manual shifting delay normal?

MontySquareo

my Montero with the 5 speed auto and tiptronic seems slow to shift in manual mode. in drive it happily runs through all the gears without problems, but I throw it in manual mode and pick a different gear and it takes a second or two for the transmission to shift. after driving some other manual shift automatics (bmw) i noticed that they don't have a delay in manual mode. is this delay in the monteros normal? i always thought it was, but a faster shift would be nice. it makes sense that an old truck transmission isn't as fast as a new sports car transmission though.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
My 2002 Gen3 runs through the gears just fine. Its not a lightning fast dual clutch assembly, but it moves fast enough that there is no notable delay. However, I am mostly only using manual mode when off-roading at slow speeds.

MontySquareo

ok well yours sounds the same as mine then. the bmw i drove wasn't a dct, but it was close to a dct in shift speed.

OliverPhotograph

If your car has a manual mode, it's typical for the shifting to be delayed compared to newer sports car transmissions. However, suppose you feel worried about the delay, there are a few things you could try.

Firstly, you ought to ensure you're using the appropriate techniques. Different transmissions require different approaches, and some need more deliberate shifts; meaning you may have to lift off the throttle before shifting. Others require more aggressive and speedy moves.

If you've tried using the appropriate techniques and still face any delays, there might be some underlying issues with the transmission. It's wise to take your car to professionals who can diagnose and repair or adjust the necessary issues.

MontySquareo

its not a long delay, and doesn't change with throttle or engine speed or vehicle speed. and the people at the dealership have service manuals, but i doubt they have much experience with monteros. that's why im asking here. i always thought the delay was normal, but I just wanted to check.

alanymarce

"a second or two" seems a long time to me. We use the manual mode routinely on descents (we live in the most mountainous country in the Western Hemisphere). I don't sense any delay in the gear changes - perhaps half a second or less. This is at "highway speeds".

MontySquareo

i just used manual mode yesterday, and I was mistaken earlier when I said a second or two. its a little under one second to shift. thanks for your feedback!

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
Out of curiosity, when is the last time the ATF was changed?

MontySquareo

January, but I don't know when it was serviced before that. the filter was still a factory filter and there was quite a bit of stuff in the pan (friction material, not metal) so my grandpa probably just did drain and fills. the fluid that was in there when I changed it was dark red, and didn't smell burnt and I've never had any problems with the transmission exept a few weeks after I changed the fluid i unplugged the TCM to get to the 4x4 computer, and when I drove it again it had a shift flare between 4 and 5th gear. the flare went away after the TCM relearned that shift. i try to keep up on my fluids, the front diff is next whenever I get around to buying more gear oil.

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
I'd recommend a full flush with Mitsubishi AFT.
Disconnect the cooler line and pump out the old stuff after draining and filling the pan. Hit the starter a few times and pump, fill, pump, fill...until you've flushed the entire system.

These transmissions are bullet proof if you take care of them.

Cheers

Last edited:

Cruisn

Adventurer
does drive time effect this? like is it slow shifting when cold? these boxes are also crazy sensitive to fluid level and type of fluid. use the original OEM mitusbishi oil. Although in saying that I run the castrol oil in mine with zero poor effects after 20k kms on a new box. and its shifts crisp and quickly.

CharlieNorth

These are an Asian transmission, use their oil be it branded by them or one of the OEM users like Toyota, BMW Etc that have this family of transmissions. I would not use off brand oil that claim to be compatible, with .... everything.

Cruisn

Adventurer
These are an Asian transmission, use their oil be it branded by them or one of the OEM users like Toyota, BMW Etc that have this family of transmissions. I would not use off brand oil that claim to be compatible, with .... everything.

Gen3 and the ns gen 4 are Jatco boxes. Aisin boxes came in late model NT Gen 4 wagons in Australia. 2008ish.

As for oil, its just needs to match all the specs for temperature vs viscosity, I spent many many hours digging around on this as I couldnt get Diaqueen 3 here in turkey where I swapped my gearbox.

CharlieNorth

Gen3 and the ns gen 4 are Jatco boxes.

NO they are not.
The 5 speed I have here that is installed behind a 3.8 Mivec is an Asian. I have bought and installed numerous parts for it. All the parts are Asian, not Jatco. All the part numbers, boxes and documentation are Asian.
All the 4 and 5 speeds in Gen 3 are the same internally other than one additional clutch/gear set.
In my 48 years of owning, driving and building Mitsubihis I pretty well know what I have and what I am doing.

MontySquareo

i think your both right, in a way. everything I've read and found says the gen 3 transmissions are jatco, including the xls 4 speed, but the jatco transmission is the same design (same case, fluid, and transfer case) as the aisin transmissions, and may use the same parts. i haven't seen anything to prove my hypothesis wrong yet, but I haven't seen anything to prove it right either. my transmission is slightly overfilled right now but the shift delay has always been the same, cold, hot, new fluid, old fluid, so I think it's just how the transmission works.
has anyone used the idemitsu spiii fluid? it says it's for hundais and kias and Mitsubishis that use spiii, and it's cheaper than the Mitsubishi fluid. its not a universal fluid. i know you guys like the factory stuff and will probably say any other brand of spiii is garbage

also (off topic) does anyone want a free transfer case with bad switches on top? https://expeditionportal.com/forum/...fer-case-driveshaft-and-related-parts.238159/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears