Mapper's gen 2.5

mapper

Explorer
Mechanic who did the work on the truck swears up and down it is lifter tick and everything is all good. He also said he'll keep the truck until it is silent...manually bleeding or replacing lifters if needed. He knows it was silent when I dropped it off because he always checks. Here's to hoping it gets silent and I get it back soon!

off-roader

Expedition Leader
See my humor is returning already. Sunday was just a bad day for me and the Montero
No worries. We all have those!
Mechanic who did the work on the truck swears up and down it is lifter tick and everything is all good. He also said he'll keep the truck until it is silent...manually bleeding or replacing lifters if needed. He knows it was silent when I dropped it off because he always checks. Here's to hoping it gets silent and I get it back soon!
sounds like a decent mechanic!

mapper

Explorer
sounds like a decent mechanic!

Yes. He drove the truck a bit last week hoping to get the lifters to "pump up". No dice. So Friday he told me he ordered new lifters and plans to install them this week. I'm swamped this week and out of town for a long weekend so I just asked him to have it done by next Tuesday. Hopefully then I'll get to start actually driving this thing!

mapper

Explorer
FINALLY!!! Got my Montero back from the mechanic. :coffeedrink:

Between his schedule, waiting for parts and me being out of town; the lifter repairs were supposed to be done early last week. That got delayed a little bit, then some scum bag tried to steal my catalytic converter while it was parked outside of his shop :smilies27

In the process the Y-pipe got damaged. The mechanic didn't jerk me around on any of it...aside for how long everything took. He got a y-pipe from the salvage yard and had a brand new MagnaFlow cat installed along with new o2s. Probably not a bad thing given my truck had been burning oil due to the valve stem seals (the original job). He got the safety and emission inspections done for me and that's the only bill he had me pay. The lifters, y-pipe, cat, O2 and labor were all charged as warranty work on the original valve stem seal job. The job took waaaay too long for a laundry list of reasons and even though I wasn't doing the work I still got a couple gray hairs throughout the process. But I got the truck back late last night and it runs silently and beautifully. Going to get it licensed tomorrow so I can begin driving it and gaining some faith in it before hitting the desert. Heading to Swell this weekend but, regrettably, probably not taking the Monty just yet...haven't had enough time with it.

Here's the list of maintenance now completed since purchase:
Timing belt
Timing belt tensioner and pulley
Water pump
New (updated) crank bolt
Accessory belts
Cam seals, front and back
Spark plugs (NGK)
Spark plug tube seals
Spark plug wires
Valve cover gaskets
Valve stem seals!!!
Lifters
PCV valve
Oil filter
Air filter
Oil
-the above cost was $1500 minus the lifters which were covered under mechanic warranty, I supplied the spark plugs, wires, cam seals and new crank bolt (~$120 for those parts).

Unexpected work due to theft:
Used y-pipe
New catalytic converter
New O2 sensor.

Next in line:
Horn stuck on, figure out why
Driver's power seat works intermittently, figure out why
Replace in dash, mid-range, speakers (all others are brand new and mids were simply removed?)
Get ready for brake system refresh
Larger tires, has nearly new tires but 235/75-15s
AND
Drive, drive, drive!

Last edited:

KarmannMarco

Adventurer
Congrats on getting the truck to a point you can now enjoy it!! I've got two Monteros that need valve stem seals , timing belts , etc.....basically most of the above. Such a pain in the rear but the trucks are worth the effort. Enjoy!

Jay Ayala

Explorer
FINALLY!!! Got my Montero back from the mechanic.
The job took waaaay too long for a laundry list of reasons and even though I wasn't doing the work I still got a couple gray hairs throughout the process. But I got the truck back late last night and it runs silently and beautifully. Going to get it licensed tomorrow so I can begin driving it and gaining some faith in it before hitting the desert.

Next in line:
Drive, drive, drive!

That is awesome. I'm so glad you got your truck back. What an amazing feeling to know that the rig is back. I went through quite a bit more than you did on my own truck. I did an entire engine overhaul on my Raider. I had so many problems throughout the process. But I'm glad to report that earlier today, I passed the DEQ emission tests and successfully registered my vehicle for the first time since 2008. This has been a long time coming so I understand exactly how you feel.

