Man-A-Fre 24 gallon Auxilliary fuel tank

rgsiii

Observer
So far I am happy with the install. It was much easier than we anticipated. The only concern is that the fuel gauge is not functional. The sending unit had to be removed in order to put a magnet into it and possible something happened then. When the fuel in the auxiliary tank drops we will drop the tank and see what happens.

blupaddler

Conspirator
Very nice!!!

You might want to think about upgrading to the 864's sometime soon for the rear. It will help keep things level once you're loaded up with gear. I actually sit a little lower than level when I'm fully loaded.

The price you paid is actually pretty good too. Compared with all the stuff you have to compile to make the tank work.

A quick question...or two...Do you have the make and model number of the transfer pump? Where did you mount the pump?

:sunflower

blupaddler

Conspirator
Oh, here is a picture of my 44 gallon aux tank...compared with your pic from Mud...

Just for comparison
(hope you don't mind)

BTW...NICE RIG!!!

LEFT=Blupaddler RIGHT=rgsiii

Last edited:

rgsiii

Observer
Boston Mangler said:
Nice rig! Congrats on a great mod!! The aux tank is one of my favorite and most useful mods!! I did the same one as Robb and did a full writeup with pics. Might answer some of your questions:

http://www.yankeetoys.org/mangler/auxtank.htm

???? Why is that?

I think the magnet is to pick up metal shavings--don't know for sure.

What type of suspension do you run? I am torn between keeping the current 863's and getting some spacers or going to 864's. The ride is fine now--just don't know how everything will turn out with the vehicle fully loaded and going on trails. The tank loaded should be about 120 lbs lighter than yours loaded. I do have a drawer system and a substantial rear bumper.

Thanks

blupaddler

Conspirator
I have the 864's. I would highly recommend them.

On our Baja trip in January, my 80 actually sat a little lower than level when we were all loaded up. Granted this was a 17 day or so trip. But you have the drawers, rear bumper, etc...

The 864 may give you a bit of the "stink bug" look, but it's worth the inconvience. BM put the "J" spring in the front of his 80. Also, it shouldn't be that difficult to sell your 863.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
As Robb mentioned, I run the 863 J's in the front and the 864's in the back.

On my last trip, i loaded my rig with gear for 4 people and a fridge, food and such for 4 days. At this time i did NOT even have ANY rear bumper on my rig and i was sitting flat before i filled the aux tank, once i filled the aux tank, we were sagging a little in the rear. That is with the 864's! That is with NO rear bumper at all! Once i put my rear bumper on it will be even worse!

Even though it was sagging a little, the truck drives and handles awesome fully loaded with the setup i have and i love it. It difference between the 863's and the 864's is very noticeable!

I will be adding a drawer system a rear bumper and a bunch of "trail spares" to my rig soon, so I have been debating on going to even stronger springs then the 864's!

Where are you located at? If your local to SD your welcome to come check out and test drive my rig.

Any questions feel free.

P.S. I sold my 863 rears within an hour of posting them on mud for almost what i paid for them!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78