Maps for Baja on and off road

Rickbfried

Observer
I'm looking for a solution, android based for use in Baja. Google Maps works ok on road, with a cell signal, but traveling off road it's borders on useless. Thanks in advance.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Well, they are not exactly building a bunch of new dirt roads down there ;)

The highway sections have certainly improved since the almanac was printed but there shouldn't be much confusion there.

I've done a half dozen trips into Baja, the map is all we have ever relied on including camping trips up and down the coasts as well as racing & chasing the B1k, it's that good imo.

If you're after digital maps, we used these throughout MX, CenAm & SoAm. Pretty decent option:
garmin.openstreetmap.nl

My partner and I spent the early part of this past winter exploring the out of the way places in Baja and I posted a report here http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/139451-Off-The-Beaten-Track-in-Baja. For most of the routes we covered, including the really out of the way places, the iOS or Android app Maps.me had the track. We found the most common error is the road was improved compared to what the map showed, but it also showed some tracks that were pretty rough as well as much of the Baja 1000 race course. Maps.me uses Open Street Maps and the maps are downloaded for off line use.

Baja_Traveler

The Baja Almanac has been out of print for quite some time now. You'll be lucky if you find a source that has it in stock, and then expect to pay at least twice the cover price. The author died late last year, and the travel group Discover Baja is trying to get the rights to reprint.
That said, Maps.me is a great app that has the same level of detail as my Baja Almanac, and it works stand-alone so you don't need a data connection. I'm studying the option of using the Motion-X app and downloading detailed topo's of Baja - getting the app is easy, but in all the posts on the net I can find so far, a good source for map tiles is never discussed. I just started looking though...

I failed to mention this in my previous post and I know the OP was requesting an Android based map, not paper, but the Baja Almanac has been mentioned a few times. The National Geographic maps, while not as detailed as the Baja Almanac, are probably the second best choice in paper maps for Baja and what we used for route planing. ITMB maps are also a good paper option.
For digital maps that are not GPS compatible, but works with any device that can read PDFs, I have PDF copies of all the Mexico SCT maps available on my website for download. You can zoom in with enough detail to read the maps on a tablet or phone. In the end, you can never have to many maps of an area.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears