Maggolina on Trailer & Dust

Howard70

Adventurer
Hello:

We've used a roof-mounted Maggiolina on our Tacoma for several years. We're now considering mounting it on our M416 to get the weight lower & reduce air resistance at highway speeds.

One anticipated drawback to a trailer mount is dust. Anyone with a trailer mounted Maggiolina have experience with a hundred miles or so of dry dirt roads? I'm concerned that the clamshell closure of the Maggolina would allow a lot of dust to enter. My experience with the M416 on long trips across dusty roads is that dust gets into everything except well sealed containers. So I'd like to hear from those that have carried Maggiolinas on trailers.

Thanks in advance,

Howard

SAR Jeepster

Observer
We have had our Top Line Maggiolina mounted on 2 different trailers with many thousands of miles and get very little if any dust on the out side only. I drive crossed and around the Black Rock Desert several times a year the dust cloud behind the Jeep is so thick I can’t even see the trailer behind me and it is still clean when we open it for camp.

picture.php

picture.php

geeze

We have had our Top Line Maggiolina mounted on 2 different trailers with many thousands of miles and get very little if any dust on the out side only. I drive crossed and around the Black Rock Desert several times a year the dust cloud behind the Jeep is so thick I can’t even see the trailer behind me and it is still clean when we open it for camp.

picture.php

picture.php

Sweet commando

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
I have used a Maggiolina on a trailer and it was dust proof. The upper shell has a gasket seal that engages to top of the bottom platform and seals very well - provided you pay attention to adjustment of the draw latches.

FWIW, I sell these things, so take that into consideration.

M

kcfunke

I have a Maggiolina mounted on our trailer and we have never had a problem with dust getting into it when traveling on dusty roads.

Life_in_4Lo

Explorer
a friend of mine has a Columbus on the roof and has a problem with lots of dust getting in.
Seems the dust sucks up into the clamshell gap. This happens at the front and rear.

Howard70

Adventurer
Thanks!

Hey All:

Thanks for quick reponses - just the sort of information I was looking for.

Mike S. - the gasket on our Maggiolina doesn't seem to close well - probably an effect of several thousand miles on top of the Tacoma. Do you sell replacement gaskets and are they easy to install?

Thanks again everyone,

Howard

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78