I'm not sure if you caught my earlier threads or not, but I also posted about the valve seals with the rope trick, and another thread on how to service the Lash Adjusters (lifters). My rigs runs super clean now and really, really quiet, oh yeah, super smooth too. That's the best feeling in the world.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mapper

Explorer
That is awesome. I'm so glad you got your truck back. What an amazing feeling to know that the rig is back. I went through quite a bit more than you did on my own truck. I did an entire engine overhaul on my Raider. I had so many problems throughout the process. But I'm glad to report that earlier today, I passed the DEQ emission tests and successfully registered my vehicle for the first time since 2008. This has been a long time coming so I understand exactly how you feel.

I'm not sure if you caught my earlier threads or not, but I also posted about the valve seals with the rope trick, and another thread on how to service the Lash Adjusters (lifters). My rigs runs super clean now and really, really quiet, oh yeah, super smooth too. That's the best feeling in the world.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jay, your recent threads are amazing! and will be soooo helpful to this community. I originally wanted to do my valve seals too and your write-up on the rope trick is better than anything else I found on the method. I ultimately decided I had too many other projects on my plate and wanted to get this job done before S. Utah gets too hot for some weekend romps. I never thought taking to a mechanic would take so long but considering everything now new on my truck for the price I paid I don't regret it. My gut told me to pay someone else for the expertise/time/headaches this time...in the end it seemed to work out.

Glad you got your truck running again too. I can tell you are excited. These are fun to drive. I'm looking forward to getting some miles on mine...still a few things to work out yet. Unfortunately I'll now need to pick a vehicle to sell, I've got 4 up and running now. Makes me sad because I like them all for different reasons but space is getting tight, I hate seeing them sit and maintenance is a lot to juggle because it is never "done".

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Jay, your recent threads are amazing! and will be soooo helpful to this community. I originally wanted to do my valve seals too and your write-up on the rope trick is better than anything else I found on the method. I ultimately decided I had too many other projects on my plate and wanted to get this job done before S. Utah gets too hot for some weekend romps. I never thought taking to a mechanic would take so long but considering everything now new on my truck for the price I paid I don't regret it. My gut told me to pay someone else for the expertise/time/headaches this time...in the end it seemed to work out.

Glad you got your truck running again too. I can tell you are excited. These are fun to drive. I'm looking forward to getting some miles on mine...still a few things to work out yet. Unfortunately I'll now need to pick a vehicle to sell, I've got 4 up and running now. Makes me sad because I like them all for different reasons but space is getting tight, I hate seeing them sit and maintenance is a lot to juggle because it is never "done".

At this rate we will be hitting 100 or more in May in Moab, I'm not ready for an even higher fire danger and water restrictions. Pray for a long, wet Spring.

mapper

Explorer
At this rate we will be hitting 100 or more in May in Moab, I'm not ready for an even higher fire danger and water restrictions. Pray for a long, wet Spring.

You're not kidding. I hit the local foothill trails (hiking, running, biking, not 4x4) and the trails are almost getting to be dusty already. Usually in March they are a sloppy, muddy mess that more resembles small creeks than trails. My trees at home are already leafing out and my daffodils are wilting after barely flowering. This spring has really been warm/dry and at this point I fear for July/August.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
You're not kidding. I hit the local foothill trails (hiking, running, biking, not 4x4) and the trails are almost getting to be dusty already. Usually in March they are a sloppy, muddy mess that more resembles small creeks than trails. My trees at home are already leafing out and my daffodils are wilting after barely flowering. This spring has really been warm/dry and at this point I fear for July/August.

