Manifold Cooking

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
I just got Manifold Destiny and read it yesterday. More commentary than recipes but it was a very enjoyable read. I think it provides some good ideas for getting into the idea of engine cooking and I'm looking forward to giving it a try one of these days.
The commentary ranged from LOL to ********, but YMMV. I give the book :chowtime: a hungry guy and two :26_7_2::26_7_2: thumbs up!

I too ordered the new version, about 6 bucks on amazon:
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002N2XG36/ref=oss_product"]Amazon.com: Manifold Destiny: The One! The Only! Guide to Cooking on Your Car Engine!: Chris Maynard, Bill Scheller: Books[/ame]

wjeeper

Yep, nothing like some hot food for lunch or dinner!

Moab2010025.jpg

That is the perfect spot! I am gonna have to copy your set up. (if thats ok of course) A piece of exhaust tube a scrap of angle iron, simple yet effective!
So do sealed cans explode?

We usually took a nail and poked a hole that just barely pierced the can. The hole is just big enough to equalize the pressure but not really big enough to let the contents spill out of the can.

Ala5ka

VX'er
in Alaska we use something called the "hotdogger" that attaches to your snowmachine exhaust and cooks hot dogs and such, they also make a pressure cooker variant for soup

90063376WjBwWAqk.jpg

ScoutII

Adventurer
What I dimly recall from thermodynamics is that like a lot of things, heat energy varies with the inverse of the square of the distance. So 2X further away = 4X less heat energy and 4X further away = 16X less heat energy.

Yep.

My engine is pretty much oil leak free. Just wondered if the food would have some off taste as it not a new truck that for sure. Looks like a bit of trial and error would be needed to see how long it takes to warm up the food. For me I would like to have some sort of air tight box just so I'm not eating oil smoked food. Like posted above (can of xxx)

A couple of quick engineering notes to aid your discussion!

Heat transfer is accomplished through 4 principles: Convection, conduction, radiation and Mass Transfer. Your purposes only need the first three. Radiation decrease by the square of distance. For the cooking your talking about, convection is the most powerful in the engine compartment.

Cans can easily be heated to 100-150C, as the retort process generally takes the cans that high. Thats what the accordion "bellows" are for on a can.

Carbon Monoxide used to be used regularly in meat processing. Ever get hamburger that was bright red on the outside but grey on the inside? The stuck it in a CO chamber to freshen it up. Used to be pretty common. So I wouldn't worry about that.

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
So do sealed cans explode?

I've only exploded 1 can, a can of Spahgettios:Wow1:

But that in Cali, in the summer, after a (slow) 9 hour convoy.

I had a similar set up as I posted of my CJ, but in my 5 Ton 'Bobtail'.

It sure made a mess under the hood!

I think it was becuase we were moving so slow, and that big deisel engine got pretty hot under the hood.:snorkel:

ccarm

Adventurer
It seems like you could have an entire weekends worth of food made just off the manifold. Burritos, Tacos, anything canned. I have to try this out on my next trip. Great ideas everyone.

RichardAllen

Defender Version

Sorry to introduce a limey element to this very interesting thread, but have any of you guys put any kind of cooker under the bonnet (hood ?) of a Land Rover defender with a 300TDi engine ?

Regards
Richard

HARDTRAILZ

Certified
Yall motivated me and I just ordered my copy of Manifold Destiny to help me get in on the fun. Now to find a spot for a warming box...

MakersTeleMark

Adventurer
I cobbled mine together from various parts. It sits on the coolant return line on a 6.2 diesel and gets hot. Works great.

Attachments

• IMG_3529.JPG
    IMG_3529.JPG
    285.5 KB · Views: 203
i think what he is saying is that the gap you have between the manifold and basket wont quite do the job. but i think it depends on what your cooking and how long its in their.
I have a Muffpot cooker and it has a bigass hoseclamp and bracket to fasten to a exhaust manifold to heat it.

AeroNautiCal

Explorer
I've seen an online pic of an aluminium pressure cooker that had been reconfigured so that the 'pan' section custom fitted the exhaust manifold.

The lid/seal/pressure release valve were all unmodified, and it was a very neat installation.

Last edited:

AeroNautiCal

Explorer
Sorry to introduce a limey element to this very interesting thread, but have any of you guys put any kind of cooker under the bonnet (hood ?) of a Land Rover defender with a 300TDi engine ?

Regards
Richard

Perhaps ask the guy in post #10, here, as he specifically mentions manifold cooking on his LR.

...when my Mr's is cooking stuff on the engine manifold...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan