malibubts's 2022 Ram Power Wagon Build/Adventure Thread

malibubts

Adventurer
Most 35" tires are actually 34.5" and will fit right in the spare tire holder on a 2500 RAM.
Yup, pretty much my driving factor in going 35s vs 37s. Don't want to run without a spare and don't want to hang a 37' spare somewhere off the truck. I've seen it take some folks a little work (deflation, heat shield bending, etc) but it should fit as you say.

In other news, got the tires ordered from Tire Rack, just need them to arrive and be installed. I got a bunch of run around from a few local places due to either availability or not wanting to put non-OEM sizes on the truck.

malibubts

Adventurer
I ran into a bit of trouble finding the Falkens in stock and a tire shop that was willing to install non-OEM sized tires, so I eventually just ordered from Tire Rack and used a local mobile installer. Granted it's been a couple of years and we have all of the supply chain issues, but I did not have nearly this much trouble getting larger tires on my 1500. At the end of the day though, the new tires are installed so I'm happy!

35x12.5 R17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W vs the stock 285/70 R17 Wrangler Duratracs:

IMG_4545
by ebeiersdorfer, on Flickr

On the truck, looks much more size appropriate, though I wish it were less logistically challenging to run 37s:

DSC00181

DSC00185

I had the spare tire replaced with a size matching one, though this was a bit tough to get back into place it did fit. I ended up having to air the tire down pretty much all of the way and give it some force, but I got it in there.

And given the theme of small challenges with the new tires, I also had some issues with my ProCal Snap. Even though it was reporting the tires as set to the new size the speedometer was not matching my GPS reading. I tried resetting the settings a number of times and couldn't get it working. As a last ditch effort I tried changing the tire size to something else, then back again and it worked. Not sure what the issue was there, but changing the sizes like that got the speedometer accurate.

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
She looks good my friend. Yeah after 2017 and 100,000 miles on my 2015 ram eco-diesel I kept getting limp mode and all sorts of issues. I love the way that truck drove I love the way that truck had power but I just couldn’t deal with the unreliable Ness of it I completely understand when a truck in love just isn’t reliable

But you’re gonna be super happy with that heavier duty truck and not have to worry about how much stuff you’re hauling always have play power on tap it’s still a very comfortable ride!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

malibubts

Adventurer
The OEM side steps had to go since they hung down too low, I knew eventually they would cause some problems off road. If I were ordering the truck I wouldn't have added them on, but the dealer did this on all their trucks. As far as unwanted options go though $400 for some side steps isn't a big deal, especially considering the market and being able to get Tread Lightly pricing.

At first the plan had really been White Knuckle Sliders, always see the great reviews of them and they are built like a tank. However there's no denying they do cost a bit, and also eat into the already limited payload of the Power Wagon. Looking around on some other forums, Ram actually has their own 'sliders' that first came on the 75th Anniversary Edition trucks, and may still be an option I'm not entirely sure. A lot of people also seem to take them off for one reason or another (not good enough steps, went WKOR, etc). With that you can fairly easily find a pair for sale and usually at a pretty competitive price.

I was able to pickup a pair shipped at $375 and sell my OEM side steps for $225. For $150 it was definitely worth the upgrade. The Ram 'sliders' for sure aren't going to be as tough, but will still provide a good amount of protection, weigh less, and cost less. Not to mention the WKRO in reality are probably a little overbuilt for me anyways since I don't really do any hard core rock crawling or anything.

Cleaning them up a bit:

DSC00188

On the truck:

DSC00196

DSC00213

malibubts

Adventurer
The ram sliders took good. Just ordered a 2500 without steps. These might fit the bill

Yeah and with the two tone on the Power Wagon they almost disappear into the truck. Would still look great though on something without the two tone! Wish the treads were a bit wider, but all in all if you can find a pair at a good price they are solid.

jadmt

ignore button user
My wife needs a good step. How is this working? we are seniors
I have been using them for the last 2 years. I am 5'9" 64yoa and my wife is 5'2" 60yoa and they work great. after a few months I asked my wife if she wanted me to go back to the oem steps and she said nope she was fine with the 75a steps. they are tougher than people think or give them credit for. I have used them as actual sliders in Moab and they held up.

malibubts

Adventurer
My wife needs a good step. How is this working? we are seniors
IMO they are just OK as side steps. Wife and I are in the late 20s / early 30s crowd and she isn't the biggest fan of them as compared to the OEM side steps. I'd tend to agree, I don't think they are as good as steps, but I knew those would not fair well over time. The height of them isn't so much as they are a bit 'skinny', if the area where your foot went were a bit wider I think they could correct the issue. That said still happy with the move, they are just more protection with the added benefit of having some step area.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman