Mahindra 4x4 pickup

haven

Expedition Leader
setup for expedition travel

The 7.5 foot bed length and 2200 lb cargo capacity of the Mahindra would work with larger Four Wheel Camper models like the Grandby and Ranger. That would get you on the road with a 30 mpg diesel powered 4x4 with decent rough road capability and an expedition-proven low-profile camper for about $45,000.

Not bad for new equipment at today's prices.

Chip Haven

CA-RJ

Expo Approved™
The pricing for a Tacoma Regular Cab 4x4 is more like $20k, which is more in line with the Mahindra. I do think a diesel regular cab 4x4 is really cool though. I'd probably wait a couple of years to see what reliability and parts availability are. I'm probably one of the few here who love regular cab trucks though. The prospective fuel mileage is pretty exciting as well. 21.1 gallons x 35 mph = 738.5 miles a tank! It would cost me $120 to fill my 4Runner twice and it would only go about 600 miles. Even if diesel gets to $4 a gallon it would only cost $84 to fill the tank. I like that kind of savings!

Last edited:

haven

Expedition Leader
diesel hybrid on display

FEV, a USA engineering firm working with Mahindra and Mahindra, has confirmed that a prototype of the Mahindra 4x4 diesel hybrid will make an appearance at the SAE World Congress April 14 in Detroit. The truck, a Scorpio SUV, will be in the FEV booth.

The electric motor produces about 200 lb-ft of torque, so it's capable of propelling the truck for short distances with the diesel motor shut off.

No announcement has been made about the price of the hybrid option, but the CEO of the company that will import the Mahindra said to expect a price around $5000 extra. That will push the price of the vehicle up close to $30,000.

Chip Haven

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Some of these MPG estimates seem wildly optimistic.

My 1985 Toyota 4x4 could get 25mpg on a pretty regular basis. Of course it was:

- 5 speed manual tranny
- Regular cab
- Short Bed
- It did have a shell, but nothing else in the bed
- Very thin, poorly padded bench seat
- No AC
- No airbags
- No IFS (I know this is considered good by some people but not me)
- No power steering!
- Small 15" wheels and tires (not sure of the size, maybe 215/70R15?)

The sheetmetal was thin and it had the carbureted 22r engine which made something like 110hp (I think.) It was pretty slow going up the hills!

Like it or not, people have come to expect a lot more from trucks. Besides the federally mandated stuff like air bags and side impact door beams, people expect all vehicles now to have AC, power steering, comfy seats and to be big enough to haul around our fat American butts. I just don't see how you can get that and still get north of 30mpg, not with a 4wd, anyway. Even with a 2.5l TDI, I wouldn't expect better than 26-29mpg in normal use. And then you have to factor in the extra cost of diesel fuel, which has a price premium of $0.30 to $0.60 per gallon from what I've seen.

If they can do it, power to them. They could start a revolution in the American car industry. But I'm very skeptical.

haven

Expedition Leader
Mahindra SUV

The vehicle shown at the SAE conference was the Scorpio SUV, rather than the pickup. The hybrid is supposed to get better than 30 mpg in the city, the standard pickup around 25 mpg.

The SUV is very similar in dimensions and power to the Land Cruiser 62:

Mahindra Scorpio Toyota Land Cruiser 62

wheelbase 106 108
width 72 71
length 177 184
height 78 69

GVWR 5754 ??
curb weight 4487
turning circle 37 41

engine 2.2L diesel 4.0L I6 gas
hp 140 155
ft lb 275 220

tires P 235/70 R 16 P 225/75 R 15

CA-RJ

Expo Approved™
Really, only 25 mpg for the truck? That's dissapointing! It doesn't really make it worth the extra cost does it?

CA-RJ

Expo Approved™
Yeah, but the regular cab 4x4 is supposed to start at $25k. I can get a Tacoma for $20k that's supposed to get 21 mpg. $5k more for a truck that only gets 4 mpg better is somewhat iffy to me. I'll still have to drive the Mahinda and see if it's worth $5k more.

Spikepretorius

Explorer
Don't bother with the Mahindra if it's expensive on your side of the pond.
We've had it for years and it's considered a cheapie alternative to other better things.
So if it's not cheap for you guys then forget it.

gary in ohio

Explorer
Spikepretorius said:
Don't bother with the Mahindra if it's expensive on your side of the pond.
We've had it for years and it's considered a cheapie alternative to other better things.
So if it's not cheap for you guys then forget it.

Its just vapor ware right now, still no "assembly plant " in Ohio yet. I had to much hope for the Crosslander and was let down, Until its on a lot and I can touch it, its doesnt exist for our market. I am still not sure how they are going to compete if they are not a budget trucks.You still have a hard sell for a diesel truck. Now most of us know the advantages but Diesel still has a negative image in the US to the masses, its running $.75 to $1 more a gallon right now plus the vehicle is an unknown from some tractor maker (again for the masses). If the MPG is not high enough to offset the fuel cost and the vehicle priced under the current market its going to die. 25mpg and $25K isnt going to sell to the masses and they cant sell enough to people on the board to make the venture worthwhile.

haven

Expedition Leader
comparing Mahindra and Toyota

In an interview with Pickuptruck.com in February, the CEO of Global Vehicles USA, claimed that the payload of the new "Appalachian" pickup will be 2600 lbs. The standard cab model will have a 90 inch long bed, auto trans, 4x4 and limited slip differential. Price is supposed to start around $22,000 for this configuration.

Several magazine articles have reported the 2.2L MHawk diesel engine produces 300 lb-ft of torque. I think this is a mistake. The torque rating of the 2.2L MHawk in other countries is 300 newton meters, or about 225 lb-ft of torque. In comparison, the VW 2.0L TDI diesel produces 236 lb-ft. So I expect a torque figure for the engine in USA trim to be below 250 lb-ft.

The Appalachian's EPA Mileage rating is unknown. The company importing the pickup to USA claims 30 to 35 mpg highway. The Scorpio SUV with the new 2.2L MHawk diesel is rated at 32 mpg highway in Europe. I expect an EPA rating closer to 25 mpg overall, maybe 28 mpg highway.

Even with these diminished expectations in the power and mileage departments, I think the Mahindra will be cheaper to buy and to operate than similar 4x4 trucks. The Mahindra will also have a longer bed, greater payload and longer warranty (save for Dodge's lifetime powertrain warranty).

Compare this to the Tacoma, which has a payload of 1485 lbs and bed length of 73.5 inches. A stripped Tacoma 4x4 standard cab with 4 cylinder engine and 5 speed costs about $20,000. A Tacoma equipped like the Mahindra, with V6, auto trans and limited slip differential costs $27,000. The V6 is rated at 266 lb-ft of torque and 20 mpg on the highway.

A stripped Tundra regular cab long bed with 4.7L V8, auto trans, 4x4 and limited slip differential costs about $28,500, but probably could be found with deep discounts today. Bed length is 97.6 inches and payload is 1780 lbs. The engine produces 313 lb-ft of torque and is rated at 16 mpg highway.

Chip Haven

kellymoe

Expedition Leader
My wife and I are looking for a replacement for our 94 Discovery. I am going to wait for the Mahindra to come out before I buy a replacement. We have been looking at the CRV 2 wheel drive but if I can talk my wife into the 4 door pick up truck I would rather do that. Or even the Scorpion. I need something that gets better than 12 mpg. I'll be watching the Mahindra closely.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
I'm really hoping for a nice diesel in a Honda Pilot mini/Cross-Over SUV. If it can get 30+ MPG I would like it to replace my wife's Golf TDI if we like the vehicle.

I'm interested in the Mahindras too, my wife not necessarily.

kellymoe said:
My wife and I are looking for a replacement for our 94 Discovery. I am going to wait for the Mahindra to come out before I buy a replacement. We have been looking at the CRV 2 wheel drive but if I can talk my wife into the 4 door pick up truck I would rather do that. Or even the Scorpion. I need something that gets better than 12 mpg. I'll be watching the Mahindra closely.

kellymoe

Expedition Leader
Redline said:
I'm really hoping for a nice diesel in a Honda Pilot mini/Cross-Over SUV. If it can get 30+ MPG I would like it to replace my wife's Golf TDI if we like the vehicle.

I'm interested in the Mahindras too, my wife not necessarily.

We have a Pilot now and it is a great car. The MPG sucks around town but redeems itself on the hwy. It's also great in the snow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior