Manual 5sp Transmission Tundra?

Flagster

Expedition Leader
Looking at the 1st generation tundras to haul a FWC and am wondering if the Manual tranny is solid or should I go with the auto...I know the 05+ Tacomas have issues with the 6 speed transmission...
Haven't been able to find a 4x4 manual tranny after 2004...were they available in 05-06?
Will probably end up with an auto but was wondering if anyone has experience with the 5 speed manual in the Tundra...

SC T100

Adventurer
My understanding is the 5-speed in the Gen1 Tundra is the R150F, same as in the T100. I also think it came only with the 3.4. No V8 manual was offered on the Tundras. It's a stout trans and was used in the Tacoma/4runners too I believe. But FYI, I have the 5-speed T100 (basically the same powertrain as you are looking for) and it's no speed demon. Just be aware you wont be going anywhere in a hurry. :sombrero:

Last edited:

SC T100

Adventurer
What kind of mpg will do you get with the 5 speed, 3.4 T100?

My tires are a bit oversize from stock, so the odo reading mpg ranges from 15.7 to 19.5, but in reality it's closer to 16.5 to 20 using gps distances. Low mileage comes from city driving or high-speed (70+ mph) highway (needs a sixth gear badly for modern speed limits). High mileage comes from cruising in the 45-60 mph range. I average around 17 in general, mixed driving. I don't drive super aggresively, but I don't hyper-mile it either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breezy78