All of us are fearing it. I hear people saying how much they are enjoying this early warm weather, but I don't think they really understand what this means in the long run. Over spring break I know of several people who encountered snakes in the area, never a good sign.

mapper

Explorer
Storm coming in today is looking cool. Just finished my DMV run and now I've got plates on the Montero. Something about driving it with looming storm reminds me of the scene at the end of the totally radical movie Point Break. I guess the Monty just has that early 90s down under aura to it. :ylsmoke:

Jay Ayala

Explorer
...Glad you got your truck running again too. I can tell you are excited. These are fun to drive. I'm looking forward to getting some miles on mine...still a few things to work out yet. Unfortunately I'll now need to pick a vehicle to sell, I've got 4 up and running now. Makes me sad because I like them all for different reasons but space is getting tight, I hate seeing them sit and maintenance is a lot to juggle because it is never "done".

Hey mapper, Judy just asked me to ask you if you have a Gen 1 LWB that you might want to sell. She may want to buy it.

mapper

Explorer
Hey Jay, Thanks for the interest but this is the only Montero I have. I haven't decided which car will go yet. I'm also testing the Montero as a potential way to downsize from my primary travel and camping vehicle, which has been an AWD Astro van. I'm not sure the Montero has the space we need (3 large dogs and we're often carrying bikes/gear too). If I decide to let the 2.5 go I'll put it up here first.

mapper

Explorer
Over the weekend I finally had the time to give the Montero got some much needed attention:

-Found a used, but nearly new, set of Hankook Dynapro AT/M RF10s for sale in 31x10.5. Got those installed and it looks and drives SOOOO much better. Had P235 75 15s from previous owner. Losing the sidewall flex really helps the steering feel. 31s still look kind of small in the wheel wells and I'd like 33s, but at $300 for good quality, lightly used ATs this will suffice for now. Very happy. Drove up to Snowbird (ski resort) yesterday and got into a little snow on the road...could spin a little accelerating but tires gripped with authority on some brake tests. :bike_rider:

-Shot some brake cleaner at my front ABS sensors and got the ABS light to turn off. Will clean them thoroughly in the near future when I get around to doing a brake job. Tried to get ABS to activate with a little snow on the road in the mountains, no luck....as in I couldn't initiate a slide with the new tires. Brake pedal is super spongy (needs fluid exchange) and caliper sliders probably need to be cleaned/lubed or replaced. All for another day. Having my dash free of illuminated idiot lights makes me :).

-Diagnosed my stuck on horn. Previous owner told me about this issue and he had pulled the fuse. Common problem with the pad between the copper contacts in the steering wheel wearing out. It first presents in cold weather. I put the fuse back in and horn works normally in these temperatures. All good for now and I can honk at people with my cheesy sounding Mitsu horn. I will try to repair that pad before next winter, it requires pulling the airbag unit off the steering wheel and drilling out the rivets holding airbag to horn pad....so not a job to rush through. More information to follow when I gear up for the job :coffee:

-Fixed my power seat. Removed and disassembled the switch. Shot it with some aerosol electronic oxidation remover/cleaner (Wurth contact ol) and worked all the switch activators. All seat movements started working like they should. Shot some more contact cleaner into the switch, lubed up all the tracks and mechanisms with aerosol silicon and put it all back together. Nice, and more comfortable, to have a functioning seat again!! :wings:

-Sprayed all the door hinges, door handles, key holes and the sunroof mechanism/slider with aerosol silicon. My sunroof actually moves really well and I want to preserve that because it's really nice to drive with it open :sombrero:.

-touched up a boat load of rock chips, nicks, etc.

-Found my rear sway bar links to be in baaaad shape. Probably originals. Tightened them down for the time being, works well and quieted suspension down but will order some new ones soon.

-Removed all rear seats except driver-side rear jump seat. Makes nice space for the dogs and lets me carry one rear passenger, limo-style, if needed.

That was it for the weekend. Bunch of little things but now I think everything on the truck is back to proper, working order. I know, pictures would be nice...but I was squeezing all this in, a little here, a little there next to other weekend activities and a good day of April storms skiing.
:coffee:

Last edited:

mapper

Explorer
OH...I almost forgot. Conditioned the leather on my front passenger seat and steering wheel. I had already installed an aftermarket cover on Driver's seat a few weeks ago because the leather is in such bad shape so I didn't get to that one. The way the leather deteriorates in these trucks I figure conditioning has to help. Will do a second application and try to get drivers seat later this week.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan