Maloppa's Build

Maloppa

Observer
Ya the only thing I didn't replace was the under dash harness and fuse box. After spending day digging through both harnesses I think it would be easier to just replace it with the donor one to. The 4. has 17 pins to the fuse box and the 2.5 only has 15. Must be some differences somewhere. I did jump a hot wire from battery to starter and she fired right up and ran.

Maloppa

Observer
Well build is almost complete. Have to install winch, install new stereo in console and new CB in dash. Pulled my donor dash harness and will find the difference to fix my starter wire problem. Here are some pics to date. I couldn't be any happier for my first motor swap. Runs like a top and actually moves when I push the gas! Look forward to getting it out on the road and meeting some of the folks from the forum. Trailer build is next.

IMG_2396.jpg

IMG_2395.jpg

IMG_2399.jpg

BC Explorer

Adventurer
Hello Maloppa

Long time no talk, I happen to be doing the same swap right now and wonder if you found out the difference with the underdash harness and why it didn"t start.
Any help you can offer would be great and did you change only the engine harness or did you do the chassis harness as well ?

Thanks
Christopher

smbisig

Adventurer
along with BC Explorer's question, any updates on your jeep build as well as the camper project?

steven b~

RunninRubicon

Adventurer
Best Wishes

I really enjoyed my ol' 88. I too started with something not exactly what I thought I wanted. As I began on it, it began it's trance on me. I rebuilt the motor and modified it from Carb to MOPAR EFI I added a GM 700R4 auto that I added a manual valve body to hold the gear I want (great for descents off of hill/rocks), added a 2Lo to the NP231 + the mandated SYE and Tom Woods driveshafts. I think I went through 4 suspension systems before finding the RE extreme duty 4" the best. After lockers and some more self-extraction equip. you should be in good shape. Enjoy.
ps I see you already have roll-cage. Smart man. toss in a CB and a GPS and you'll be running with the big dogs. :coffeedrink:

Maloppa

Observer
Sorry it took me a few days to see the post. No, no update on the under dash issue. I just used a push button start. I pulled the old dash harness and just haven't had the time to try and trace the single wire. I found out that reverse lights are also pinned different. As for the camper build, I have the frame and tub cut and just have to build the tongue. I have been trying to brush up my welding skills before building the tongue. I wish someone lived close, I would love to have some help in the next build phase. I will post some picks as soon as I have something more built. I have decided to use an extra tub I have and build a pickup bed on the back of the camper for storage. We will see how that pans out.

Maloppa

Observer
Hello Maloppa

Long time no talk, I happen to be doing the same swap right now and wonder if you found out the difference with the underdash harness and why it didn"t start.
Any help you can offer would be great and did you change only the engine harness or did you do the chassis harness as well ?

I think the total differences were in pin location. I used the motor harness from the 92, but kept all the other harnesses that were in mine. I even used my harness for front lights. The motor harness out of the 92 also consisted of the tranny and fuel system, all the way to the tank.

Here is a pic of where the camper stands. I think I am going to need some length behind the wheels for balance, so that is why I was thinking of using a tub for balance.

IMG_4573.jpg

BC Explorer

Adventurer
Hello Malloppa

It's Alive !

My YJ is a 1994 (was 4cyl) and the donor was a 1992 (6cyl).
I took everything I thought I might need including the engine harness with ECU, chassis harness and under harness.
Now what I used is just the engine harness and it plugged directly into the square gray plug mounted right under the MAP sensor on the fire wall. Now you are correct that the engine harness does go to the tank and with no plugs in between. I cut the 4cyl fuel one with wire to spare and cut the 6cyl harness and put a plug in and it worked great and the wires all match.
Now I have had no problems so far and the YJ runs awesome. The swap took me about a week (working a bit here and there) and should have done it sooner. I will post up picks soon of the swap.

Maloppa

Observer
Congrats. This is the swap that should be everyone's first attempt. Lets you learn a lot. I wouldn't be near as apprehensive about trying a v8 swap now. Look forward to the pics.

Maloppa

Observer
Stolen

Well my new development is that I must have done an excellent job with the build because some POS decided they needed my Jeep more than me. It was stolen from my work parking deck this morning at about 0830.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smudge12