Manual or Auto...THAT is the question.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
This is a great thread!

What would you consider deep enough or proper gearing for a XJ (my rig)running a AX-15 and 31" tires?

If we are talking about *technical* terrain, and being able to finesse your way through some nasty spot that would turn most people away...

...low range, 1st gear, 60+:1.

Basically, you need a 4:1 kit in the transfer case (yea yea, do any of use *really* need anything???? :sombrero:)

The downside to a 4:1 kit is that there is very little overlap between low range/5th gear and hi range/1st gear. So, you are either going slow, or you're not. Much of the typical terrain encountered with *overland* type travel, is not what I consider "technical". Not even close.

For general bumming around the back roads, seeing what is over the next hill or around the next bend...4.10's in the diffs and leave the t'case alone. You would be sacrificing the finesse (that comes with the 60+:1 gearing) for flexibility. I find myself going between hi and lo range quite a bit due to the deep gearing. It's worth it to me...maybe not to everyone else. Up to them to decide.

grahamfitter

Expedition Leader
I've always driven manual transmission vehicles. My Jeep Rubicon LJ is a manual and I can't really imagine it any other way. I like it a lot. That said, I must admit to recently and begrudgingly start approving of most modern automatic gearboxes which do a pretty good job.

The biggest advantage, IMHO of course, of the slushbox is simply this: You can drive it with one hand and one foot and you can chose which. So if you happen to break an ankle, dislocate a shoulder, etc. you can drive yourself out.

Cheers,
Graham

Cackalak Han

Explorer
You can drive it with one hand and one foot and you can chose which. So if you happen to break an ankle, dislocate a shoulder, etc. you can drive yourself out.

Great point. I separated my shoulder skiing one year and had to get another friend to come pick me up, since I couldn't drive my car (manual transmission). The car sat for over a month while a recooperated. If it had been an auto, I could've had no problems driving around. Same thing happened when I blew my knee out (skiing...once again....). I will have at least one auto in my garage because of this. My set up currently is a auto truck and a manual commuter car. I will most likely keep it set up this way (auto truck/SUV and manual car).

saburai

Explorer
The biggest advantage, IMHO of course, of the slushbox is simply this: You can drive it with one hand and one foot and you can chose which. So if you happen to break an ankle, dislocate a shoulder, etc. you can drive yourself out.

Cheers,
Graham

Great point!

Still love my five speed:sombrero:

RedRocker

Adventurer
Automatics rule in technical terrain- period. Infinite control, left foot braking and a torque converter all make the process of navigating technical obstacles for elegant and easier on the vehicle. An automatic also makes road miles more relaxed and traffic in big cities easier.

However, I prefer a manual for the enjoyment of rowing my own gears, the additional challenge in technical terrain and the ability to push start, and keep driving in case of most failures in the unit, most often to the next town.

IMO of course ;)

That about covers my thoughts too. I got my first auto 06 LJ Rubicon recently, haven't wheeled it yet, but looking forward to checking it out. Mostly I'm in traffic and after 45 years of stick shifts, I'm ready to give my left leg a rest.

RedRocker

Adventurer
My last truck, was a 7.3 with a 4R100(4spd auto). I burned that trans up in short order... through no fault of the transmission....

This time around, I opted to put a NV4500 behind the Cummins....I tow and drive alot, and the cost to upgrade the transmission to hold my power, would have been a 5-6k.......compared with buying the trans 1500, and adding billet input and mainshafts, and a STRONG clutch.... I saved more money to put into the turbo, pump work, etc... Only issue, is sometimes feathering the clutch is NOT an option.... its TOO grabby.

In MY case, that is a trade-off I am willing to live with......

Chase

Good luck with keeping 5th gear on the shaft, I had the nut back off mine four times, went to an NV5600 six speed, expensive but great move.

RHINO

Expedition Leader
The downside to a 4:1 kit is that there is very little overlap between low range/5th gear and hi range/1st gear. So, you are either going slow, or you're not. Much of the typical terrain encountered with *overland* type travel, is not what I consider "technical". Not even close.

excellent, i agree and i will add, to overcome that missing middle i love a doubler, i have a 4.7 doubler in my cruiser and it leaves me the stock hi and low, and adds lower and stupid low.
but its overkill for the travel being talked about here and an expense that can be put to much better use.

chasespeed

Explorer
Good luck with keeping 5th gear on the shaft, I had the nut back off mine four times, went to an NV5600 six speed, expensive but great move.

Well, that, was one of the things addressed when I was building the truck...

I had the option of putting a 5600 in... and drove my buddies truck for a week with that trans... wasnt planning, at the time, to be doing THAT much heavy towing, plus, my build was initially focused on Sled Pulling...

So, 5600 input, billet main, different 5th gear, with a small tack on the nut for good measure, etc....

Plus, I dont shift into 5th until 55(I have 3.55s)... wont roll in OD at less than 1500rpm.... just seeing how it holds....

Not the fastest shifting trans in the world, but, its stout.

If I have a problem, I MIGHT go over to a 5600..... as much towing as I am doing lately......

Chase

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle