malibubts's 2015 Ram 1500 CCSB Build

malibubts

Adventurer
I knew the next step for the setup was to drop the cooler and ice. Even with ice packs and a rotomolded cooler, they sure can be a pain.

For a bit I thought about DIYing a battery system since I don't really need AC power but after looking into component pricing and sizing it seemed like the 'solar generator' was the best route to go. I went with the OUKITEL CN505 since it was LiFePO4, around 600Wh, and decently priced. On the Fridge route I went the Amazon/Knock Off route with a 45L Euhomy unit, hopefully it holds up well but worst case I upgrade to a more 'respected' brand.

I also made some small changes to the water system. I did like my Reliance Aquatainer for the most part, however the thickness of the plastic started to worry me a bit so I picked up a standard Scepter water container as it was a bit tougher. I found a great video as well on YouTube of someone using a rechargeable pump meant for the office water coolers and picked one up. It's been awesome to have easy 'running' water that's dead simple.

A few tie down straps and some anchors on the Decked and everything was mounted!

IMG_3637
by ebeiersdorfer, on Flickr

malibubts

Adventurer
About a month ago we met some friends up near the Nordhouse Dunes area in Michigan. They've since moved to Chicago and it was a good meetup spot.

We split the drive up a bit there on the way and camped along the way at Brush Lake.

DSC09869

IMG_3920

We then made our way to camp at the Lake Michigan Recreation Area and hiked around the beach a bit before setting up camp.

IMG_3924

The next day we set in for a long hike around Ludington State Park. We looped up a couple of trails to hike along a peninsula, through some dunes, and by a light house all in the same hike.

DSC09925

DSC09934-Pano

DSC09961

DSC09997

The weather was a bit iffy but overall it was a great trip!

malibubts

Adventurer
We went back to Zaleski State Forest again a couple of weeks ago. I missed several cool things the first time around from being new and not super experienced with Gaia / maps, but it's cool to see your skills improving in real time. We met some friends again so we stayed at Lake Hope State Park for some amenities.

I put together a loop and we stopped back at the Moonville Tunnel first.

IMG_4111

IMG_4104

From there we headed off to the Hunter's Camp / Atkinson Ridge Fire Tower. I partly wanted to check out the camp site here that's open during hunting season as it's right next to a Grouse management area, it's Ohio so it probably won't produce much but I'd like to get back in the fall to hunt it. Turns out it was also the ARRL field day so we saw a crew of guys gearing up for the day as well.

IMG_4128

IMG_4133

This sign was by the base of the fire tower, cool to see some education in the ways of forest management with cutting and fire. This board probably won't do much on it's own, but I guess the more info the better.

IMG_4130-Pano

Lookout rock was the next stop with some cool views of the area.

IMG_4156

IMG_4146

IMG_4162

Along the same line as Moonville Tunnel is the lesser known Kings Hollow Tunnel. This is much more 'remote' as it's just a pull off rather than the parking lot leading to the hikes for each like at Moonville. I actually think this is a much cooler tunnel, but I guess it doesn't have the lore making it as popular.

IMG_4187

IMG_4172

We then closed out the loop with a hike at Olds Hollow Cave.

IMG_4199

IMG_4202

On Sunday the way north passed by Tinkers Cave and the Shawnee Fire Tower so I wanted to stop by and check it out. Unfortunately the fire tower had the bottom steps removed and I didn't feel like venturing up the side of the tower. Tinkers Cave was also a bit underwhelming, but I'm still glad we made the stop.

IMG_4226

IMG_4229

malibubts

Adventurer
Unfortunately this will be the last update in the build for my 2015 1500 EcoDeisel as I traded it in this past weekend on a 2022 2500 Power Wagon.

Over the past couple of years I've had a lot of emissions related issues and had a number of related parts replaced: EGR, DEF Injector, DEF Tank, at least a half dozen sensors. Each time was the same story, take the truck in and the sensor will fix the issue. But the sensor was back ordered a few weeks. Finally the sensor would come in, the sensor replaced, but then I'd get a code again within a few days. Back to the dealer and again waiting on replacement parts for a few weeks to finally fix that specific issue. Sometimes the truck would be operable and sometimes not. One of the DEF issues almost left me stranded ~750 miles from home since if the truck turned off it wouldn't turn back on.

I had actually been seeing a bit of reliability recently, but then a few weeks ago my regens started occurring every 25 miles on the highway, down from around an average of 250. Seeing as I wasn't going to keep the truck past the extended emissions warranty anyways, if I was able to find a deal I was going to move on. I luckily found a dealer that wasn't asking a crazy number and put the deal together.

For continued updates, and honestly a bit of a continuation of this build since a lot is being moved over, check out malibubts's 2022 Ram Power Wagon Build/Adventure Thread!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior