Maintenance Costs (BMW)

RunninRubicon

Adventurer
Adventure bikes

If you read magazines or watch you-tube video, or even hang around people who ride motorcycles, you will always hear someone commenting on how their bike is better then that guys. It's like the FORD vs CHEVY group discussions. Find someone who owns a BMW especially a GS or even better, a GS Adventure. Ask for a ride! KTM too! The point is the internet makes maintence of these machines easier. BMW is well documented on you-tube and CDs are available for just about every aspect of repair or maintence. All machines are man made and thus will fail. If you do good maintence, most any machine (bike) will treat you right. Suzuki Storm, Kaw's Versys, Yamaha Tenare are all worth looking into. Wear good protective gear-boots, helmet, gloves, jacket and pants. You'll be suprised were the road takes you. I often tell myself, I will only get out of life what I put into it. So what your life worth? Worth getting off the couch and riding a bike for? Heck, walking to your frig for your next beer will cost you something! I spent as much on my 4-wheel vehicle in maintence as I do on my bike, and I ride my bike 9 months a year!

The Raven

My 1981 r80g/s bmw is better than any fancy modern bike ;)

But seriously get what makes you happy. Motorcycles have a great source of support, BMW not withstanding. They do run forever and they are reliable. Why do I run a 1981 bike and not a newer one? I want something simple, something light and something reliable. The R80G/S is the ONLY bike that has ever crossed the Darian gap unassisted. I have read about it being driven hundred of miles with a jug slapping against the case as the studs got damaged in a get off. I have heard about them being driven off a cliff, then disassembled to being it back UP the cliff, reassembled and driven away.
BUT I am probably never going to to do those things and am a posur in a sense like running a snorkle and never going in more than a foot of water. I want it because it CAN run when needed, CAN be fixed with a hammer and most importantly can be kept running for pennies. The newer bikes cannot meet those requirements and for that I stick with the older bikes. I like BMWs because I like the engine design, no other reason for the marque. I would like a Harley just for the history and comradreie. Yes, that is right. Been riding long enough to know and accept that.

diesel toyota

Observer
Older is better

I just picked up a 1995 BMW R100 GS with 20k miles. Have a 1996 Ducati 900 SS/SP as well with 24k miles.
Older, simpler, less electrics, not water cooled, the Beemer has a mechanical rear brake, clutch has a cable no fluid, carbs & no injection, perfect for my travels! Besides, with everyone wanting a newer this, and latest that, I find great deals on older bikes while the sellers go back in debt for their newest toy...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    530.1 KB · Views: 4

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78