Mains-capable ACDCDC charger?

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
Is there a DCDC charger that also takes mains 120/240VAC as optional input to keep BOTH/all batteries intelligently charged whilst on shore?

This may be super obvious, and I must be missing something? I'm not reading in any of the more advanced DCDC charger systems that support this? Is my search mojo not working?

Dave in AZ

Never seen one discussed. I have read through all the Redarc dcdc options (their bcdc line), Renogy too.

I think it's kind of in the name... dc to dc. You're asking an inexpensive tool designed for 1 thing, to do 4 others too... if it existed it would be $$$$$ and work poorly on one or the other. Dc to dc are designed to flow
from alternator/starter battery, to house battery, and isolate the two when alternator isn't running, so your start battery isn't drained. Asking it to also be an ac charger for 2 separate probably dissimilar batteries, an AC to DC convertor, and to stop isolating... like asking for a motorcycle that is also an RV, but can also be a boat ;) maybe someone built one, but would you want to pay for it? Seems much cheaper, more reliable, more fault tolerant, and easier to repair, if you just buy the small purpose built circuit packages already made to do each specific job.

For AC charging, you have 3 widely different needs:
1. 120v Shore power, high amp pass through to run stuff directly. AC appliances direct.
2. Car lead acid or AGM starter battery, only needs a trickle charge, needs to be from charger that can autosense chemistry and auto deliver optimum charge profile, not overcharge... Noco genius line perfect.
3. 120v charge of house battery. Needs way higher amps than starter battery trickle, some Lithium can do 1400 to 2000 watts input! Needs to autosense battery chemistry for proper voltage profile charging, or be purpose built for that battery. Needs to have high power for rapid charge, and also allow slower charging to extend battery life when desired. The AC charger pack that comes with your power ststion, or specced for your battery, can do this.

So really, you need two small and inexpensive items: a $30 to $50 genius 1 or 2 for starter, and an AC to DC battery charger.

All that may be obvious to you, can't tell your level of knowledge from your post, hope it helps. If not you, then some other reader ;)

Pskhaat

All that may be obvious to you, can't tell your level of knowledge from your post, hope it helps. If not you, then some other reader ;)

The discreet solution is obvious, but really wanted an all-in-one. I hear you that for some truly deep and wide house batteries, the bulk charge could be high wattage/amperage, but I was thinking of an intelligent/IC 40-60A (120/240) mains integration.

I don't really need AC/mains equipment whilst on shore power, but often may be parked for long times with battery drain, and even during longer tours, it is really nice to just find a mains outlet and top off for a few hours. A product that kinda does this is the "Jackery"-style power stations which supports charging direct from DC (with its own DC² IC) or/and mains AC. Frankly, those systems are geared much more towards folks wanting to employ AC equipment, where I am more interested in DC equipment.

Dave in AZ

The discreet solution is obvious, but really wanted an all-in-one. I hear you that for some truly deep and wide house batteries, the bulk charge could be high wattage/amperage, but I was thinking of an intelligent/IC 40-60A (120/240) mains integration.

I don't really need AC/mains equipment whilst on shore power, but often may be parked for long times with battery drain, and even during longer tours, it is really nice to just find a mains outlet and top off for a few hours. A product that kinda does this is the "Jackery"-style power stations which supports charging direct from DC (with its own DC² IC) or/and mains AC. Frankly, those systems are geared much more towards folks wanting to employ AC equipment, where I am more interested in DC equipment.
I actually had a few paragraphs I deleted on solar power stations, as I didn't want to over share. However... my best "all in one" solution for your description IS a power station like a Jackery, though I wouldn't ever buy one of those-- much better specs, battery chemistry, and prices from other vendors. But the power stations DO have all those discrete parts all packaged in one unit, talking to each other.
-- I like >=2000 watt-hrs storage, >= 2400 watts AC pure sine invertor, > 700w solar, large solar input dc voltage range like 11 to 100, and most importantly A DC 30A OUTPUT! This lets you plug the DC output to a dc fuseblock in your camper with all your small stuff.

So:
Shore power, plug it into your say Bluetti ac200max. Plug camper dc fuseblock into the 30a dc output. Plug an inline noco start-battery charger, like noco genius 1 or 2, into Bluetti AC plug. Plug bluetti dc input into dc cigarette lighter on car.

Shore power now charges all batteries correctly. All ac stuff gets pass thru power directly from shore, if you plug into bluetti. All dc stuff gets powered from shore via bluetti. Bluetti gets charged from car alternator while driving at 120w or so, plus any solar you have. My car has a 400w ac outlet in pickup bed that I can plug bluetti into while driving, and charge it at 400w via ac, plus 120w via dc ( though I probably wouldn't without alternator upgrade). No other isolator or dcdc system required, all functions covered.

Wouldn't that do pretty much what you're after? Only thing extra to buy is a $30 noco2.

Pskhaat

Interesting as to simply pull from a power station AC for starting battery maintainer.

Tesota Overland

Is there a DCDC charger that also takes mains 120/240VAC as optional input to keep BOTH/all batteries intelligently charged whilst on shore?

This may be super obvious, and I must be missing something? I'm not reading in any of the more advanced DCDC charger systems that support this? Is my search mojo not working?

Redarc Manager30 supports this. I'm not aware of another unit that integrates 3 chargers - solar, alternator and shore.

Cummins_expo

Adventurer
Save this product- ( Kisae UC1240 charger new release) I have used their other products for years, Somebody in a chat group saw the demo of this unit at CES. Essentially an improvement on the AC1240 . It allows you to prioritize shore power to charge house and starter batteries. I have been trying to find more details. Sorry this isnt more informative at the moment =, I have sent an email to my rep to see if he has any literature

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
As others have said, Kind of the red arc manager 30.

But, if one part fails the entire system goes down. And you are capped at that 30 amps, regardless. So even if you had a large solar bank that could put out 30 amps, and were driving and could get 30amps you would still be limited to the 30amps regardless of incoming power.

DC/DC- is just DC-DC.

There are also of course inverter/chargers like Victron, AIMS, etc.
The high end victron units have pass-through and hybrid power, and you can program in the incoming voltage. And easily switch it. ( For Ac power)

I would recommend different chargers. DC/DC, Solar, and Shore. Redundancy and added charge capacity based on the system design size.
However, you would be money ahead, to just use three

DC/DC, Solar mppt, and then a trickle charger, or just use a converter/charger. Especially if you don’t have need for any AC loads.

Cummins_expo

Adventurer
All in one systems do not necessarily go down if one function isn't operating properly. That feature may no longer function but the other features still operate. Space would be the number one reason for an all in one system, or if end used wants to simplify installation and ability to set up a simple remote screen to see what going on. This statement may not apply to all brands.

Pacific Northwest yetti

Expedition Medic
All in one systems do not necessarily go down if one function isn't operating properly. That feature may no longer function but the other features still operate. Space would be the number one reason for an all in one system, or if end used wants to simplify installation and ability to set up a simple remote screen to see what going on. This statement may not apply to all brands.
Depending on how its designed, true. Its accurate for RedArc. All the incoming power, is routed through one internal charger. Most All in ones, I have dealt with are like that. But I can’t speak for all on the market.

From a design standpoint, that’s how the keep the units small.

peekay

Adventurer

Maybe an RC car/airplane battery charger. I have several that take 110v or 12v input, and output in Lipo/NiCad/Nimh/Lead acid/etc, so depending on what your battery type is, it should work. For example, charger. Mine looks similar to that one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior