don't have endless dirt roads here in GA. :( I also plan to use it to scout new river access roads that may or may not be on the maps I use. I'm sure the Crossover would've been capable, but it may not be the best unit for me. Space is always a concern in kayaks and battery life is another concern for those 2-3 day floats.

Now, it would be nice to be able to use a unit while driving. Here I go talking myself back into the Crossover. I guess I can always hook my laptop to my handheld when taking road trips. I can't leave a laptop in my truck at trailheads or river access points around here since there is a good likelihood of it being stolen.

The Crossover is so seductive due to its basic road/topo package couple with its price point. That's why it originally appealed to me.

Last edited:

ExpoMike

Well, I got mine in the mail last week and have been playing with is some. First thing I did was the turn by turn mapping. As with most GPS routing systems, it wants to use more of the main roads versus side streets, which knowing the area, have less traffic and in turn are quicker. Even with this, it auto routes VERY quickly. I took my way to a major road and it would auto route my new route without any problems. Very cool.

Today I took it out to the desert for some outdoor use. It creates breadcrum tracks very well and great for back tracking your route. I can quickly create way points with lat/long settings and sure enough, find were I want to go. You can scroll the screen to view the area around you and can zoom in or out. Being touch driven, it is very easy to put in address, lat/long info, change menus, etc.

I have been very surprised by the sat tracking as it gets sat info even inside my house. I was amazed. So far I am very, very happy with this unit. I am sure I have not scratched the surface of what it can do but with as easy as it is to learn, it should not take long. Next thing is Geocaching.

I guess I will find out how good their servcie is as the supplied DC car adapter doesn't seem to work. Other thing is that I could not download the latest update as when you click the download button, it just takes you back to the main selection menu. Not too surprising as most of the complaints seemed to be with the web site. It is still one of the best things I have spent money on in a long time. Glad ExPo had some good info and pointed me to this instead of a Garman 60CSx. Played briefly with one and did not like it nearly as much.

Two thumbs up for the Crossover. :jumping:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger