Major diferance between 4 runner and GX470?

What are the major diferances between the 4 Runner and the Lexus GX 470? Will the after market mods fit? Lift kits, bumpers and such.

Vermejo

Adventurer
All the body angles are different, the GX is taller etc. The ride height adjust in the rear limits any aftermarket short of some serious fab work. The bumpers, both front and rear have different dimensions for mounting points.

Try this article to start.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
What are the major diferances between the 4 Runner and the Lexus GX 470? Will the after market mods fit? Lift kits, bumpers and such.

Overseas the 4Runner is marketed as the Surf or Fortuner, the Lexus GX470 is also known as the Toyota Land Cruiser Prado - COMPLETELY different vehicles.

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
Overseas the 4Runner is marketed as the Surf or Fortuner, the Lexus GX470 is also known as the Toyota Land Cruiser Prado - COMPLETELY different vehicles.

Actually, the frame, engine and transmission exactly the same...the only difference is the body and suspension options. check toyota120.com for me details discussed at length there.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
This may or may not have anything to do with the proposed application, BUT . . .

One of the biggest practical differences is the way the rear hatches works. Opinions will vary, but I find the single rear-opening door on the GX to be a huge design blunder. I thought about buying one, but when parked in the normal location in my bigger-than-normal garage stall, I could not open the rear door with the garage door closed. I also thought it was a pain to have to be walking around four feet of door when loading and unloading. And I know from talking with salespeople that I'm not the only potential buyer who crossed the GX off the list because of the door configuration.

I had an Isuzu Trooper with the two-thirds/one-third door split and thought it borderline tolerable. But the GX is wider overall, the door is heavier and, with no split, it seemed tremendously awkward and in the way. It'd be a 4Runner for me just for that reason.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
This may or may not have anything to do with the proposed application, BUT . . .

One of the biggest practical differences is the way the rear hatches works. Opinions will vary, but I find the single rear-opening door on the GX to be a huge design blunder. I thought about buying one, but when parked in the normal location in my bigger-than-normal garage stall, I could not open the rear door with the garage door closed. I also thought it was a pain to have to be walking around four feet of door when loading and unloading. And I know from talking with salespeople that I'm not the only potential buyer who crossed the GX off the list because of the door configuration.

I had an Isuzu Trooper with the two-thirds/one-third door split and thought it borderline tolerable. But the GX is wider overall, the door is heavier and, with no split, it seemed tremendously awkward and in the way. It'd be a 4Runner for me just for that reason.

Doesn't the GX have a single lift gate like the 4runner? Now, the Prado (world market version of the GX) has a side-opening door but AFAIK the GX470 does not. In fact, it's the biggest external difference between the GX 470 and the Prado: The Prado has the side opening door with the spare tire mounted on it, while the GX has the liftgate with the spare underneath the rear portion of the body.

The biggest problem with the side-opening door (which my wife's Suzuki GV has as well) is that it opens the "wrong" way: That is, since almost all of them are made in countries that drive on the left side of the road, the hinge is mounted on the right, i.e. the "street" side so that the door opens to the curb i.e. left side. Of course, in the US that means the door opens to the street side, not the curb side! Only the FJ Cruiser, to my knowledge, has a swing-out door that opens the "right" way for countries that drive on the right side of the road.

EDITED TO ADD: My mistake, :eek: I just checked the photos on Edmunds, the door does indeed open to the side (and like most other side opening doors, it opens the "wrong" way.)

Seems strange they wouldn't mount the spare there in that case. I know some people find them ugly but there are some great reasons for mounting the spare on the back door on those vehicles where it can be done.

Last edited:

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Actually, the frame, engine and transmission exactly the same...the only difference is the body and suspension options. check toyota120.com for me details discussed at length there.

So you're saying the frame on the Prado and the 4Runner are the same?

TexGX

Explorer
I can confirm that the 4R and GX have the same frame and engine. The only major differences is the interior and the rear door. The GX can be had with the KDSS option that the 4R does not. I am not a huge fan of the swing gate rear door, but my short wife loves it. I have grown to tolerate it. Most aftermarket products will work on the GX with minor modification. I am hoping that with more used GX's hitting the market, we will see an increase of aftermarket parts. I have found a local fabricator that can make most everything I want. If you are buying one just for an off-road truck, then get the 4R.

TexGX

teotwaki

Excelsior!

Well, only if you get the V8 and full time 4WD will the drivetrain be about the same.

The 4Runner V6 lets you select 2WD.

The Lexus has the cool front swaybar disconnect but may not have a locker in ther rear.

My lifted 4Runner is not as tall (in the body height) as a stock GX.

There is a lot more but I'm too tired to think right now.....

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Is the disconnect in the endlinks or the bar its self like on the Jeep Wrangler?

Google is your friend...

from Toyota120.com

KDSS1_small.jpg

http://www.toyota120.com/html/lexus_gx470.html

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Much better to buy a V8 4Runner for a lot less dough ($12,000) and spend that money on sliders, bumpers, skids, fridge and so on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears