Maintenance Snaggs??? Help? Need your thoughts....

loremordred

Observer
It's been a while forum.... I've missed you guys.

So I have just buttoned up my 04 Monty.... and I have a problem. Won't start - turns over, but seems to not get any fuel for spark.... It can spark with starter fluid, but once it runs out of fumes, it dies. Any ideas? Maybe the vacum lines are backwards? Is there a fuse that could be blown? spark plugs?

What I did.... I changed the Gaskets on the passenger side Rocker cover/Cam (where the oil leaks), took off the Intake plenum and cleaned it out, cleaned the throttle body, replaced the spark plugs and wires.

The driver side spark plugs when removing them were full of oil.... I don't know if this is supposed to be that way, the passenger side wasn't. I wanted to replace the gasket on the driver side, but time is pressing and I will have to do it later.

After that I tried to do the timing belt, but after taking off all the accessories and the serpentine belt, I could not get the cover plate (Accessory mount) off.... According to the diagram, I had to remove the power steering pump bracket.... but this was impossible... there was no space to remove the bolt or get to the second bolt... I could not see any other means of removing the bracket, or the ac/power steering pumps to get out of the way. The bolt would hit the steering wheel shaft...

I mean, I had all the main bolts out, and the mount would move and wiggle and even shift... but the one bracket wouldn't budge enough to remove it.

So I gave up trying to get the plate off to do the timing belt, and put it all back on, and will do it later or take it to a dealer... if I ever have money.

So once again...

1. The engine wont start, it will crank, but wont ignite. Will ignite with starter fluid, but wont stay on.
2. Now that I reconnected everything and hooked up the battery, my door lights wont come on.... wondering if a fuse blew or its a timing/calibration issue. (may have had a spark jump from the alternator, i forgot I left the battery connected).

It's been about 3 days I've been working on this, I'm tired and can't think straight. So any ideas are welcomed greatly.:confused::confused::(

PacS14

Adventurer
Check for loose connections. You might have plugged everything back just not all the way. Look at the MAF connector, that is usually the most commonly left unplugged most of the times, but even then check ever single connector you unplugged.

loremordred

Observer
Have you checked fuel pressure?

I don't have a tool to check the fuel pressure.... any DIY ideas?

I'm going to be checking all the connections, vacuum lines today, hoping its just a loose connection or open hose.

Would someone here with a 3.8l take a picture of their engine bay? So I can follow their vacuum and fuel lines

Salonika

Monterror Pilot
Does the 04 have a Schrader valve on the high pressure side of fuel system? You'll need a gauge from someone to check it out. You could also wrap a rag around it and press it a little with a small screwdriver to see if it spits under pressure ( like a bike tire except gas will spray out). Cover it good or you'll get gas everywhere including in your face, and just barely press it). That will at least tell you if you are getting some fuel up, because if as you say she only sputters with starting fluid, that makes me think fuel delivery issue. Unless unhappy computer prevents injectors from firing........have a fire extinguisher handy when messing with fuel lines.

loremordred

Observer
Thanks Salonika...

I haven't seen any shrader valves but I will look.

I think I found the culprit.

When I first started it, there was a plum of smoke that came from the engine bay but couldn't find anywhere it came from directly. I suspect it was the oil that leaked through the spark plug ports that got into the fuel lines when trying to start. As I took off some of the lines to check, going into the header where the spark plugs were and the lines going into the plenum, there was gunk/Oil residue and grime in them.... so I am assuming a clog.

Using an air nozle to clean out the lines and taking off the other Rocker Header/Cam cover to replace the gasket and grommets for the sparkplugs/orings.

Does anyone know the best way to remove these silicon Gaskets from the Rocker Header? They are baked onto it. The other one I had to use a screw driver, dremmel, at one point using a torch to heat the unit and soften the silicone..... and even used butane to freeze it and chip it out... which worked, but used up all my butane. scratched up the metal a bit, which I know shouldn't happen. So any ideas how to soften and or remove a stuck gasket?

DirtyDC05

Adventurer
You shouldn't have touched anything fuel related from what you are describing. You most likely forgot to plug in a sensor or possibly mixed up the plug wires?

loremordred

Observer
So... After a lot of run around I found the issue. A blown 120A fuse that wouldn't power the fuel pump or something. After taking apart the plenum and valve covers twice, rewiring and following all the connections.... it was a simple fuse.

Well, my skill level at disassembling a Monty has gone up. And my confidence too. It now purrs like a kitten and idles smoothly.

To DO: Timing Belt, Freewheel Engage Switch, Suspension.

Thank you all for helping and giving ideas. It really helped me to figure this out.

Salonika

Monterror Pilot
Bam! Fuel delivery. Ever find that schrader valve port? The gen 2.5's didn't have them, no idea why as my 94 Saturn does. Do the gen 3's have the jumper under the hood to jog the fuel pump? Do they have the access hole in the cargo area?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dgollman